Honey Can U Put Another Bird On The Antenna?

Telly is coming in a little fuzzy, thenks awfully.

Photo by Phil C. of Burnham in Buckinghamshire UK as spotted on the Telegraph.

1. Martha in Washington says:

I never get this kind of birdage with my satellite tv! :cry:

2. I think those are waxwings.

3. Why are they called waxwings? What’s wax got to do with it?

4. Theresa says:

They have a little shiny red spot on their wings that looks like sealing wax.

5. The Original Jane says:

Ah! I never knew that was how they got their name. Thank you! I finally got to see a flock of cedar waxwings a few years ago (in a water fountain at a coffee drive through of all places). They were just as beautiful as the pictures but smaller than I thought they were.

6. dubyah1 says:

I love waxwings [named for the wee stripe of red on their wings]. We had cedars, and they would sit in our crabapple tree in midwinter, scoff down fermented fruit, and start swaying blissfully back and forth.

7. I was the shadow of the waxwing wasted,
    by the fermented crabapples I tasted.
    I was the smudge of ashen fluff, and I
    really need to lie down, get some shuteye.

8. Theresa says:

They are lovely little boids. When courting, they pass fruits and nuts to each other. Look how shweet they look!

9. Like two kids in loff drinking with straws from the same glass of pop.

10. 260Oakley says:

If you are geting crappy reception, do not stand underneath the avian antenna. The birds may be dropping the signal.

11. Theresa says:

12. If you have birds on your antenna I bet you’ll end up with a penguin on your telly!

13. DivaPie says:

abso-freakin-lutely classic!!!

14. “Why’d you say ‘Burma’?”

“I panicked.”

15. I always thought you needed cable to get tits on the TV.

(I’m sorry)

16. * snerk *

17. No apology necessary.

18. Are these lil cuties only in the UK? Or do we get them in North America? Wait a minute … (footsteps running away)

19. Theresa says:

We have Cedar Waxwings in the US, and for some reason, they have Bohemian Waxwings in the UK. They look exactly the same to me. :P

20. We have both cedar waxwings and bohemian waxwings in North America. The bohemians spend most of their time in Canada but occasionally will venture south of the border. Cornell has great info on both birds:
    Boy do I hope the links work….

21. phred's mom says:

Do they wax rhapsodic?

22. Do they do the fandango?

23. They wax Roth. And then Roth waxes them. :mrgreen:

24. brrrrumbump!

25. … (footsteps running back) … according to wikipedia, they pass fruit back and forth with their mate. And apparently there is a Detroit rock band named after them. Nothing on their hometowns.

26. Oh, wait … I’ve seen this guy in Illinois. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedar_Waxwing

27. PS The way these guys are sitting on the antenna makes me think they’re getting ready to watch something. Pass the popcorn, little guys!

28. For better reception, maybe the little one on the 6th bar needs to move a little to the right…or left…or back a smidge..and then…

29. Deborah Kogan says:

Yes, I think they are waxwings. I just love all your comments. They made my day!

30. David Chuljian says:

I raised a couple nestlings some years ago. They have the most rapid digestive tract I’ve ever seen, about 7 minutes from eating to pooping. Feed ’em blackberries until they’re pooping black, then switch to raspberries and less than 10 minutes later they’re pooping red. Unfortunately a good rehab center wasn’t available, so when they were released I doubt they survived, but they were sure fun to raise.

31. Smartypants says:

We had a flock of Cedar Waxwings outside our office a few years ago (Western Massachusetts). They were after the fruit on our crabapple trees. David is right, they are pooping machines! But beautiful. Their main coloring is very subdued, but then they have the bright markings on wings & tip of tail, plus some have neon-yellow chests (the males?).

32. blonderengel says:

Like a bird on the wire…