The Slowest Spectacle In Sports: The Zoopolis 500!

Clipboard01Everyone knows about the Indy 500, but here’s an even bigger event- the Zoopolis 500! The events began at 10:30am ET. Quoting the Indianapolis Zoo’s site, “This event is always a favorite with fans and is held annually the Wednesday before the Indianapolis 500. The day features our tortoises hustling to the finish line to be the first to reach the abundant fruit platter. “Racing” Ryan was the first tortoise to cross the finish in 2012.”

Photos by Carla Knapp, video from the Indy Zoo.

1. SuburbanPrairie says:

I’d be hustling to get to that fruit platter, myself!

2. Saffron says:

Is it wrong that I am jealous of those torts getting to nom such a delicious fruit platter? :)

3. SuburbanPrairie says:

If it is, then color me wrong, too! LOL

4. Me too! Is that mango I see? = shoves tortoises aside and runs for the fruit =

5. SuburbanPrairie says:

Well that’s just showing off! LOL

6. Jimbeaux says:

That’s so wonderfully silly, and the sound effects make it extra-so. Good job, tortoises! (And I’m very glad they all got to nom from the plate!)

7. I see the tortoises and I have something in common. We all love strawberries. I loved how they had to keep righting the tortoises so they would go the correct direction :)

8. Yeah, that was the funniest part.

9. I love that the zookeepers go to such trouble to provide something special for the animals.
    And also, how the platters are held down by bottles of gravel – apprently silly tortoises have tipped them over in the past? :)

10. It’s enrichment for the turtles, a .fun activity for families to bring them to the zoo and they get a fun video to hopefully go viral.

All around win.

11. zolabunny says:

something about a tortoise earnestly chomping on a strawb makes me so happy

12. Wasn’t that same music used in a video with otters running around a yard?

13. lisaLASSIE says:

I love the kind of people who stage events like this. And of course the tortoises are adorable. I mean, impressive athletes.

14. Smartypants says:

Gotta love their checkered racing togs!