Home Alone Two

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

“My friend Raeann H. and her daughter Makenzie S. took these pictures of bebeh boids hatchingks at their house. It’s pretty amazing and these bebehs are the very definishe of ugly/cute at the same time. The photos are dated to show the progression. Enjoy!  P.S. – Note for nuffers: no boids were harmed in the process of taking these photos. The Mom observed carefully but did not dive bomb photographers or reject bebehs.” Your faithful sender inner, Erin C.

Comments

1. AWWWWWWWWWWWW!

2. murkle46 says:

Check out the Frogmouth.

3. murkle46 says:

i.e. google Frogmouth

4. Semi-related: when I was in the sixth grade, in science class we had some eggs in incubators to hatch. The teacher told us that once the eggs began making noise and moving around, we could watch but must not touch, and if we tried to “help” the chick hatch after the process began, we would kill it. We dutifully waited patiently for them to come out in their own sweet time.

But I’ve always wondered: why would it harm a chick to “help” it hatch, once it had already pecked a hole in the shell? Anyone know the answer?

5. Mamabear says:

Lawl, LOVE the PS! Good preemptive.

Bebeh boids are so cute/creepy.

6. We just hatched bebeh ducklings in my classroom in an incubator. It’s very tempting to pick at the shell to help them hatch once they’ve started, but not a good idea. One of my co-teachers did a little bit of picking and blood came out of the egg, which was gross and scary. The duckling was OK, but we were worried.

7. Blue Footed Booby says:

Not a bird expert, but I know newly hatched (or immediately pre-hatching) chicks are incredibly fragile. She probably just wanted everyone to leave them alone to prevent accidents.

8. Saffron says:

Such wonderful photos!

Now I must go and sing Circle of Life…..

9. *Harmonizes*

10. wow you have birds too man you must have a farm!

11. Mamabear says:

*Starts a round*

12. Ok,, while no birds were harmed, while it’s really kewl and all it’s still best to just keep yer distance. Why tempt fate? Let nature be nature.. without human intervention. I could point you to many articles on the Colorado Springs newspaper where an owl couple had the misfortune to build a nest in a tree in a Walgreen’s parking lot, and of course everyone thought that it’d be really neat to climb the tree to see the owlets, saying that it was a “free country and we can do what we want. O.o DNR finally had to move the nest.

13. Birdcage says:

I lurves me some uglee-qte! I have a mamma cardinal nesting in my honeysuckle bush outside my kitchen window at home. The shrub desperately needs pruning but I won’t touch it until she’s done brooding and the behbehs have fledged!

14. I’m disappointed we didn’t get to see just a couple more pictures of the little darlings as fat fledglings :(

15. When I see newly hatched baby birds I can really see the dinosaurs they evolved from.

16. Raeann H says:

I’m sorry Terri…We only stopped to check on them once daily but when I was able to catch the second bebee hatching, I snapped a few extra that day. I swear it wasn’t but just 2-3 days after the second bird hatched that they were gone. It happened so fast!

17. When I was little, I remember there was some kind of bird nesting in the bushes right outside one of our windows. We covered the window with cloth and set up a camera on a tripod. I could look through the viewfinder to see the baby birds, and once a day after school I was allowed to press the button to take a picture. They were my science project.

18. sabrina rose says:

Cool idea – how loving and wise of your parents to show you one of nature’s miracles and teach you about reverence for nature! I have wanted to invest in one of those cameras that fit partly inside a nesting box. But there are lots of friendly little Bewick wrens in my yard who use birdhouses, and it’s really fun to watch Mama feeding them, hearing babies cheep, and being there on the day they fledge and fly outside for the first time.

19. *sigh* Nekkid baby boids are all winglets and mega-eye capsules when they are born.

20. * Guffaw. *

21. lisaLASSIE says:

THank you for taking care of the little birds!

22. Barb Pies says:

What type of bird was the Mom?
    Burdlovr