Who’d Like To Trade Places With The Hoomin?

C’mon, raise your hands, let’s see ‘em.

8656274148_9c20ddde2d_b

8656274480_870125414f_b

[I bet the bad day ended right here. -Ed]

Cuteporter Doug E. checking in from Winnipeg, Manitoba…a LONG bike ride to Perth.

Comments

1. ashagato says:

squee!

2. fleurdamour says:

“Quokka Quokka!” – Ozzie Bear

3. The Original Jane says:

Once in a lifetime indeed! Especially since they are nocturnal. How very nice for the lady, :)

4. bob drummond says:

I’d love to trade places with that young lady, even right now !!! ;-)

5. Fozzie. Oh, wait, I get it… :-)

6. I’ve been there! And I got to pat a quokka! :D

7. emmberrann says:

Took the words right out o’ my mouth!

8. I’m having a bad day I’m home sick with a bad cold, so can I have a Quokka to pet like that lady to make my bad day go away?

9. These are actually wild little animals with signs up all over the island not to pat or feed them. It’s very sad that so many people ignore those signs not just on Rottnest but throughout Australia.

10. IrinAkaee says:

“It is, however, illegal for members of the public on Rottnest Island to handle the animals in any way. An infringement notice carrying a A$300 fine can be issued by the Rottnest Island Authority for such behaviour.[4] In addition, prosecution of the offense can result in a fine of up to $2,000″ -Wikipedia.

Dear CO. I had no idea that the quokka existed until yesterday and i LOVE IT! However, I don’t think laws and hefty fines like that exist without reason. For the sake of the quokka, and all wildlife around the world, please remove the petting picture. Illegal handling of animals should never be met with “aaawww!”

11. Are your kitties keeping you warm and loved, trying to help make you feel better?

12. Sowmya Dakshinamurti says:

As the (secondary) creature in question, I assure everyone in the Cuteverse that NO “people food” was offered this li’l marsupial. I held out one of the leaves that the quokkas were already munching. I only saw the “No approaching animals” sign after this incident, and thereafter left them strictly alone (except for marveling at their amazingness.)
    I wish no harm to creatures in Rottnest or anywhere else. Cameras are our best options.
    Sowmya
    Winnipeg, MB

13. Does snoring on the couch nest to me count? :lol:

14. I hope you start feeling better really soon.

15. Amandaish says:

Is it wrong that I want one? That I’m considering a trip there to get one? And that I am slightley annoyed by the ’nuffers?

16. Bossy McWay-Getter says:

This is what I imagine the little mammals that were contemporaries of the dinosaurs looked like.

17. This is what is written on the official Rottness Island website:

It is important for visitors to refrain from feeding quokkas and other fauna on Rottnest Island. Quokkas may become very ill as a result of eating unsuitable food such as bread, chips and meat. Rottnest Island Rangers may issue infringements to people who feed quokkas.

Noting about petting, so we an all enjoy the nice picture.

18. From the Google Map driving instructions from Perth to Winnipeg:
    ‘This road has tolls’ ;-)

19. LittleStarCapella says:

I went to Rottnest Island and had to refrain from petting the quokkas because they are so dang cute, inquisitive, and accessible. It should be avoided because quokkas and other animals aren’t going to be able to determine the difference between a person offering them food and a person offering to pet them- both human behaviors encourage the same tendency for quokkas to seek out humans for food because even if the food is not offered in one instance, it may be offered in another. They already look around the bins and dumpsters on the island, which is not a healthy animal behavior. I don’t know how likely quokkas are to attack humans but there is always the possibility that they will scratch or bite; likewise, I don’t know about the transmission of human disease to quokkas but that might also be reason to avoid snuggling them, especially because Rottnest is literally the only place they live in the wild.

20. You’d think the name alone would keep visitors away.

21. bob drummond says:

thank you GIgi , that’s more assuring !!! I’ll remember that if I see one in my back yard ! ;-)

22. bob drummond says:

Righto Old Bean , righto !!! Camera at the ready !!! :-)

23. bob drummond says:

Yeah ,baby , it does !!! :-)

24. bob drummond says:

Sorry Gigi for misspelling your name -please forgive me !!! :-(

25. bob drummond says:

How about giving water to a thirsty Koala ? Was that illegal ? ( I don’t have the location for that story –sorry !)

26. LittleStarCapella says:

If you’re referring to the thirsty koala who was caught in the Black Saturday bushfires in Victoria…well I think the answer is pretty obvious. The difference between a traumatized animal and one that is perfectly capable of feeding and watering itself is pretty easy to determine. I think the take away message is that wild animals should remain just that- wild- unless they are in need.

27. bob drummond says:

you are so right -little star !!! (U remind me of an olde song back in the 1950’s !!!)

28. “This little guy is a Quokka. It is a marsupial the size of a cat. It lives on an island called Rottnest Island, which is near Perth, on the west coast of Australia. The creature petting him is named Sowmya. She was having a bad day when a Quokka came out of the bush to say hi!”

-Who knew!