Senior Moment

You’re never too young (or old) to have one…

8726836054_230749b8ce_b
From Sara L., “This is my 15 year old cat, Olive. She is the cuddliest grandma cat. Every person who meets her becomes a cat-lover, even the non-cat lovers. I adopted her when she was 10 years old. My hope is to send the message that adopting older animals can be extremely rewarding. They are far from damaged goods, and still have lots of years of love to give!”

Comments

1. She is Precious!

2. Olive’s lovely! I also plan to adopt a “senior” pet (cat) when the time comes. My previous cats have been 17, 19, 21 when they died, so I know a 10 year old is still full of life!!

3. She looks so sweet – I just wanna hug her! :)

4. Lucy's Mommeh says:

Oh, Olive, what a wonderful momma you have. I hope you’re enjoying being with someone who loves you enough to bring you in even though you weren’t a kitten. Your momma rocks!

5. Martine says:

Senior pets are more mellow..

Lovely Olive!

6. I totally agree.

7. She is very pretty and looks super soft!

8. We just adopted an 8-year-old cat and she is a real sweetie!

9. SlaveToCat says:

Olive is just like all Grammies. Sitting in the sunshine, smiling for the camera, surrounded by her flowering garden, and so proud of her resin lawn ornaments that came from the Christmas Tree Shop.

10. Olive looks like such a sweet and content kitty! Good for you for adopting an older animal and spreading the word about what great pets they are! Same goes for special needs animals…I adopted a cerebellar hypoplasia kitty going on five years ago and have never regretted it! (She’s actually the sweetest of my 3 cats but shh…don’t let the other 2 know I said that!)

11. Yay for Sara and Olive! When my 10 have crossed the rainbow bridge – many years in the future – I will go to my shelter and adopt the two that have been there the longest. That is my plan and I’m stickin’ to it!

12. Coffee Cup says:

Yes! Adopt adults and seniors! Not only are they already trained, and are likely to be calmer around other pets, strangers, and children, they require less constant attention (unlike kittens).

13. Desdemona says:

Totally agreed — kittens are cute and fun and all, but they leave shredded curtains and knocked over vases, etc. Older cats are (more) mellow and affectionate. Though they are still sometimes playful. My older cats will bat one of their toys around, but if they catch me watching them they will stop and walk away. It’s kind of like they are saying, “me, play with that ridiculous stuffed mouse? I’m way too old for that.” I have to let them maintain their dignity and pretend I don’t see them engaged in foolish whippersnapper high jinks.

14. Saffron says:

A shout out to The Tree!! <3 SlaveToCat so much! <3 <3 <3 Every time I go there I come out with a basket full of merch and think "what just happened?" :D

Yay to Sara L for adopting a senior kitteh. My 2 oldest kittehs are 16 1/2 and O loff them.

15. Saffron says:

*I* not O loff them. That was my senior moment. :)

16. Rachael says:

I will only adopt older/senior dogs or cats. There are so many of them out there, just waiting to find their final forever home. I don’t think you’ll ever be sorry if you scoop up a senior. You’ll be rewarded 1000 times over.

17. She’s a beauty!

18. kallisto73 says:

Hear, hear! Having said this, I just adopted a kitten, because my Ares will not put up with grown up cats. They’ve been together since Sunday evening. It is, um, exciting ;)

19. I adopt adult cats. They are so grateful for the love and security. Kittens are adorable but more than I can handle!

20. ShazzaNorth says:

Not only is Olive lovely – the photograph is too!

21. Coffee Cup says:

I have a soft spot for adult cats because they might have been given up a few times and I know they need to feel safe and secure most of all. At the risk of sounding insensitive, kittens will always be adopted. Adult cats and senior cats aren’t always that lucky.

22. OMG the roll over text.. PYRIT you are so awesome. also Olive is adorable.

23. Theresa says:

She’s beautiful, and the pic is a lovely composition

24. Theresa says:

I didn’t get that, KA. What does it refer to?

25. I adopt the oldsters! We name them alphabetically and were up to Q! Quidi (pronouced Kiddy) after Quidi Vidi in Newfoundland.

She was brought in to be euthanized. Her owners said she scratched the grandkids but she’s only got 3 legs! One in front – so that would be a pretty neat trick! I’d be ditchin’ the grandkids myself! I really think it was because she’s not fond of using the litter box…. D’oh!

26. I agree, Olive is beautiful and older kittehs are awesome! :-) My folks’ oldest cat, Calypso, was 9 when they adopted her 7 years ago and she’s still going strong. When my mom took her to the vet the first time (the same week she was adopted), the vet said she would have guessed Calypso to be half her age. Her only health issue is a kidney thing, for which she’s on a prescription food. She is deaf, but we’re pretty sure she’s been deaf most of her life. She’s a very nice black & white cat with kinda short legs and tail in proportion to her body size. :-)

27. Well I could be wrong but I immediately thought of this .. one of my favorite books from childhood

28. it threw me in the Moderations lounge probably for the P word let me try again, but suffice it to say I believe it is a reference to this book, a favorite.

29. I am trying to reply but the big green moderations machine keeps eating my posts. maybe Sharpy can rescue one of them.

30. okay look up the fire house cat for an explanation.

31. Theresa says:

Pickles the Fire Cat? I love Pickles the Fire Cat!

32. Love this! We took in an old, abandoned cat almost two years ago not thinking he would make it a week. He’s been the sweetest, cuddliest, and most loyal cat I have ever know. I believe the Seniors we adopt know we saved them and want to share the love they give us.

33. Thanks, kittyadventures – i just ordered a copy for my nephew who is in 1st grade and has a birthday soon. :)

34. I know. pickles is the best cat ever.. Well except for all of my kitties.

35. susan try changing her diet.. I went fully raw and we resolved Little ones problem. Info is here.

Apparently our little one is sensitive to grains. She has no problem at all now.

You could also try deworming her. She may just be suffering that way.

36. Janet in Cambridge says:

Here’s to senior kitties. They are the best, especially when adopted as seniors. They just know they found the right home.

37. Kittens are cute but adult cats, they have real pursonalties.

38. Merissa says:

I love her already!

39. lisaLASSIE says:

Thanks to all of you who adopt adult and senior critters.

40. The seniors are the best! Give them a chance, you won’t regret it!

41. kibblenibble says:

Yay, Olive and Sara! I adopted a cat that was being mistreated, and she turned out to be 14 years old already. I decided since she lived the first 14 years of life not-so-happily, I would spoil her. She lived to be 17, and was SO sweet. I am so glad I could do that for her.

42. I love all of you! so good to know that the older kittehs are thought of so often. what a blessing they are.

43. Agreed!

44. scoutandfreyja says:

She’s a house cat, isn’t she?

45. Thanks very much! They do eat about a quarter raw and 3/4 canned but I’ll give it a go! No sign of worms but it probably couldn’t hurt.

46. Ceejoo, you will be glad you got it for him.

47. Yeah it took Little One a long time to switch over first from dry to canned but we were still having problems with her going to the bathroom anywhere but the litter box…as soon as i ditched the can food she stopped. Bonus the litter box no longer smells. And she is a happier cat.

48. Awww, what a wonderful plug for senior kitties! We have a cat named Olive, too — she’s a fairy cat who came with the house. We had her spayed, and she’s become much tamer over the years, but she’s still essentially shy and distrustful of people, and she’s never wanted to come indoors, even just into the garage. Our other cat, Idgie, is now a real senior at 17 and a half; despite congestive heart failure and numerous other problems, she continues to enjoy life and delight us with her tortie antics. Let’s hear it for gramma cats!

49. Awww… thank heavens for lovely people like you, Possym, taking care of your “fairy cat.”

50. Aaw, she’s gorgeous!
    And I couldn’t agree more- we adopted Dozey last year from a family moving into a home that doesn’t allow pets, she was eight years old. She’s wonderful and we never once regretted not adopting a kitten. She’s still our little munchkin!

51. wannadance says:

i have a good friend (also my psych counselor) , she is not really old buit she walked right past a conference room where a seminar on alzheimer’s was being held. forgot all about it. this is triue and makes me fall out laffing every time i thjink of it.

52. AWW :D I am so happy to hear that, mesehk :D