Tobermory Batwinghands

And now everyone, for your Peg, the-kind-hearted-Mom-who-helps-Edward-Scissorhands, moment!

Fave, “My, those are your hands? Those are your hands! What happened to you? Where are your parents? Um… Your mother? Your father? Are you alone? Do you live up here all by yourself?” Frame:

bat
Lydia K., via YouTube. Video possibly from Bat Rescue Inc. Unconfirmed. Any info appreciated!
“Each year vaccinated wildlife rescuers hand rear baby flying foxes. At the end of the hand rearing process, (usually at about 13 weeks of age) the weaned babies are sent to baby bat crèche where they learn appropriate battie socialization skills. Tobermory had wing tip injuries sustained on rescue and shared the hospital aviary with several others, including 2 little guys who still required a morning bottle feed. As I searched in the bedding materials for the recipients, (weaned) Tobermory snuck over and made off with one of the bottles. I was impressed with his stealth and ingenuity and the fact he knew the bottle needed to be upended for the milk to flow. He afterwards got a bowl of warm milk for his trouble. Tobermorey is a grey headed flying fox and after his injuries were resolved, he was released back into the wild with his 60 crèche companions.”

Comments

1. Whiskers says:

AwwwwWWWWW! Batty!

2. The Original Jane says:

Wait, bats must be made with a special throat system to be able to drink upside down all the time! I’d get acid reflux.

3. 260Oakley says:

What an adorable little vampirate!

4. Batcher the Milk Snatcher

5. sabrina rose says:

Well, I never thought I’d coo over a bat bandido, but Tobermory was awfully cute and I really felt bad when the other little bat caused Tobes to drop his hard-won bottle!

6. I was sad to see that the little fellow dropped the bottle after all the trouble he took to steal it so I was very happy to learn he got a bowl of warm milk after all.

7. I like the end where he snaps at the other bat, like it was his fault! (Out of frustration?) Like two little kids in a playground.

8. “He afterwards got a bowl of warm milk for his trouble.”

– That’ll teach him.

9. awwww…i’m all….gluphy and squoony…and hmmmm….lost the ability to speachify…

10. I’m sure he’s wishing he had opposable thumbs now, but glad he got a little bit of milk as a treat.

11. fleurdamour says:

Dude batted it away from him.

12. Silly chiroptera!!!

13. Lucy's Mommeh says:

If you’re on BookFace, look up Campbell Newman’s Bat Shame. This video was uploaded a week or so ago, and they have other wonderful pictures & videos & facts about these fabulous not so wee beasties. You can also sign things online to help save them from people who do not understand the squee.

14. Blue Footed Booby says:

Sky puppies!

15. “Sky puppies” I love that!!!!!!!

16. pryncesshmm says:

I got heartburn just looking at it. :D

17. hahahaha…

18. Ha! That’s great!

19. OMG. I love that!

20. Smartypants says:

I was reading this great book of superstitions, and it included a rhyme that kids in the Olden Days would sing to bats, to keep them from flying into their hair:

“Airy mouse, airy mouse, fly above my head,
    And you shall have a piece of bread.
    And when I brew, and when I bake,
    You shall have a piece of my wedding cake.”

I like “Airy mouse” almost as much as “Sky puppies”!

21. Janet in NYC says:

Excellent!

22. BatBlaster says:

Well bat wings are in basically giant hands

23. :lol: Tobermorey, the grey headed flying fox, certainly was working so hard to get a drink of milk :lol: I am glad that he got some after dropping that bottle :lol:

24. BatBlaster says:

Airy mouse, sky puppies, flying foxes…
    What other names can we think of that emphasize how adorable bats are.

25. BatBlaster says:

What is the name of the one with a yellow band on its thumbclaw?