Flashback Friday

In the 1930s, milk was delivered fresh to your doorstep, by a cute little kitten milkman. Remember? Here’s to the good old days.

Photographer unknown, 1930, via Haute Catture

Comments

1. Killer Klown says:

I think there’s something wrong with your order, ma’am.
    Need to test it for freshness…

2. The dim part of me is always shocked by how old times photos look so much like the photos of today. “Oh look, kittens looked like the kittens of today!” -_-

3. CoffeeCup says:

Oh, did I eat all the cookies? I did.

4. I know what you mean! I love the “Vintage Cats and People” Tumblr because all the people look different from modern ones, but the cats look the same, like they’ve just traveled back in time.

5. Vintage kittenmittens!

6. PhysicsProf says:

Back in the days when the milkman left the glass bottles on your back porch at 4 a.m. and it was 20F outdoors, the milk froze, and like most water-based liquids expanded in volume. This popped the cardboard cap off and a column of frozen milk extended above the neck of the bottle–and of course it was before the days of homogenization, so what you actually had was some basic ice cream. The neighborhood cats who roamed about at night went from porch to porch licking the frozen cream off the bottle. Yes, dears, I am old enuf to remember this.

7. Robin A. Moir says:

And the dense, dense cream was at the top: the best for curious cats.

8. They also act the same, which really shows in old movies.

9. Sharon Wilson says:

Oh, bad kitteh! Reminds me of a show I saw once of tits pecking through the tops of milk bottles to drink the milk, but this kitten goes way farther.

10. phred's mom says:

Moi, aussi. *creak*

11. I saw that, Sharon Wilson. The little bird tore the foil off the top of the milk bottle and was gobbling up all the cream that came to the top. I even remember seeing a milkman taking the full milk bottles and those little birds were all ove the tops of those milk bottles. The reason those birds went after the cream was they need the fat to help them survive.

12. I would of grabbed the bottle and the kitteh so I could feed that poor little kitteh some fresh milk :D