Hot. Pink. Slugs.

Only in Australia. Of course! Have a look and have a listen:

8906098176_b9754cdf6b
No Barbie Dreamhouse should be without them!

8906097904_53b6acb222_z
From Treehugger, for all your green, or hot pink, news.

Comments

1. Leilani says:

As a friend of mine says, “That ain’t pink. That’s PANK!”

2. Australia is weird.

3. This little critter has been making the rounds of the biology blogs for several weeks now, where the general consensus is that it’s freakish and gross (and also “wonderful life,” as Darwin put it). I’m pleased and amazed to see it on CO. Kudos to Pyrit and the CO team, for finding the cute in everything.

Have you guys ever done velvet worms?

4. Ernest, the kind folks here at CO aim to please, and do I need to say, they always do! The slugs are awesome and how cool to have the interview thingy posted here, too. Excellent!!

5. Given it lives in Oz, I’m wondering just how poisonous this thing might be. Look, but don’t use it to accessorize your daughter’s bedroom!

6. Alice Shortcake says:

Proof that even slugs can be FAAABULOUS!

7. Speaking of the flora, fauna, and geography of New South Wales:

8. Theresa says:

“Have a look and a listen“? This thing talks?

9. mary ann Broadus says:

aren’t they wondeful ?/ They’re REAL, I read about them elsewhere…

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM, Cute Overload wrote:

> ** > pyrit posted: “Only in Australia. Of course! Have a look and have a > listen: http://blogs.abc.net.au/files/slugs-web.mp3 No Barbie Dreamhouse > should be without them! From Treehugger, for all your green, or hot pink, > news.”

10. orcgirl says:

That is on par, disturbing wise, with the banana slugs :|

11. Rachael says:

I’m having trouble wrapping my arms around these guys (metaphorically speaking) but I’m not as grossed out as I thought I’d be. The color certainly is spectacular! :)

12. Marilyn says:

I don’t care what color they are. Slugs are NOT cute! Interesting, perhaps, but not cute!

13. Blue Footed Booby says:

My dad spent some time in Panama with the Army. He was taking a power nap and a banana slug crawled across his face. His buddies just watched this happen.

SCIENCE FACT: when threatened, banana slugs exude slime that’s even stickier than normal. It’s so sticky that it can (temporarily) glue shut the mouths of attacking predators.

14. I’ll see your velvet worm, and raise you a poodle moth!

15. orcgirl says:

I’m right there with you. I once saw 2 slugs attempting to make slug babies and I wasn’t sure what was going on; I googled it and scarred myself for life a second time! Ick. The only legless critters I consider “cute” are baby snakes…

16. SlaveToCat says:

I think I coughed one of these things up once.

17. Smartypants says:

Does anyone know what the hole on slug’s back is – some sort of nostril or ear-hole, perhaps? A slime vent? I remember the banana slug had one too. (since it’s on top, I don’t think it’s their, uh, butt).

18. sabrina rose says:

Bleah! Double bleah!!

19. It’s like a slimey, mobile red hot.

20. It’s called a pneumostome, or breathing pore.

21. Ok, it’s cool, but that is NOT cute *shudder*

22. Smartypants says:

Thanks, allein!

23. OK, I bit. I had to look up the velvet worm and the poodle moth. Wonderful creatures, all of them. I do think that the pink slug is cute, though not sure that would be my reaction if I found the 20cm thing crawling on my lettuce!

24. You BETCHA.