Caterpillar Penguins Await You!

Yes, Peeps. Step right up and see an anatomical wonder. Here, in this very post, a magical marvelous surprise that will entrance and intrigue and delight you beyond measure! It’s a lepidoptera oddity! It’s the caterpillar that wears peculiar perpendicular penguin pajamas!

9083257536_f0b362e888_z
“Look closely! It’s a caterpillar that looks like it has little penguins on his back! Found this pic while browsing reddit.” -Edward D.

Comments

1. Very stylish!!

2. Maybemaybeknot says:

Looks more like penguins laying on a blue Persian rug-runner!

3. Ick! Army worm! You’re not going to think it’s so cute when they’re raining down on you.

4. JenDeyan says:

There are many wonders in this world…

5. I don’t like bugs of any kind but I have to admit that a caterpilar wearing pinguins pyjamas is cute.

6. The Original Jane says:

That would be a great bracelet if it would stay put for awhile.

7. If I didn’t know better I’d think that was a embroidered bracelet on Etsy.

8. O.k. who’s been doing nail art on the catepillars ?

9. I recall them from one dry summer when I was a kid. My grandparents’ old farmhouse had them crawling under the front door, up to the ceiling and through the house to the back door where they exited. They were a wave about two feet across. I hated caterpillars/worms even before seeing that. :(

10. I’m not entirely clear what body part that ‘pillar is on. 8O

11. I don’t think that’s an Army Worm,but darn’d if I know what kind it is.. I’d like to know what it turned into and how it was marked.

12. renni, I wanted to retch imagining that wriggling mass. That sight would have haunted me for a lifetime. You and I harbor the same feeling towards caterpillars and worms.

13. kodalai says:

Gosh! Sounds like something out of “Little House on the Prairie.”

14. Bring another barf bag for me.

15. It’s an Eastern Forest Tent Caterpillar

16. Oops. My error. Just simply Forest Tent caterpillar. Not to be confused with Eastern Tent Caterpillar.

17. Birdcage says:

I think this is a run-of-the-mill tent caterpillar (at least they are run-of-the-mill here in Southern Ontario where they get together and build gross flossy ‘tents’ in trees … a group of these little guys can completely strip the leaves off a moderately-sized tree, actually…) The resulting moth is not nearly as colourful or interesting as the caterpillar is!

18. This, dear friends, is a forest tent caterpillar. They are a huge problem in Vermont: http://www.vtfpr.org/protection/ftcfrontpage.cfm. One of the few creatures I don’t feel bad about squishing. No matter how “cute” or “cool” their markings are, they are insatiable, voracious things.

19. zolabunny says:

Get this person some Eucerin STAT

20. doonbug.roo11 says:

definitely and army worm… turns into a fuzzy moth. Which is cute until you have them everywhere – in some ways almost worse than having actual army worms as they die quickly and pile up fast…
    can’t say I ever looked close enough at them to notice their back pattern… I was more of a “never go outside” kind of person when they showed up around my house.

21. Forest Tent Caterpillars! Few people like them, which is a shame. They are extremely valuable to the health of a forest. They do defoliate a great deal, but all the poo becomes very good fertilizer. Healthy trees will recover from their insatiable appetites, ones that are sick or otherwise weakened are brought down faster and become valuable food and shelter for many.

There are few things more…surreal than walking through a forest of trees and thinking you’re hearing rain, when it is caterpillar poo raining down from the leaves!

22. addacat says:

This is beyond redonk. Looks like somebody knitted this catty a penguin sweater.

23. Linux-pillar?

24. HAR!!! (this is an exact quotation from twenty seconds ago in my living room. ;) )

25. Like a Hermes caterpillar !

26. Oh thanks CO. You’ve found my missing sock.

27. kittykat416 says:

I thought it was a heel at first, but it’s actually on the inside of his wrist (with the rest of his hand extended down so you can’t see it)

28. And just in case there are any clinging doubts of the tent caterpillar’s grossness, those “tents” look more like someone sneezed on the tree. It’s really, really gross and nearly impossible to get rid of them.

29. sabrina rose says:

OMG! I never knew such a thing happened……raining caterpillar poo??? Ugh icky ugh yuck! And the penguin markings are so charming. Are there no natural predators?