LEMON?!

Looks like someone’s been watching that Will Sasso lemon video too many times.

8629577769_c2501c95a7_z
Via Lon G.

Comments

1. There is a black walnut inside of that husk.

2. Yeah, that’s surely true. However, since I’ve seen the Sasso video so many times, I’ve got lemons on my brain.

3. I’m pretty sure that ‘s a compressed corn munchy thingy. I got one for my friend Squirrelio Iglesias and he nommed it down to a ball.

4. Coffee Cup says:

Don’t let Maymo see this.

5. Confirmed. I have a yard full of these things from the neighbor’s tree, and this photo is reenacted before me in real life many, many times each summer and fall. The sqwerls apparently have big walnut-eating parties on our deck and leave huge messes of chewed-up walnut husks. I think it’s hilarious. :)

6. Have you ever tasted black walnuts? They are possibly one of the most delicious things on this planet. And you can turn them into the most fancy pants jams too.

7. Oh OMNOMTOM, you are so going to regret calling this thing a lemon. I’ll be your wing gal if you need one.

8. 260Oakley says:

We all need some lemon aid once in awhile.

9. No regrets; I know it’s not a lemon. I’m riffing on a bit of current Internet pop culture: comedian Will Sasso’s lemon skits on the Vine app. Click the link in the text of my post for the details.

10. You’re right, viv. They’re way better than English walnuts. I was totally unaware of fancy pants jams, however. Got to find a recipe for that!

11. skippymom says:

We had a black walnut tree in our yard when I was a kid. If you break one open and get the juice on your hands, your hands are stained black for approximately ever.

12. I have one in my backyard, and the squirrelios decided to peel a couple while sitting on my beautiful new concrete driveway last fall… ah well, this too shall pass, in approximately forever.

13. skippymom says:

Hi, ceejoe! Are you having a better day today?

14. Hi skippymom! Yes, it’s a lovely spring day here in MI!
    And I haven’t had to talk to my boss all day! :)

15. skippymom says:

Hooray! Beautiful spring day in MA as well.

16. They sell black walnut jam at my local German grocer, and for one tiny jar (tops 10 small black walnuts), he charges $15. The syrup you can get as a bonus from the jam makes a most excellent syrup for pancakes – a million times more delicious than maple syrup, in my opinion.

I don’t imagine the recipe to be any different from any other kind of jam. Just get a few walnuts, throw them in some boiling water and reduce.

17. I know that look well; sqwerl is deciding where to bury that walnut for the winter. I’m always removing forgotten nuts that have turned into seedling trees.

18. Oh, I didn’t know these were some special walnuts. These trees grow in our backyard, and squirrels really love them. I couldn’t understand at first what this stuff was because squirrels use to bury these nuts in flower pots, in flower beds, so on. Probably for later. They really make a mess when eating them up. Interesting to find out this. It’s definitely not a lemon. Great picture.

19. Oh I knew it, just thought I’d lend a–LEMON [BLARRRP]!

20. HAW!

21. Nina K Pettis says:

Do we know where the picture was taken? It looks like an osage orange to me (in Texas, where they proliferate).

22. CandiO says:

TRUE. That might explain the $15-a-jar price for the jam. If you break open those nuts (as I did ONCE out of curiosity), you spend the next several weeks scrubbing your hands with every known variety of soap, scrub, pumice, etc.