As CO Peeps, You’ve Seen It ALL

Buuut? What’s a hermelin? Y’know, maybe there’s some hermelin things we don’t want to know.  And that’s OK, hermelin. No really, hermelin! . . . it’s OK . . . seriously! Hermelin! We mean it!

Piss off, TheCatsandNews

Comments

1. Looks like a skwerl to me ..

2. That sqwerll ? chipmunk ? ferret ? it’s moving too fast for me to tell. What ever it is it’s like a living laser dot !! Kitty has NO chance to win that battle!

3. 1. “Hermelin” is another name for an ermine.

2. That hermelin may be trying to kill the cat, because that’s how stoats attack large prey, by repeatedly jumping on their back and biting the back of their necks:

4. It’s a stoat.

“Hermelin” is another word for Ermine, and ermine = stoat.

5. Agreed… they’re also known as stoats, and they kill rabbits way bigger than they are. I hope those owners are careful. That didn’t look entirely playful. That was relentless…

6. Whoops! Forgot the link:

7. Lenabena says:

Nice marmot

8. It’s still play fighting.

9. sabrina rose says:

Golly, I held my breath for the whole video! Cat and ermine looked pretty evenly matched!

10. I actually saw this on The Bloggess earlier this week — she was seeing the cat/ermine interacting as herself/Internet — the dialogue between herself and the Internet while she tries to work…. pretty funny:

11. That looks an awful lot like the weasel war dance…quite cute

12. I don’t know who to feel sorry for, the cat for being harassed by that little furry missile, or the ermine if the cat get a good hold on it :lol:

13. My thoughts, exactly.

14. I see some Russian writing up there. Should I be concerned that there are Hermelins in the Kremelin?

15. Theresa says:

ERMEHRGERD A HERMERLERN!

16. edmundh says:

I tried to look up “Hermelin” on Wikipedia, but by mistake I got “Hermelín”, which is a kind of Czech cheese. Man, was I confused.

17. fleurdamour says:

It reminds me of the epic fight between Austin Powers and Mini Me.

18. fleurdamour says:

Or the Hermitage.

19. Or the Kermelin?

20. oh crud. is it election season again?

21. Theresa says:

HERHERHERHER!

22. :)

23. doomchild says:

Okay Theresa please stop now, my tummy hurts from laughing… :D

24. Theresa says:

I’m ernerstly serry yer termmy herts. :P

25. Theresa says:

It’s nert a mertmert.

26. Theresa says:

Vert, vert, vert, lerk a berber stert.

27. Theresa says:

So they’ re all thr same fermerly– hermerlerns, sterts and ferts. :mrgreen:

28. Ermagerd..

29. Hahahaha you guys are all way too funny : )

30. Isn’t that Ozzie the Weasel grown up a bit and applying his weasel war dance to a live victim?

I think my cats wouldn’t have any patience for that sort of behavior. It would probably be the last war dance for that weasel.

31. A MOVING picture:

[WARNING: INCLUDES GRAPHIC FOOTAGE OF CIRCLE OF LIFE. --Sharpy]

32. Stoat! <3 He's just playing, even if it looks relentless and mean. If he really wanted to inflict some damage, the kitty'd be bleeding. That poor cat is awfully patient, though.

33. “Piss off”? That just sounds wrong for Cute Overload.

I wonder if I’m going to get moderated for quoting the post like that.

34. Theresa says:

Um, really, was it necessary to post this here?

35. I feel sad now. To have all the other rabbits looking on getting one of their relatives killed was not nice to watch. But such is nature I guess, it´s cruel out there. :(

36. Love it. The cat is obviously not prepared for the squiggly-wiggly thing always getting underneath its feet, hehehe.

37. emmberrann says:

Ferts?

38. Rachael says:

Apparently a(n) hermelin is some sort of caffeinated ferret on crack. :)

I’m sorry I watched the stoat killing the rabbit. I know it’s part of nature and the cycle of life and all that, but I don’t need those images in my head. :(

39. Lucy's Mommeh says:

Anne, I love you so hard right now cuz you read the Bloggess. The ermine/stoat/weasel thingy vs the cat terrifies me, honestly. That critter was out for blood.

40. Lucy's Mommeh says:

*here* is an adorable weasel war dance done in a house, on a bed, with a big fluffy not alive toy. Enjoy!

41. Theresa says:

Yers.

42. I thought people would think it’s cool and appreciating watching the stoat apply this wacky superspeed behavior. Also there’s epic weasel war dancing in the beginning…

Didn’t occur to me that it would offend anyone…

**Confused offensive biologist**

43. Meh! I didn’t realize at the time that would upset people.

That rabbit probably had a MUCH better life and a quicker death than whatever the domestic stoat (domestic anything) is eating : / I posted that video with educational intent and to share my awe at the stoat’s astounding abilities, not with political intent, but I t think that’s something all of us who own omnivorous/carnivorous pets need to remember: the sacrifice that we take with force (we don’t ‘ask’) from animals lower on the food chain because we prefer the company of their hunting brethren.

Anyways, apologies for making you feel shitting – wasn’t the goal, I promise.

44. hah, *shitty. Derp.

45. emmberrann says:

Ner, yer nert serry at erl. Yer made me lerff!

46. januaryfarmer says:

Shoot. I like a little controvery now and then. Hope there was a ref for the original match. I too am afraid of blood.

47. Another biologist here, and I share your view that it was a fascinating video, in the “that’s how nature works” sense.

48. I admired the cat for its patience for putting up with the relentless badgering by that little whatever-it-is. I’m a kind-hearted soul, and I know the small ferret thing was just following its nature, but I would not have been too upset if that cat decided to skewer that little whirling dervish. I was feeling uncomfortable and annoyed just watching that thing!

49. Psychethos says:

I thought it was interesting, and both bunny and stoat were cute. The fact that one of them killed the other is just how nature works, nothing offensive about it.

50. Martha in Washington says:

I don’t think that kitty stands a chance! She’s all “will you please stand still for just one minute so I can pounce on you properly!!”

51. I’m thinking a ferret is NOT one of those pets who lower your blood pressure.

52. Theresa says:

Ferrets are for people who find kittens insufficiently stimulating.

53. fleurdamour says:

“Vote vote vote like a baby hermelin!” doesn’t really have the same ring, does it?

54. I am an animal lover (evidenced by my 2 spoiled rotten kitties), but I have also not lived as a city person, but as a ranch person, so I know that while animals can be cute, they also have to kill to survive and it’s natural for them. Because so many of us humans have removed ourselves from nature we get these kind of complaints. Humans Now get their food from a store, no growing, harvesting and hunting required. Of course these sophisticated humans will be in big trouble if the grocery supply line ever becomes disrupted, by war, disaster or ….wait for it….Zombie Apocalypse!!! The human race will be doomed!! :D (Yes I’m a little weird. :p)

55. Maybe not for the stoat? I don’t know their behaviors well enough. But watching the cat’s posture and ears, at no point does it look like it’s scared, aggressive, or even concerned. As you can see with cats, animals still like to practice their hunting skills, even when well-fed and cared for.

56. Oceanview says:

Yes, I almost got car sick watching it.

57. The title of the video says it all – if we don’t want to watch a stoat kill a rabbit, we don’t have to watch. I appreciate your thoughtfulness – I found the video interesting for the reasons you state. BBC does a lot of fine work.

58. Theresa says:

Nert ert erll. :D

59. I agree – that life exists without killing is an irresponsible illusion maintained by long supply chains. Also, evolving to hunt and/or escape predation is (in addition to sexual selection blahblah etc.) a major process that creates all the really cool (and cute!) forms and functions we see in animal life!

And yeah, BBC is phenomenal. Sir David Attenborough for the win!

Thanks for the back up, guys : )

60. Unless those rabbits are very closely related, the other bunnies have little reason to interfere; The cost of potentially injuring themselves/expending energy relative to the benefit of how many of their own genes are perpetuated by the scufflle just doesn’t the favor altruistic behavior. Also, the other bunnies are competitors, and it looked liked that area was SUPER populated with rabbits too O_o.

(A cool thing to look into is how well genetic likeness between two individuals predicts things like helping behavior – ants are a great case study. Also, there are things like ‘inclusive fitness’ in which behaviors that may hinder one individual’s fitness are still favored because they perpetuate genes shared by beneficiary related individuals in the group. If you’re looking for warm and fuzzy biology, looking into behaviors that resemble altruism is a fun one : )

61. Same here, Gigi :lol:

62. lisaLASSIE says:

“We sell weasels by the seashells.”

63. I don’t know why this exchange struck me so funny, I snorted and have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. Thanks!!!

64. kristabelle41 says:

I know! Mine, too!

65. Theresa says:

Yer werlcerm.

66. This is apparently what stoats do when it is not election day on CuteOverload.