What’s Up, Dok?

“We put together a montage of little elephant Dok Mai’s adorable moments at Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai, Thailand. We are travel bloggers who are based in Chiang Mai and love animals (and your website too). I go to ENP about twice a month just to be with the elephants there and I’ve fallen in love with Dok Mai so lately I’ve spent most of my time with her.” -ขอบคุณ to Cuteporter Ligeia.

Comments

1. Absolutely adorable!

2. I agree, so very adorable, but do they ever get out of that crumby, little cage?! All of that footage appears to be in the same, barren piece of square footage. Not even a tree!

3. I love it when little elephants run – the sound of splashing water made it even better! (0:36 and 2:16)

4. Birdcage says:

I was just thinking, “I’m in the mood for a scooting behbeh trunkster!”

5. 260Oakley says:

I love a good Dokumentary.

6. Cute little trunky girl. Cute name, too—means “flower.” Lots of Thai elephants wind up getting saddled with fancy, grandiose names, but I like the down-to-earth approach they’ve taken here.

7. Oh, and to gmarie3–the ENP has lots of nice wooded hilly areas and a river spread out over 800 hectares (2000 acres, or a little over three sq mi). Not huge, I guess, but there’s plenty of open space. The pen you see in the video is used for feeding, bathtimes, and I guess as a sort of maternity ward, but they roam widely much of the time.

8. She sure is a busy little elephant!

9. marthava says:

Well, I’m ded…ded as can be. The Qte killded me.

10. rescue gal says:

This seems to be a very little baby. She may be being kept away from the herd till she is larger. Also, it may be the only place that is safe for these people to interact with the elephant.

11. Don’t you just love the way she is absolutely clueless what to do with her hind legs? (hind legs? is that the correct name? If not, forgive me, English is not my first tongue :) )

12. I loved the whole thing, but the bestest bestest parts: nursing from Mom (who looked so proud, btw) and trying to pick up her front leg with her trunk. How I wish I could see her in person!

13. I thought I’d better comment before my brain completely disintigrated from the overload of cute that was that scootin’ bebeh trunkster. Did you see that stompy running, hither and thither? Did you see it! Are you not ded?

14. I think that if I were were to die and come back as an animal, I’d want to be a baby elephant. They just seem to have so much fun! I mean, I know that pretty much all baby animals play and explore, but there’s something about little trunksters that seems especially fun and amusing!

15. Ffanffan says:

\(^0^)\ Bamboos!!! /(^0^)/ Water slide!!!

16. :-D

17. Smartypants says:

Hi Jerzowa – yes, ‘hind legs’ is correct.

18. ohsoqte says:

She’s like an elephant kitten!

19. Rachael says:

Yep, trying to pick up her front leg with her trunk just pushed me over the edge. I would watch her all day long.

20. Aaaaaaannnnd now I want one. Baby elephants are good apartment pets, right? Right.

21. …are you ever not in the mood? Behbeh trunksters are always welcome!

22. Scooting bebeh trunkster could use some break pads in those first few seconds. I wish I could be as happy as that little girl all the time.

23. mrtsmom says:

Hind legs is absolutely correct! And yes, her lack of coordination is utterly adorable.

24. Hi there, it’s wonderful that there are people out there who worry about this and ask these questions. The world needs more people like you. Because she is so young she needs to stay with her mother. It would be unsafe to let her out to roam around if she is too young. But, I’ve got good news for you! Just yesterday she was let out and had her first mud bath! Pretty soon, she will always be free of her cage and wander with the herd of elephants her mother is a part of. :)

25. Robert Moffatt says:

Dear Rescue gal,
    Not to worry. I was there about 11 years ago. The elephants are all in great shape, and they are surrounded by jungle, with a river flowing through it. The focus of the place IS the elephants, and I saw nothing but good there. I took a trek through the jungle on one of the elephants and it had a baby with her that was only a bit larger than the one in the video. It was a wonderful experience for me and I highly recommend a visit there if you like to travel.

26. Dok Mai just had her first mud bath yesterday!!! Be sure to watch this video too! http://youtu.be/TsquXQ5LV1c

27. She looks so incredibly happy! And I love her hair-do :)

28. Hi Smartypants – thanks! :)

29. mplsdeb says:

arr arrr

30. mplsdeb says:

Well, whether they are hoomin or pachyderm…kids… will be kids.

31. Laura DragonWench says:

Not only that, but it looked as though she ran into the problem of “Well, okay, I’ve got my trunk around my leg, but how do I let go?” Watching her try to coordinate the two was just hilarious. :D

32. Laura DragonWench says:

I was just going to comment on the same thing. That stompy, slightly wobbly, ‘zoom, zoom’ action of the bebeh lelephant just killed me! And I really want to be the person manning (womanning?) the hose! They need volunteers at the ENP, right? I don’t speak a word of Thai, but that wouldn’t stop me. :)