The Wild World O’ Cute

traveler-photo-contest-logo_65913_160x120 Look at these great photos (#1-5) as seen on My Modern Met.com. (Others from NG site.) They’re all part of the 25th Annual National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest, going on now. Click the logo at left to enter (you’ll need to set up a National Geographic account, or log in with an account from Google, Yahoo!, Microsoft, etc.)

8745845467_4d63475e50_b

8745845557_e23dd939fa_b

8745845657_4e4fb52e85_b

8745845739_cd536bd74e_b

Hanging Around - 2013-05-13_205912_spontaneous-moments.jpg

TvyamNb-BivtNwcoxtkc5xGBuGkIMh_nj4UJHQKuoXVJnJyNFXtL69HHCT6kpF18OznWFZ2jjdALHw

TvyamNb-BivtNwcoxtkc5xGBuGkIMh_nj4UJHQKuoXVJm9zZKAZYhjjYdftrXmGDXnMvtf8E6Kk7_g
1. Photo and hover by Gary Migues/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest.
2. Photo and hover by Adam Lichtcsien/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest.
3. Photo and hover by Petra Bensted/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest.
4. Photo and hover by Richard Sidey/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest.
5. Photo and hover by Peter Stanley/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest.
6. Photo and hover by Mary Gretchen Kaplan/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest.
7. Photo and hover by Francisco Mingorance/National Geographic Traveler Photo Contest.

Comments

1. doomchild (and Merri) says:

For the first time ever I stared at a CO photo with my mouth wide open.
    The egret is just stunning!

2. WOW!! Just you know WOW!

3. Rachael says:

The pictures are stunning!! Yeah, “wow” pretty much sums it up. Perfection.

I especially love the parrot, with his gorgeous coloring and intelligent eyes. But the bebbeh penguinettes, with their goofy little smilingks, won the day.

4. Coffee Cup says:

That fennec fox is so fierce, his main threat is illegal in other countries. Don’t make him say it to your face.

5. Thank you for putting the fennec last, ’cause it keeled me.

And oh yeah, that egret is AMAZING.

6. And oh, the parrot, the minkeys, the bebeh penguins, and the bebeh gorilla are also all extremely cute. And the seal.

7. annette says:

The world is a beautiful place.

8. Love the hovertext on the egret photo. I know of a website that sells those for human use….

[Er, I mean, someone once told me about such a thing. Sorry, Mom.]

9. i’m totally coffee blimp turnbuckle in my chair

10. whut? egrets? hovertexts? la perla?

11. stunning pics.

12. I don’t quite understand the hovertext over the fennec fox (who is ADORABLE) – “main threat is illegal in other countries” – what is this main threat that is illegal in other countries and cannot be named??
    Also, spelling nit-picking but it’s not Aquas Calientes, it’s Aguas Calientes with regards to the parrot hovertext.
    The photos are stellar though, good work photographers, wish I could take pictures like that!

13. The hovers came straight from that site, I didn’t get the ‘main threat’ part either.

14. Hovertext: “Egret with sexual feathers”? What do they do with them? 8O

15. Attract females ;)

16. Rachael says:

I was afraid to even ask. :)

17. Ladybird says:

I vote that fennec foxes are the cutest creatures. Ever.

18. I want to stroke those ears.

19. He looks like he’s really got places to go. Off on some important fox business.

20. I think it’s mother nature’s equivalent of, “it’s t-shirt time”. http://youtu.be/CjVkplphsBU

21. Tam :-) says:

Gah! Hovertext! The first picture is actually of a Pacific Harbor Seal. They are the only spotted seals in the US. Also sea lions are not as blorpy, have external ears, and have long front flippers. (The more you know…) Come on, Nat Geo! ;-)