“CO Doesn’t Feature Enough Owls”

That’s what a reader wrote. Well, we appreciate the feedback, and consider that gross injustice FIXED right here and now.

First off, here’s a Saw-Whet Owl cooling off at the Blanford Nature Center in Grand Rapids, MI. Video sent in by Cuteporter Karen.

Then, we got a lengthy email from the owl eagle-eyed Peter G. Check the hovers for Peter’s description of this Owl Rhode Island ResQte!

(AND learn about donating to the Born To Be Wild Nature Center.)

8615008294_c7263f518a_b

8613901747_ec1485b8c9_b

8613902591_d8b398b06a_b

8613902655_eb16fe9857_b

8613902795_5712c380c5_b

8615008610_5cef7125a1_b

8613902205_f876d895f0_b

8615008958_00a8d5d6dd_b

8613902427_0d5578cd80_b

8615008666_a0a2a66ece_b

Comments

1. Owls!! Best birds EVER. The little guy looks so pleased with himself for planting in front of the fan.

2. kibblenibble says:

Breathtakingly beautiful. Also, YAY resQte!!

3. Loves me a man and a hard hat, and if it involves owl resqte, well I am just *ded*. Thunk.

4. Mariana says:

I agree — more owlitos on CO!

5. ^5 Brandon! Thanks!

6. Yay, owls! All birds are wonderful, but owl family is my favorite predatory family of birds. If you have a family of owls living nearby, they can help keep the rodent population in check, just like how songbirds & hummingbirds can help keep the insect population down.

7. Rachael says:

Thank you, Brandon – my new hero! Some owls can look intimidating but this little guy has such a vulnerability to him. What a great story!!

8. *YAY* shakes the OWLS R GR8 pompoms

9. FYI, that’s “Blandford” Nature Center (with a D in the middle). Former Blandford School alum here. :)

10. YAAAYYY for Brandon! Men of CO Calendar material!
    Firdie, can I join in on the pompoms?

11. how precious! thank you good man hoomin!

12. You Obviously Like Owls.

13. Theresa says:

Ah LOVES me some OWLS! OvO OvO OvO OvO

14. Theresa says:

PS: The second little wol is also a Northern saw-whet owl, which are brain-searingly cute.

15. There’s a special place in my heart for peeps who rescue animals in need.

16. How does this not qualify for Rescute??? By several folks?

17. Shelley says:

I saw a presentation from that very same place in Barrington RI, about 25 years ago from an older fellow who had lost 3 fingers to owls over the years. He said the bigger owls can pretty much snip off a finger in one quick snap. Which is good to know…

18. rescue gal says:

I adore owls, but I would like to see ALL kinds of birds more on CO!

19. lisaLASSIE says:

Thank you CO for more owls. And thank you dear Brandon for taking the time to save this darling oittle bird.

20. me toos! I love birds SO much!

21. YAY owlies! And YAY Brandon for saving such a sweet little saw-whet!

22. Mary (the first) says:

YAY for Brandon and the little owl!

23. fleurdamour says:

Cute Owlverload!

24. Queen of Dork says:

I love the video!

*blink, blink. I must hang on to the floor with my wings.* (turns head with eyes wide opened.) “I have to hang on here.” (eyes dilated to the max). “I have to hang on here. What the heck is going on here?” (eyes opened very much as possible).

25. sabrina rose says:

Yow! I had no idea. My manicurist would be very upset! OK, everybody, keep a pair of heavy gloves in the car in case of need.

26. no one mentions the hovertext claiming that frozen mice are their natural food? how do they find micecicles in nature? so many questions….

27. Lerv the asynchronous blinkinks and undercarriage wind flappage.

28. Thank you, sweet Brandon. :)

So worth it, huh?

29. kibblenibble says:

:lol: That’s what I heard in my head as I watched, too, Queen.

30. Brandon schiano says:

Thank you everyone for all the comments, and thank you again Peter for all the great pictures to remember him by.

31. I wondered about that . . . as my brain was seared fully and completely. As I waved away the steam from my ears, I thought, “Hmmm. That must have been a Northern saw-whet owl. A Sonoran pygmy owl would have provided a nicely caramelized brain, but not such a thorough sear.”

32. Ozbirds says:

My thoughts exactly Dash.

33. One of the shweetest ever CO postings was a bunch of baby owls sitting in a line and blinking bewilderedly. They looked like they were sending a coded message.

34. From now on I’ll translate that particular set of letters this way. Thanks. :)

35. fleurdamour says:
  36. Fird Birfle says:

abso-FRIGGIN-LOOT-LY!! :)

37. Fird Birfle says:

that sounds infinitely awesome Th :)

38. Theresa says:

Behold, blinky owl babies!

39. OMG my brain just melted ;-)

40. Theresa: thx so moische. Tis now among my saved-thinggies !!!

41. zeldapie says:

BRAVO, Brandon! Thank you for saving this little owl!