Doggehs ‘N’ Diplomas

480587_10151314441981348_1371447578_nWe’d like you to meet new grads Bridget E. and service dog Hero. She says on Reddit: “Hero knows over forty commands to assist me! He loves to retrieve objects like envelopes, pens, etc. He also turns off lights, opens doors, and he pulls me in my wheelchair up ramps! I couldn’t have gone to college without him!”

CO wrote to Bridget this afternoon and she responded: “I would like to add that I truly appreciate everyone’s good luck wishes! It is amazing to me that so many people have enjoyed the photo! If they would like to help future service dogs like Hero, please check out the Illini Service Dogs site & also on FB and YouTube. I’m the founder of the Illini Service Dogs, providing service dogs for free to people with physical disabilities.”

1C7391275-224215-568416066523562-2008597631-n.blocks_desktop_medium

HuffPo says, “According to posts on Reddit, the photo was taken at the Saturday (5/11) convocation ceremony of the College of Applied Health Sciences at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.”

pNbewCi

The story was originally submitted from Cuteporter Richard C., who added: “I think I may have found a photo that has made my heart grow three sizes today.”

photo-108

59592_10151314437821348_304641130_n-1

Graduation ceremony photo from HuffPo. All other photos provided by Bridget E. Thumbnail hover borrowed from Fleurdamour.

Comments

1. Hero earned his Dogtorate!

2. Elizabeth says:

This past Monday (5-13-13) my beloved 12 year old chocolate lab, Ali, touched the hand of God and went to Heaven. I miss her so much it hurts. But seeing Hero and the worthy work Hero does, reminds me that Ali is remembered because the work that our beloved friends do for everyone. Well done Hero, well done.

3. Aww! May they be best friends for years to come, and congratulations!

4. you know, I THOUGHT AND THOUGHT AND THOUGHT of something like that, and I couldn’t. I am therefore going to grab this, and credit you. Only fair.

5. 260Oakley says:

I believe he graduated wagna cum laude.

6. 260Oakley says:

In the Mod Lounge, enjoying flat champagne and dry sheet cake left over from all the graduation celebrations.

7. 260Oakley says:

All dogs are heroes, including your sweet Ali. Warm thoughts to you.

8. I love Hero’s gray goatee, it’s very distinguished. The perfect look for when he takes up his professorship.

9. From his new alma mutter.

10. I hear he’s going to be researching the distracting habits of–SQUIRREL!

11. Is the sheet cake white with vanilla icing? I hope?

12. Such sweet photos! Looking at them makes me giddy with excitement cuz I’ll be graduating from high school in June! Please hurry up May! :)

13. :)!!!!

14. Elizabeth thanks for posting, knowing we’re here for you.
    wrap your arms around you and feel our hugs

15. Jane
    remember charly browns dog snoopy?
    Snoopy is danc’ing an the air is full of confetti :)

16. 260Oakley says:

Yup, with gobs of piping and blue roses.

17. ooo.

18. I’m so sorry about Ali. She loves and misses you too.

19. fleurdamour says:

Yay! I have a CO credit!

20. Michelle says:

Hello from Champaign/Urbana! You and Hero makes us proud. Congratulations!!!!!

21. beeplaysbass says:

As a fellow Bridget, I have to say YOU GO GIRL!!! Also, Hero is aptly named. What a cutie.

22. Mamabear says:

Sending love your way!

23. pupfanatic says:

YES! And I personally think he looks absolutely fetching (yup, pun) in blue! What a complete cuteness.

24. Rachael says:

Elizabeth, I’m so sorry for your loss. I know how painful it is to lose a beloved friend like Ali. But you do know you’ll see her again… at The Rainbow Bridge. Warm thoughts and prayers heading your way, sweetie.

25. So sorry for the loss of your sweet Ali! I’m sure you gave her a good life and that you will have wonderful memories of her always!

26. Bridget and Hero, congratulations on your acheivement! I got teary-eyed looking at your photos, although I did snicker (just a little!) at Hero in his cap and gown! What a great story and what a GREAT dog!

27. Hugs, Elizabeth. Ali knew she was loved. CO peeps are the best at sending comfort–here’s hoping it helps, even a little.

28. Desdemona says:

Being distracted by squirrels is only allowed when off duty. This is just one of the things that makes service dogs so, so completely wonderful!

29. Ayeesha says:

Can I just say that it is the height of hilarity and awesomeness that they sewed him a matchinks grad gown? And he looks so handsome and dignified in it! LOVE.

30. Saffron says:

Sending many hugs and prayers to Elizabeth *hugs*

31. Saffron says:

Is it one of those awesome sheet cakes from Costco?

32. A month ago my sweetest cat-boy, Chester, went across the Rainbow Bridge. He was chocolate brown, like Your Ali. I’m going through serious depression, missing him so much I cannot express it even in my first tongue, not to mention English. I’m sending you lots of love. I have the feeling that Chester and Ali are good friends now.

33. So sorry for your loss, joasia…may your grief lessen with time but the sweet memories of your beloved kitty last always. in the meantime, co can be a real comfort.

34. SOOO sweet! Congratulations! Your heart-warming story & pics just made my morning :)

35. mindadale says:

I went to school here (still live in town) and there was not a single doggeh in any one of my classes. Hurmpf.

36. GO ILLINI! I definitely saw Hero around campus multiple times! He seemed like a really sweet dog! Might have pet him once! Congrats on Graduation Bridget!