The Deer Whisperer

Let the comparisons to Bambi begin!

“We were unpacking the car from a trip when this fawn stumbled across our yard and into Maya’s arms. The fawn had a good sense about Maya and followed her every step. They were inseparable. Maya knew it needed its mother, who we believe was off eating and recuperating from the birthing, so she led it back to the woods. We have not seen the fawn since.”

-Cuteporter Brad H., whose daughter Maya obviously has a bright future working with animals.

The Deer Whisperer from Brad Herring on Vimeo.

Music: “Yes I Know” – The Black Lillies.

Comments

1. What a sweet story! Obviously the fawn knows how to pick a rescuer. I love how gentle and patient Maya was with her newborn friend.

2. Holy Hannah! I always think I’ve found the reason CO keeps me coming back, then I REALLY find it! <3

3. Bashful says:

Dang. I’m jealous of a little kid! :) I hope the fawn finds its mom and is okay.

4. SuburbanPrairie says:

Precious.

Maya, this little fawn trusted you. I hope you can appreciate how rare and special that is. And I hope you do pursue a life of service to animals. There are so many more little creatures like this one that need a caring human they can trust! :-)

5. So cute! Great video! Also great that you lead her back to the woods!

6. Tears in my eyes! What a wonderful child…….

7. Someday when that fawn is grown a little, maybe it will come back and thank her for her help.

8. What a lovely little girl you’re raising. I hope she’s as gentle with her siblings as she is with this little fawn :o)

9. Animals always have an affinity with children, I find, especially baby animals <3

10. gwyllion says:

she should not have touched it – does are known to reject offspring handled by humans

11. Maya is a wood nymph! If I was a little lost fawn, she’s the first person I’d go to for help, too.

12. I can’t agree – I watched my neighbor’s grandchildren stampede throughout my parents house and terrorize the cats yesterday. My cat held still while I held him for the children to pet for a minute, then he disappeared. My parent’s cat disappeared before the kids were through the door. I think this little girl has a VERY different energy that the fawn clearly responded to. I love the moment when she pets the fawn the first time – beautiful interaction!

13. What a wonderful, gentle spirit is Maya. Kudos to her parents for fostering such love in her. I’d love to know if she grows up to be a vet.

14. Yes that is unfortunate for the cats and for your parents. But I think probably those children have not been taught by their parents to respect annimals and also to respect other people by behaving themselves when not at home.

15. What a wonderful experience for Maya, I’m sure she’ll remember it for the rest of her life.

16. Rachael says:

That was my first thought too. Little Maya is a credit to her hoomans for sure. I just love it when kids have been taught to be gentle with animals of all species, ages and sizes.

17. Saffron says:

It makes me wish Maya was running the world…it would be such a gentle place.

18. I needed this so much today. What a couple of gentle souls.

19. Oh yes, that moment when she touches the fawn for the first time – sent chills through my spine! She is so beautifully gentle with the fawn. And then her leading the fawn back into the woods – love the little hand gestures. Kudos to the parents, and obviously to Maya!

20. Sharon Wilson says:

Of course the fawn wasn’t afraid–it hadn’t learned to be. Remember the fawn that was friends with the bebeh bobcat?

21. Thank you, parents, for raising a lovely child to be so respectful to other creatures that we share the world with.

22. What a beautiful gentle little girl! Having raised 4 orphaned fawns growing up (my dad was a forest ranger) I can appreciate the gentleness of the fawn. One word of warning, however, if you find a fawn please do not pet it with your bare hands (gloves please).
    The mother doe will not accept back the fawn if she detects the scent of a human on her baby. Of course, if you know the doe is dead (i.e. car hit it) then by all means you can rescue the fawn and use your hands – but always bring it to an animal shelter or if you are in a state park or national park – to the nearest ranger station. Thanks!

23. World’s youngest nature goddess.

24. Yes, I was pretty amazed when they just started wandering through the bedrooms and opening doors….

25. That Hoomin has no meelks! Meelk!! (very sweet story thank you. hope all is well!)

26. Beautiful video, but I am also worried for the little fawn; where is Momma? Is Momma panicked that she can’t find her kid or did she leave her fawn? Is Mom alive? If not, someone has to help the little behbeh fawn!

27. I agree with Gigi, D. Those bambinos have not been taught to respect ANYTHING!!

28. ummm, that’s very sweet but they just left the fawn to probably die alone so….

29. Seriously? NUFF said. Cough, cough.

30. Deer DO NOT reject their babies if touched by people. Mama likely came back and picked up her fawn, unless she was hurt: http://www.carolinawildlife.org/fawns.htm

31. JenDeyan says:

Bright futures for Maya and her friend!

32. The “animal moms rejecting babies that smell like humans” old-wives’ tale is a myth, for deer, birds, and almost all other species. The closest analogue to truth is that rabbits sometimes abandon nests that have been severely disturbed, usually by cats, and the smells of intruders can be a part of that.

33. Not true, although it’s best to leave the little bambis alone anyhow: see http://www.carolinawildlife.org/fawns.htm, and most other wildlife rehabilitation authorities.

34. rescue gal says:

Actually, that is a myth!! :)

35. Janet in Cambridge says:

So glad you had this experience. You did the right thing by leaving the fawn and letting its mom find it again. Touching it was not a problem, though not recommended unless necessary. Mama deer will still take care of their babies even if it has an “odd” smell about it.

Deer mothers will leave their babies for many hours hunkered down in the grass (hence all those lovely camouflaging spots!) staying safe and unseen and unsmelled. Babies don’t have much of a smell at that early age. This one missed the memo about staying put, but it will be all right. My guess is that mama found it again and all is good.

36. Mamabear says:

What a wonderful story and what a brave and kind little girl Maya is. I imagine it was hard for her to not beg to keep this bebeh Bambi that just showed up. “Can we keep him, mom?!”

As far as her touching it, most everyone knew that whole myth about human scent, but more importantly, I thought she showed great restraint. It would have taken all I had to not snatch him up, dress him, swaddle him, hold him, rock him, and give him a bottle, like a bebeh. :D

37. …and call him George.

38. This is so adorable!! I hope the fawn found its mother :)

39. olivialovesfurrycreatures says:

Love how Maya waited patiently for bebeh long legs to come to her…. and the subtle “come here” hand gestures. So cute.

40. KittyMarthaPoo says:

No words to describe how lovely that was. I too hope Maya has a future career caring for animals.

41. tenshihitomi says:

The wobbly fawn legs and shnoz in the camera did me in.

42. I’ve had a doe and yearling become ” family friends”. she started giving birth right in our yard, so we kept watch over her, locked up the dog, and kept the neighbours away (Neighbours in this case being very stubborn hawks who try to eat everything…They only leave the chihuahua alone because she killed one of the males)

We helped her and baby out of our yard, because she was not ready to jump over the fence. They visit every now and then, and while we mostly try to keep our distance she’ll come over, kiddy in toe, let us pet both of them (I know most wild mothers will charge and aim to kill if you so much as look at their kiddy the wrong way.) hand feed ‘em. Even the dog no longer barks. the kid plays with her.

Granted, we “scare” them away whenever other people are around, and we never let them stick around too long. Don’t want them to become dependant on us or too used to humans.

43. Thanks! Maya is my niece and has some amazing parents. Thanks for the kind words.