Turtles and Tortoises and Terrapins, Oh My!

Everybody flap your flippers!

74458_10151330950182374_1272379293_n

Today is the 14th World Turtle Day, the annual holiday founded in 2000 by American Tortoise Rescue!

There are so many ways to celebrate! Starting with giving turtles a helping hand.

8702524579_21da0123ed_b
Or two.

8702524613_e3f6b9bbc9_b
Or three.

8702524693_553911fc25_b
Play connect the dots. Baby tortoises love this game.

8703643918_d8d2005a94_b
Tongue twister competitions! Spiny terrapin-spiny terrapin-spiny terrapin.

6a010535647bf3970b0133f493886f970b
Slow down for turtles.

sav-turtle-xing
See who can say, “AWWWW”, the most:

Another great way to celebrate is to donate to your favorite save the turtles organization!

8268400406_9b2aa02453_z

6a010535647bf3970b017d3ccf2b16970c-500wi
Australian Western Swamp Tortoises, Asian Spiny Terrapin, Green Sea Turtles, Egyptian Tortoise, American Western Pond Turtle,  Zooborns and the Monterey Bay Aquarium

Comments

1. Madame X says:

Video is all, like, Duuuuuude!

2. “Good afternoon! We’re gonna have a great jump today!”

3. Fird Birfle says:

YAY T’s and T”S (not wet tshirts in this thread folks turtles/ tortoises )

also peeps there is a Bob Tortoise. He has a FB page and some other access points. I’m not sure whether this will come up as logged in under my facebook or just with his info. I am also aware of another Grumpy tortoise-y guy in I think Arizona who has a webpage but I don’t have that info to hand at the moment. Ok well Here goes for Bob at least:

4. Good to see you, Fird Birfle. You’ve been missed. Bob T. Turtle looks like he has some crusty tales to tell.

5. Hey there Fird Birfle, long time no see. I’ll be sure to check that âge tonight. FB not being accessible from work.

6. Ummm… If it started in 2000, this would be the 14th World Turtle Day, not the 13th.

7. Awwww……Tortoise Day!!! These guys are too Cute!! Happy dance…

8. details, details… :)

9. Turtles are proof that it’s not necessary to be furry to be cute! :)

10. Theresa says:

Firdie, is everything OK?

11. And don’t forget our adorable little buddy, Kevin the Tortoise!

12. And also some tough toitle love!

13. Smartypants says:

The spiny terrapin! Biodiversity is awesome.

14. Boids too! they are not furry, and they’re cute!

15. I have a THANG for bebeh toitles…

16. Iva, i absolutely concur!

17. Rachael says:

Everything okay in your world, Fird? We’ve missed you and your most excellent commentary. Please don’t stay away so long, okay?

18. My boyfriend and I rescued a turtle once. Or maybe it was a tortoise, I’m not sure. Anyway, we found it sitting smack in the middle of the road and we had to take it before someone squished it. We named him “Bucky.” He stayed inside his shell most of the time in the car, except when he occasionally stuck his head and arms and legs out and waved them around frantically in midair and glared at us in a decidedly ungrateful fashion. He had shovel-shaped feet and long claws. We kept Bucky with us for about half an hour, until we arrived at my parents’ island summer residence, then we let him go and he immediately legged it for the water, plopped in and swam away.

19. Yeah, yeah, ok, ok, I’ll fix it, I’ll fix it.

20. lisaLASSIE says:

Wonderful to see you here, Fird.

21. bob drummond says:

sorry I missed World Turtle Day !!! I should’ve been on it right away !!! :-( :-( :-(