Doggehs ‘N’ Diplomas

480587_10151314441981348_1371447578_nWe’d like you to meet new grads Bridget E. and service dog Hero. She says on Reddit: “Hero knows over forty commands to assist me! He loves to retrieve objects like envelopes, pens, etc. He also turns off lights, opens doors, and he pulls me in my wheelchair up ramps! I couldn’t have gone to college without him!”

CO wrote to Bridget this afternoon and she responded: “I would like to add that I truly appreciate everyone’s good luck wishes! It is amazing to me that so many people have enjoyed the photo! If they would like to help future service dogs like Hero, please check out the Illini Service Dogs site & also on FB and YouTube. I’m the founder of the Illini Service Dogs, providing service dogs for free to people with physical disabilities.”

HuffPo says, “According to posts on Reddit, the photo was taken at the Saturday (5/11) convocation ceremony of the College of Applied Health Sciences at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.”

The story was originally submitted from Cuteporter Richard C., who added: “I think I may have found a photo that has made my heart grow three sizes today.”

Graduation ceremony photo from HuffPo. All other photos provided by Bridget E. Thumbnail hover borrowed from Fleurdamour.

1. Hero earned his Dogtorate!

2. 260Oakley says:

I believe he graduated wagna cum laude.

3. From his new alma mutter.

4. you know, I THOUGHT AND THOUGHT AND THOUGHT of something like that, and I couldn’t. I am therefore going to grab this, and credit you. Only fair.

5. fleurdamour says:

Yay! I have a CO credit!

6. :)!!!!

7. Elizabeth says:

This past Monday (5-13-13) my beloved 12 year old chocolate lab, Ali, touched the hand of God and went to Heaven. I miss her so much it hurts. But seeing Hero and the worthy work Hero does, reminds me that Ali is remembered because the work that our beloved friends do for everyone. Well done Hero, well done.

8. Hugs, Elizabeth. Ali knew she was loved. CO peeps are the best at sending comfort–here’s hoping it helps, even a little.

9. So sorry for the loss of your sweet Ali! I’m sure you gave her a good life and that you will have wonderful memories of her always!

10. Saffron says:

Sending many hugs and prayers to Elizabeth *hugs*

11. I’m so sorry about Ali. She loves and misses you too.

12. Mamabear says:

Sending love your way!

13. 260Oakley says:

All dogs are heroes, including your sweet Ali. Warm thoughts to you.

14. A month ago my sweetest cat-boy, Chester, went across the Rainbow Bridge. He was chocolate brown, like Your Ali. I’m going through serious depression, missing him so much I cannot express it even in my first tongue, not to mention English. I’m sending you lots of love. I have the feeling that Chester and Ali are good friends now.

15. So sorry for your loss, joasia…may your grief lessen with time but the sweet memories of your beloved kitty last always. in the meantime, co can be a real comfort.

16. Rachael says:

Elizabeth, I’m so sorry for your loss. I know how painful it is to lose a beloved friend like Ali. But you do know you’ll see her again… at The Rainbow Bridge. Warm thoughts and prayers heading your way, sweetie.

17. Aww! May they be best friends for years to come, and congratulations!

18. 260Oakley says:

In the Mod Lounge, enjoying flat champagne and dry sheet cake left over from all the graduation celebrations.

19. Saffron says:

Is it one of those awesome sheet cakes from Costco?

20. Is the sheet cake white with vanilla icing? I hope?

21. 260Oakley says:

Yup, with gobs of piping and blue roses.

22. ooo.

23. I love Hero’s gray goatee, it’s very distinguished. The perfect look for when he takes up his professorship.

24. I hear he’s going to be researching the distracting habits of–SQUIRREL!

25. Desdemona says:

Being distracted by squirrels is only allowed when off duty. This is just one of the things that makes service dogs so, so completely wonderful!

26. Such sweet photos! Looking at them makes me giddy with excitement cuz I’ll be graduating from high school in June! Please hurry up May! :)

27. Elizabeth thanks for posting, knowing we’re here for you.
    wrap your arms around you and feel our hugs

28. Jane
    remember charly browns dog snoopy?
    Snoopy is danc’ing an the air is full of confetti :)

29. Michelle says:

Hello from Champaign/Urbana! You and Hero makes us proud. Congratulations!!!!!

30. beeplaysbass says:

As a fellow Bridget, I have to say YOU GO GIRL!!! Also, Hero is aptly named. What a cutie.

31. pupfanatic says:

YES! And I personally think he looks absolutely fetching (yup, pun) in blue! What a complete cuteness.

32. Bridget and Hero, congratulations on your acheivement! I got teary-eyed looking at your photos, although I did snicker (just a little!) at Hero in his cap and gown! What a great story and what a GREAT dog!

33. Ayeesha says:

Can I just say that it is the height of hilarity and awesomeness that they sewed him a matchinks grad gown? And he looks so handsome and dignified in it! LOVE.

34. SOOO sweet! Congratulations! Your heart-warming story & pics just made my morning :)

35. mindadale says:

I went to school here (still live in town) and there was not a single doggeh in any one of my classes. Hurmpf.

36. GO ILLINI! I definitely saw Hero around campus multiple times! He seemed like a really sweet dog! Might have pet him once! Congrats on Graduation Bridget!