Holy Upside Down Bat Butt-Fuzz!

That was the subject line of the email we received. Can you beat that as an attention-getter? Nope, no way. So let’s find out what’s going on here.

“I was walking to grab lunch in Cleveland when I spotted this little guy (or girl) taking a nap in broad daylight! I bring you: Eastern Red Bat butt-fuzz! Who knew that lower back hair could be so cute?” -Snapped and submitted by Miranda R. (Ashley P. also helped.)

8705557616_8680052f7e_b

Comments

1. weaselwardancer says:

jeez I hope you didn’t touch it. bats out in the day where they could be easily attacked by a predator are usually sick, frequently rabies.

2. There hasn’t been a confirmed case of bat rabies in Ohio in decades.

3. This bat has fuzzy britches like my part-Maine Coon kitty (aka pantaloonies, as I like to call them).

4. Theresa says:

GingerBat

5. yes, very true! they are freaking cute but beware of bats out during the day.

6. Opie Bat.

7. Lucy's Mommeh says:

It probably just couldn’t find it’s usual place to root & did the best it could. I wouldn’t freak out over it. I’ve never seen this bat, we usually just get the little black/grey one. Nice shot!

8. Lucy's Mommeh says:

ROOST, no root. *sigh*

9. Agent99 says:

We just found a brown bat on our back porch the other day (mid day). He had fallen asleep in a container and wasn’t hanging (so he couldn’t take flight). It had been a out of the ordinary swelteringly hot and humid day here and we figured he sought out the cool plastic container to nap in. Knowing they can’t jump off the ground like birds to take flight (they can only take flight from a hanging take-off position), we carefully and gently woke him up at dusk, offered his back legs an uplifting ride on a nice branch and lifted him high enough out of the container so he was able to fly away. We were very careful and dressed protectively as we were aware of the danger of rabies but all turned out okay. We wanted to help since thousands of bats around here have succumbed to white nose syndrome and have mostly died off. Our little visitor looked very healthy and we were happy to help him.

10. I call my kitty’s cat-floof-pants her MC Hammer pants :)

11. Holy Ginger Chiroptera, Batman!!!

12. 6rabbits says:

To be better informed regarding rabies and bats, please follow the link below.

Batworld.org/rabies-info/

The bat above is not a “downed” bat since it is clearly roosting. Red bats roost in trees, hanging from branches like leaves, so they are used to some light. Does it look to anyone else like she may have a baby with her? It’s that time of year. It blows my mind that she can hold on to cement like that!

13. It looks like she has babies. They have up to four babies and carry them with them up to a certain age. It’s a Western red tree bat. Here’s a video of me brushing orphaned baby red tree bats after feeding them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhIbRqRU6h8

14. Yay for bat rescute!!

15. I live in Cleveland and go to Case Western, and two years ago there was a little guy just like this, clinging to the medical school library I walk past everyday. Must be a Cleveland thing! S/he hung out there everyday for a week.

16. Merissa says:

Bat-tocks!

17. Second the yay. I love bats, not only for their cute little pantaloonies, but also for eating up all those nasty mosquitoes.

18. It’s a steampunk bat, a former goth that’s discovered brown.

19. Bats invade my mom’s house every summer and cling to the window frames (on the inside) to roost. Six, seven, who knows how many at a time. I became acquainted with the problem when I was asleep on her couch and a bat crawled across my foot. (Fortunately I had socks on.) I would throw towels on them and carry them outside, with them clicking and struggling the whole time, but after awhile I just gave up and let them fly around.

20. Bats are adorable. They look like mice with wings.

21. BatBlaster says:

d’awww, how fluffy. Don’t see many bats around here, but I assume that is just because they have different hours than I do. Unless I go to the aquarium or a zoo or something.

22. lisaLASSIE says:

Thank you for helping the little critter.

23. 6rabbits says:

Good Grief! Where do you live?! 8O How are they getting inside in the first place?

24. The bat is in trouble. This pic came to our facebook/batworld page a couple of days ago. This is a red bat, a common US tree bat. They have babies this time of year, and are often attacked and driven to the ground by birds. This could be a young mother with babies tucked under her wings. She needs to be assessed for injuries by a bat care professional. We have information on our site that includes a list of bat rescuers across the US. I am hoping she found help: http://batworld.org/what-to-do-if-you-found_a_bat/

25. Best thing I’ve heard all day. LOL

26. I hope so too, Lorraine Kurtz.

27. AWW :D