Feeling A Little Sheepish?

You FORGOT it’s National Farm Animals Day today…DIDN’T you.

(Thanks to Melissa T. for alerting us to this site!)

1. Wow, look at all the cheesy grins. 8O

2. I know, right! Cheesy, but heart-melting, especially the slightly toothy, nerdy smile on the little black one!

3. Clairedelune says:

Yes, isn’t he cute? Reminds me of the toothy character that used to grace the cover of Mad Magazine.

4. Alfred E. Neuman. What, me worry? :)

5. I think the first two have very SMUG expressions–just like cats, when they’re all, “Yeah, I know I’m adorable. You may worship at my feet now.”

6. There is hardly an animal alive who doesn’t enjoy a gentle and comforting touch, whether from their mama, another critter or some kind hooman.

Little black lambie now owns my soul.

7. Black lamberson has my soul too. The teeth!!!

8. that’s “teef” isn’t it, here at CO, Saffron??? :)

(technical scientific term …)

9. The literal way to define it is that a lamb has more than two “permanent incisors in wear” (thanks Wikipedia) or over 2 years old. So it’s an age thing really.

However they’re both darn cute, so I say it’s not how many teeth you use, it’s how you feel.

10. Isn’t it a sheep that has more than two permanent incisors in wear? Lambs don’t HAVE permanent incisors until they reach a certain age.

11. Whoops! You’re correct — teach me to type before coffee :)

12. I just thought a lamb was a baby sheep, so if it’s any more scientific than that… I got nothin.

13. Mary (the first) says:

Yeah, me too, that lamb is a subset with sheep being the whole family.. bebehs, moms, etc. With lamb being the bebeh through toddler size.

14. I love the second photo, the one of the lamb with a staw in his mouth. Makes me think of Mark Twain’s Huckleberry Finn.

15. needs a paintbrush, a bucket of bright white paint and a dirty picket fence :)

16. I *knew* these were Babydoll sheep (aka Southdown), and then the link confirmed it. They’re so adorable. And they make nice wool.

17. januaryfarmer says:

Who knew it was all about dental issues?

18. I love their colourful little collars.

It’s still at or below freezing over here, especially in Derbyshire, so all the new-born lambs are wearing sweateaws. Cue lines of cars running into the back of each other as we slow down to admire.

19. Pictures! We want pictures!!!

20. I agree with Gig.

21. Mary (the first) says:

Yeah! pictures, please, if you can get some without running into someone else with your car.

22. I think all the peeps ought to just put their cars into Parked gear and take the keys outta the ignition and GET OUT AND INTROD. themselves to the lambipoos.. Aint’ too many things happening in offices which are as worthwhile as getting to know a lambipoo
    unless you work at a charitable agency or a hospital.

23. I need to be napping in that pile of grinning, smiley lambs.

24. well every where i looked sheep is over a year old and lamb is under one year old and having raised my own lambs into sheep i agree. they are full grown at one year and usually have lambed(had a baby or two) by the time they are two years old.

25. dare I to ask if yer lambs had a long long shelf life and became and remained loved adult sheep for many many years? I sure hope so cuz these guys are so daggone cute at any age….??

26. thecrazysheeplady says:

More lamb pictures on the blog! And more to come :-). Just got home from taking pictures of more lambs at another friends. So cute.

thecrazysheeplady (I took the pictures. Had never heard of Cute Overload, but now I’m hooked :D)

27. Smartypants says:

Pic. # 2 looks like he’s winking – “How YOU doin’?”

28. are they specially bread to keep their eyes adorably closed at all times?

29. :) hope so

30. This is cute and cuddly!

31. I’m so glad National Farm Animals Day is a pro-animal initiative and not some ag industry “isn’t it great how much milk we can get from a cow with modern agricultural technologies” type thing.

32. A sheep is a grown-up, while a lamb is a kid. Not a kid, though, coz that’s a goat… uh… kid.

Gotta love your language :D