Don’t Fly And Text At The Same Time, Or…

..you could BONK into a window. Everything is OK, though- so says Elizabeth C.!

“Little Beaky McBeakersons flew into my window and knocked herself out. There are a billion kittehs in my ‘hood so I consulted the wisdom of the Interwebs that suggested I pick her up and keep her cozy until she recovered. I’m happy to report Beaky McBeakersons is now recovered and has flown away to be with all her bird-buddies – but not without letting me skritch her teeeeeeeenny birdhead first! SQUEE! I’m from Toronto and the city has a great site about what to do when birdies hit the glass.”

8662766433_70abdb5088_b

Comments

1. ogeminijune says:

YAY!!! You are a wonderful person!

2. sabrina rose says:

Hurray hurray! So glad little birdie recovered and could fly! A very pretty little bird – does anyone know what kind? Is she a native or does she migrate?

3. I bet she was awfully embarrassed and glad her friends didn’t see her do that.

4. Coffee Cup says:

These boids, always pecking at their twitters.

5. This needs a warning not to have liquids in your mouth when reading it. ;)

6. Theresa says:

What ees she? So adorable and teeny.

7. Theresa says:

I’m espesh fascinated with her beak (hence, I understand, the appellation Beaky McBeakersons)

8. Several years ago there was a cardinal (male) that kept throwing itself at my kitchen window. It would fly into the window–bonk–fall down to the ground, fly back up to the bush it had been sitting on, and rinse, repeat. Over and over and over again. I watched this go on for like fifteen minutes, mesmerized, wondering how the bird hadn’t died or at least knocked itself out. I hung a towel over the window thinking that once the bird could no longer see into the kitchen, he would stop his suicidal behavior. But no; behind the towel I still heard a gentle, rhythmic “thud” over and over.

I don’t remember what happened at the end. I think I just got tired of watching/listening and went off somewhere.

9. lisaLASSIE says:

Thank you so much Elizabeth C. for rescuing poor little bonked Beaky!

10. The Original Jane says:

Another one here who wants to know what kind of birdie this is. Anyone?

11. Sharon Hobbs says:

Looks like a brown creeper. Can’t paste a picture into the message but google it.

12. It’s a juvenile sharp-billed glasshopper.

13. I’m going to Toronto tomorrow, if I boink into a window I hope some person as nice Elizabeth C will pick me up and keep me cozy until I recover :-)

14. Martine says:

Lovely bird you saved Elizabeth C!

15. jealoussin says:

I think he was maybe trying to get some of your foods. Birds are tricky little things!

16. Has anyone looked at the “injured bird” web link given on this page? The advice cracks me up:

“What to do if you find a bird that you suspect has hit a window. If the bird near a window, glass door or other reflective surface, then proceed to Confining the bird.

If no, for example the bird was found in the middle of a ravine, it is unlikely to have hit a window.”

I love that that last line somehow needed to be said.

17. It was probably nesting nearby. We have a robin we’ve named Ozzy the Headbanger who plagued us for a solid week, constantly throwing himself at various windows on one side of the house. My dad did a little research, and it turns out that’s fairly common behavior. Basically, the nesting bird becomes very territorial, and it mistakes its own reflection in glass for another bird. Ozzy’s quieted down a bit now, probably figuring he’s beaten the windows into submission.

18. As Sharon said, it’s a Brown Creeper.

19. Theresa says:

Bwaaaa!

20. Theresa says:
  21. opossum says:

Shouldn’t the title be “Don’t Fly and TWEET at the Same Time Or…”? :D

22. Yuri Bell says:

This happened at my dad’s house with an indigo bunting. It is the only indigo bunting I ever saw. I heard it hit and went out, because the cat was out. I did not expect the bird to be bright blue. It sat in my hand for a few minutes, then flew away. It left me a little ‘gift’ in my hand, too.
    Good to know I am not the only one concerned about the little birdies.

23. Martha in Washington says:

Several years ago, I had a robin who would fly at the window in my living room and flutter all over it, retreat to the fence and repeat. He’d do this for at least a half hour for several days in a row. Did this every Spring for a couple years. No idea what he thought he would accomplish. Finally decided that he was “fighting” his reflection for territory. Scared the bejesus outta me first time I heard him do it.

24. Martha in Washington says:

Yay Elizabeth C! And be more careful next time Birdy!

25. X-actly correct. Post that on Twitter!

26. I, too, had a robin flinging him/herself at my patio door for awhile a couple of years ago. Eventually, some blades of grass started to appear in the brace under the gutters (right over the patio door) and in due time, a nest was built and 3 baby robins were hatched!! Right over my patio door! I had to be real careful when going out to water plants. I’m not sure if the nest builder was the same robin (herself) or a different one (the baby daddy, perhaps?) flinging itself against the door.

27. :)

28. Saffron says:

Elizabeth C is awesome! I am glad McBeakerson is OK. <3

29. darcy_anike says:

yes, brown creeper! many lovely little creatures passing through Toronto this month, and very very unfortunately, too many of them boink into the tall shiny buildings. and low non-shiny buildings. glad to see this one had a thoughtful caregiver!

30. Jack and Lille's Human says:

If you are interested: American Bird Conservancy is working with Powdermill Nature Reserve in PA to test different types of glass with bird safe coatings. The idea is to have faint patterns on the glass that the birds can see, and then won’t fly into. Daily Planet on Discovery Canada did a segment on it. http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/daily-planet/december-2012/daily-planet—december-5th-2012/#clip820951 (About 6 minutes, 40 seconds in)

31. Rachael says:

Elizabeth C, you are my new hero. Thank for taking such good care of the itty bitty boid.

32. Leilani says:

GROOOOOOOOOOOOOAN!

33. Leilani says:

34. Yes, it definitely is a brown creeper. They are my fave!

35. SarahMonster711 says:

I found a wee little birdy at my old office building. He had clearly flown into the windows of the stupidly designed place. I didn’t really know what to do and I worked in a call center so I didn’t have a lot of free time… I went and got a paper towel, came back out and picked it up and hid it behind a bush. I went back out later to check on it and it was gone. I like to think it made it okay, but its beak was crooked, so I think it was pretty badly injured. This reminded me of my poor little birdy friend =(

36. Bunny Rousseau says:

I read if you can pick it up to put it in a paper bag (air holes obviously) and keep it in the dark for awhile quiet until it recovers..I put some in a box in my garage..then let them loose when they recovered

37. AWW :) I am glad to hear that the little bird was okay :)