I LOVE Billy Joel!

Earlier today we showed you Ronan The Sea Lion at UC Santa Cruz, who knows a beat when he sees hears one. However, Mr. McToadersons wants to show you he’s got the music in him, too.

A Roman Positive special delivery.

Comments

1. I had a cat who used to meow at the end of each line of “Don’t Ask Me Why.”

2. Teresa in NC says:

Toads like tickes?!

3. Mary (the first) says:

Who knew that toads like to be petted!?!? I could almost hear him purring over the music!

4. omg, s/he is leaning into the rubs like a mammal! so… do crocodiles like pets too? on a full tummy I mean?

5. Mamabear says:

Awww, heavenly ear scritches. Our Savannah Monitor would lean into the love, like a cat, especially if it was in the ear/cheek area.

6. fleurdamour says:

I am constantly amazed by what CO shows me of how sweet and affectionate even the unlikeliest animals are. A smiling toad. Dang.

7. Cute, but Ronan is way better! ;)

8. Melissa says:

Mr. McToadersons has a cute smile.

9. I’ve done the same with some of the local Toads, and I believe it’s presenting it’s parotid poison glands to whatever is bothering it. But it’s still cute! Just as long as you wash your hands and don’t pester the little grumpy-mcgrumpersons TOO much. Though it’s super hard to resist.

10. I hate to be That Commenter but you are right. Amphibians in general do NOT like being touched, especially by dry, salty hands like ours. That isn’t a lean-in, it’s a, “PISS OFF!” ;)

Toads are a bit more resilient than frogs, newts and the like because they spend more time on land and rely on poison glands.

But yes, as said above, Grumperson The Toad is in himself, adorable. ;)

It was asked if Crocs like pettin’s. Ironically a lot of reptiles do enjoy skritches in the right areas. Scales get itchy sometimes and they are resilient to the oils and salt on human hands. I wouldn’t advise you try to snuggle with your average wild lizard but talk to someone who has one as a long-term pet, they’ll tell you that their babies do like to be rubbed sometimes, on their own terms.

11. Rachael says:

There is cuteness in even the most unlikely of animals. If CO didn’t do anything else, that would be enough to justify it (we won’t even go into how much joy and laughter they bring to us). :)

12. Blue Footed Booby says:

Back in 4th grade when I was first learning to play the cello, squirrels would come press their face against the window when I practiced. As I got better this stopped happening. My conclusion is that squirrels have terrible taste in music.

13. I totally agree…..this darling toad and CO are what the world should really all about. Peace and love to all toads and CO!!!

14. Rachael says:

That’s a riot! I’m sure they were only trying to encourage your early efforts. :)

“Oh Fred, she’s at it again with that string thing!”

“Here, Edith, put these earplugs in and we can pretend it’s not so painful.”

15. onionpencil says:

agreed, toads don’t like to be tickled. reptiles, otoh, sometimes do like scritchies.

16. this is more of a defensive posture. That’s actually a ticked off toad… wash your finger after that, you may have some toxins on you…. cute lil guy though :)