Sea Lion Pup Trubble In SoCal

Scientists are baffled as to why a lot of sea lions are stranding themselves along the beaches of Southern California, and some of them are in tough shape. Wired has a good story on how truckloads of these Prosh Dudes are being shipped up the coast to the SF Bay Area’s Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito for care.

[You can also help feed these guys. Donate to "Meals for Seals" right here.]

See a distressed marine mammal in Northern California? Call (415) 289-SEAL.

553062_10151408805253462_126187639_n

Photo by Ingrid Overgard/The Marine Mammal Center.

Comments

1. i gots no sound. how do they know they’re “stranded?” maybe their moms just said “now stay here til i get back with the groceries”. it’s pupplexing.

2. Sound working for both videos on this end!

3. twocityshibas says:

This is very sad. Thank goodness for marine rescue taking such good care of the pups. I hope the moms are ok…. *sniffle*

4. Jimbeaux says:

Donated fishies! I hope the sea lions are kept safe and comfy!

5. The pups are showing up in Huge numbers over 900 so far this year versus 88 for all of last year. They are way under weight some of them as much as fifty pounds under weight, Hypothermic, dehydrated and weak. Poor Sea Lion Pups.

6. Birdcage says:

This is one of those instances where I wonder – are conservation dollars best spent on feeding behbeh sea lion puppers, or on figuring out what’s wrong in our oceans. Sad. I want to loff all the stranded behbehs. (Didn’t know behbeh sea lions can bite as hard as pit bulls, though! Learned something new!)

7. The Marine Mammal Center does such wondeful work. I’ve visited their facilities (located just north of San Francisco, where lots of seal bebeh’s get injured or orphaned and need TLC)…if you have a few spare dollars, they are always in desperate need of funds for the important rescue/veterinary services they provide to sea otters, sea lions, and other California sea critters…

8. Donated a bucket’o fish. Get well little dudes.

9. OK, I just put my money where my mouf is…God bless the sea critters!

10. God on’ya, Wiener! The sea
    critters say “thank you!”

11. Well, as long as you don’t count the fish as sea critters. (I am glad you helped, just saying)

12. actually pit bulls actually have less jaw strength than many other types of dogs. so it is less impressive?

13. There’s definitely something going on with their native food supply at sea, then.

14. Heh, that’s a very good point actually. I’ve just coughed up the dough to murder some fish.

I guess us mammals gotta stick together…

15. Good point’ hadn’t thought of that…(-:
    Circle of life?…

16. Donated!!!!

17. win

18. Shelley says:

I bet it has something to do with Humboldt Squid — I watched a show the other night about them. There has been a gigantic rise in population over the last few years moving north from Mexco, and they are big, carnivorous, and fast.

19. Shelley says:

I think the guy said 10-times as hard of a bite… ! … respect the cute.

20. Go derp!!!

21. kodalai says:

I hope my donation goes directly to a fish smoothie, cos the idea of a fish smoothie tickles me pink.

22. Mary (the first) says:

I handed over a little bit of grub, too. Or whatever it is. (Trying *not* to picture a fish smoothie.)

23. i hope i need not caption this other than to say: bass-o-matic

24. oops. that was a commercial for something else. better here:

25. Chihgirl says:

Awww…see what good hearts the C.O. gang has…good peeps, all of ‘ya…

26. Rachael says:

Made a donation – only wish it could be more. Poor bebbeh sealios. :(

27. I first heard about this a few months ago and I send them a donation. They called me personally to thank me. I thanked them for all that they are doing down there.

28. yolanda says:

I just can imagine the “conversation.”
    “I’m sorry baby, I can’t find any food.”
    “Where’d it all go mommy?”
    “I don’t know, but the land apes don’t seem to be having any trouble, you go let them feed you up. They’ve got the fish, go get it back!”

29. mplsdeb says:

Yes…10x! Yikes. Who would think those cute little faces could chomp down like that. But, how cool there are people like Wallerstein to rescue them.

30. Tam :-) says:

People know the seal lions are stranded because they are completely emaciated and ill. Rescue organizations always stake out the area and do an assessment to prevent pups from being separated from their mothers. California Sea Lions spend several months nursing and learning to “be a sea lion” with their mothers. These little guys were obviously not getting milk or nutrients because they are so fragile. There is a decrease in the number of sardines and anchovies in southern CA, which is one of their main sources of food. FYI: The Marine Mammal Center is not only the largest marine mammal hospital in the world, they also do amazing research (while treating the animals) and contribute to our knowledge of ocean health, medicine, and ways to reduce our environmental impact on the ocean. Donating to them directly goes to fish milkshakes and to the animals. They are a non-profit. :-) I am one of 1000 volunteers that keep them running. Thanks, CO peeps!!!