Rrrrrrrrrrico!

Lise C. thinks her son’s hermit crab, Rico is, “pretty cute, although I’m not sure which Rules of Cuteness might apply.”

Well!     Tilts head. . .      Oh!. . .  um    . . .scratches chin.    Drumming fingers on keyboard. . . golly.

8489937801_772983e8ea_b

Comments

1. Suave! Yeah, he’s cute. Look at those beady eyes…

2. *say in Obiwan Kenobe voice* “The BEF is strong in this one!”

3. Teeny tiny ears?

4. Well, it is like: if your food is your furniture, it’s cute … If your house is your napkin ring, it’s cute!

5. He has a big happy smile!

6. LOL I was just coming to Say Beady Eye Factor.. Tres Cute!

7. phred's mom says:

It’s the “you lookin’ at me, huh?” expresh
    that does it.

8. HE matches his shell LOL! but then I find Hermit crabs very cute.

9. Mary (the first) says:

Yep, BEF for sure!! And the sweet expression!!

10. His eye stocks are cute.

11. skippymom says:

Definitely Rule 3. He looks quite intelligent.

12. skippymom says:

Is it actually possible to know the gender of a hermit crab? For us, I mean. I assume hermit crabs can tell the gender of other hermit crabs.

13. rescue gal says:

Totally cutes.

14. Bettymouse says:

Hah! Now I’m going to have that song in my head all day.
    And, yeah, he’s a cute crustacean.

15. Not merely BEADY eyes, but eyes on stalks. 8O

16. misschelley says:

isn’t there a rule about small objects looking big next to you? you are so small you make small objects look big? look at those grains of sand. you can see individual grains. and BEF is outstanding!

17. Suaavveeeeee

18. fleurdamour says:

Jaunty pose – check
    Shellio – check
    Smiling crab! – double check

19. I’ve read that you have to look for “gonopores” on the underside of the rear-most walking legs, up near the body. If you see those pores, then it’s a female. Easier said than done, I think.

20. Coffee Cup says:

Ummm… I don’t know about cute, but certainly it’s less horrifying than bugs and snakes.

21. Looks like an Ambercrombie ad?

22. My sentiments exactly… beady eye factor 8)

23. Susan Kay says:

He is baroo-ing!

24. Awwww :P

25. you know what they say. big claw, big eye stalk.

26. Shannomo says:

Ahem, (puts glasses on tip of nose) Rules 13 and 3 apply here ;)

27. Shannomo says:

#13: “Juicy” eyes and noses & #3: an Inquisitive Look. Ok, so maybe I can’t find his nose, but I’m sure it’s juicy!

28. A Crabercrombie ad?

29. murkle46 says:

Good one!

30. He’s all standing with one foot (feets?) up in a dramatic pose like Doug McClure used to do in The Virginian…

31. Three types of animals in my household: a gray kitty, 2 rats and 2 hermit crabs…and those all featured on CO in one week! How exciting! I’m excited! Those other five…actually sleeping through all the excitement…

Rico is such a cutie! I love his inquisitive look. Yay for a hermit crab on CO!

32. *snerk*

33. ♫”I don’t like spiders ‘n snakes, but if that’s what it takes to love you…..I do”♪ ♫ (Jim what’s-his-name……ah, the mind is the first thing to go)

34. Did you all notice he is doing parkcour in his terarium.

35. lisaLASSIE says:

Double hooray. Hermit crabs are extremely cute little critters with definite personalities. Thanks CO for presenting this darling

36. come on down to big rico’s home shells.

we got bivalves, we got… uh… what other kind are there?

37. 8-O

38. Aunt Bev: one version of your first statement is a Rule of Cuteness.
    I don’t know what number it is …

39. :)

40. 8-O

41. in re yer first question: YES.

42. a good description “jaunty pose” :)

43. the tubes say it was Jim Stafford and either Miss Dolly Parton or Miss Barbara Mandrell….

44. Jenny Islander says:

We have a touch tank in our town that is essentially an artificial tide pool complete with tides and water temperature synchronized with the tidal basin just down the hill. Wildlife is brought in for a short stay and taken back to where it was found. The big hermit crabs are all “Oh, no, you picked me up, I VANT to be ALOOOON” but the tiny ones, the size of peas? “What, you picked me up? Come a little closer, Imma give you SUCH a pinch!”

45. beady eyes

46. We were thinking the tiny butt rule also applies, although we’ve never seen it!

47. I secretly submitted Rrrrrrrrrrico’s photo without telling my son, so thanks for posting it CO! It was a nice surprise for him this morning! :)

48. I dunno … could “eyes on stems” be considered a rule of cuteness??

49. joools in PDX says:

Univalves?? Trivalves? Don’t tell me, I don’t want to know.

50. joools in PDX says:

Is nobody else channeling Dan Aykroyd as Elliot Ness on SNL??
    “Rico! Youngblood!”
    Or am I Just. That. Old.
    Don’t tell me, I don’t want to know.

51. You are correct. It is not too difficult provided you have a crab willing to come out of his/her shell far enough. Mine have all been exhibitionists. :-D