I Love The Nightlife, I Got To Boogie…

Mallory J. of Buzz60 sent us this video clip of Ronan the Sea Lion who can get down with the best of them. Learn more at the UC Santa Cruz website. Post title by Alicia Bridges.

(Come to think of it, Tierney M. also sent this in. Kudos to both.)

Comments

1. Blue Footed Booby says:

Don’t have sound on my work PC. Someone mind explaining whether this seal was taught to keep the beat to see if seals can do rhythm, or if is this fella spontaneously dancing? Far as I know, only animals other than humans that do the latter are parrots.

Freaking adorable either way.

2. “Scientists at UC Santa Cruz trained this sea lion to bob her head to music…. Scientists say three-year-old Ronan is the first non-human mammal to be able to keep the beat, calling it ‘rhythmic entrainment,’ and until now, researchers thought that only parrots and other birds had this kind of ability to be able to recognize musical tempos.”

3. URL gang. Check the URL. Perhaps Ronan and Rod Stewart are going to team up for a duet…

4. Blue Footed Booby says:

Thanks!

I’m imagining walking into a nightclub and realizing I’m the only one there who isn’t a bird.

5. SlaveToCat says:

Learn something new every day. I always thought the only species that had no rhythm was the White European Male. ;P jk

6. *snerk* made me snort coffee through my nose!

7. I saw this on the news last night and I just knew it would en up on CO :lol:

8. http://www.wimp.com/dancinghorse/ Sorry, not the 1st non human mammal to keep time to music!!! Check 2:37

9. Rachael says:

Holy cow! That horse dances waaaay better than I do. :)

How on earth do you train a horse to do that? Simply amazing!!

10. To ‘Lady Marmelade’ no less.

11. does this make anyone else kinda sad? hope that cage with that tiny pool isn’t her only home! :(

12. Rachael says:

It did make me a bit sad but I really do think they are really really good to her.

13. um…can i get a job as a sealio DJ and snack feeder? i think i can do that. not sure why they had to hire Ph.D.’s. maybe we can get the whole country back to work, if we don’t run out of sealios…and fish bits…and mp3 players…

14. dianishhh says:

Yeah I found it a little depressing…. and I usually love interesting science things….

15. The sea lion was a rescue from the Marine Mammal Center who was healthy, but for some reason kept stranding herself on the highway and could not be re-released in the wild. I know the folks who work with the marine mammals at UCSC, and the animals are extremely well cared for, spoiled, and loved.

16. another CO SneakyURL©!

17. Nah… Just a training area.

18. He dances to “Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)”? Get him together with that parakeet!

19. Oceanview says:

And in addition to the fancy footwork, I was fascinated by how she kept time with her tail.

20. Most animals have multiple enclosures they get ushered to, one for sleeping that is usually pretty small so they feel secure, one for their enrichment and exercise, and sometimes one just for vet treatment. There are times where you don’t want to give them room, especially when you are trying to poke them with a needle and they don’t want that!

21. Tam :-) says:

Don’t worry, guys! I volunteer with the Marine Mammal Center in Sausalito. One of my fellow volunteers actually helped rescue and treat Ronan in 2009, and we chatted about this story today. Sea Lions are very intelligent, and extreme care needs to be taken to ensure they do not become habituated to humans. Ronan was stranded and released three times, but it was clear that she would need to be kept in captivity due to associating humans with food. There is more interesting information about Ronan here. As H said, UCSC is wonderful, and they really cherish the animals.

22. Headbanger! Give him some Slayer! ;)