A Tale Of Justine And Her Frogs

Justine N., tell us all about this. “I’m sending you a picture of a reeeeeeeally small (and cute) Grenouille I found in my shoe. I know the Grenouille is french, but really? A shoe? It was in my boots for gardening.”

“I tried to put them on and the little ribbit jumped out it like a mad pop corn! I took him to put him to safety, but he jumped again, in the very same boot. I went gardening wearing only socks.”

“I found a biiiiig toad the day after i found the small (and cute) grenouille i found in my shoe, and he was damn cute too.”

1. LOL at Justine gardening in her socks because Froggie was in her boot.

Am I alone in finding toads cute?

2. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

How sweet and kind of Justine to garden in her sockies. Toads (and grenouille) are great!

3. Mamabear says:

“I went gardening wearing only socks.”

That line struck me, too. What a terrifically lovely sentiment. I often wonder how the world would be if everyone thought in these terms about all living creatures great and small. I’m not talking about anything huge like everyone taking a vow of poverty or anything like that, but just what if everyone would take a few seconds and put themselves in the other person’s/creature’s shoes…or in this case, boots?

This was a beautiful post that helped restore some of my faith in humanity. There are so many people with stories like this, we just never hear about them in the media. Thank you CO for being the place for such things! You truly are needed in a world of too much sadness, violence, ugly being broadcast.

4. Yes! Agree! I have often dreamed about a world full of people like us :)

5. The comments are a big reason I love this site- a little way to remember there is goodness out there. That other people care too. What a world it would be if everyone who knew about the snail munching on kale at the grocery store that I smuggled home so it wouldn’t be found and killed, and is now living in its own terrarium with fresh organic salad, just nodded as if that was the only and obvious choice.

And that is one big beautiful toad. Ah, kindness, what a breath of fresh air.

6. No,toads and frogs are cute.. I love the complexity of their eyes

7. I LOVE froggies and toadies!

8. I’m not enamored of toads but I do find them somewhat cute. What I find incredibly wonderful is Justine and her kindness toward even the smallest of critters. Yay!

9. Blue Footed Booby says:

When I was a kid there was a big, fat toad that would sit on the step of the back porch eating bugs buzzing around the porch light. Both the dogs would ever-so-carefully step over him.

One day, in addition to our usual toadfriend there were a zillion baby toads. The big one sat there looking toady. The little ones kept sproinging around, seemingly at random. I wish I’d thought to take a picture.

10. That story made my day! ;)

11. Thank you for the mental pictures. :)

12. For real! “Looking toady” is surprisingly descriptive, and I’m not even being sarcastic!

13. I love frogs and toads!! they’re so cute! and have the prettiest colors!

14. Mamabear says:

Awww, makes me think of the books about Frog and Toad. My very favoritist is the one about the ice cream cone. I used to read them to my boys and probably had more fun than they did, lol. It would be ME chanting, “let’s read frog and toad, let’s read frog and toad!”. To which they would always relent.

Speaking of great kids, I have to share a story with my loving, supportive friends. I awoke this morning to find a note on my computer from our 10 year old son. It said: “Have a good day and don’t be stressed.” This after I had went to bed about 8:30 last night and he had come in to check on me. He asked me why I was going to bed so early and I told him that I was just stressed about a CT scan I am supposed to have the next day (today). He put the wiener dog up on the bed because she’s the best snuggler, refluffed the the covers, patted me on the head then gave me a kiss good night.

If you have time today, will you send good thoughts, prayers, vibes, or whatever it is you do in such situations, my way? I’m sure everything will be solved, but I’m a silly worrier and just knowing that there is a community of awesome, loving folks like you out there doing that will make things better. Thanks all! :D

15. kibblenibble says:

I wish you a stress-free procedure, and an easy and speedy recovery. ((hugs))

16. First of all, you son is an amazing boy. You have obviously done something very, very right in raising him and you should be so proud. Having said that, I wish you the best of luck with your procedure today. I can tell you’re strong and you have a great support system, so I believe you’ll be just fine, sweetie.

17. Warm hugs and thoughts to you, Mamabear! And I’m very touched by a 10 year old boy that is that empathetic – You are obvioulsy a wonderful mama!

18. Will do!! Best of luck! Let us know how it goes! xo

19. good luck! 8D

20. I’m thinking of you and sending you warm, soft, happy vibes!!!

21. Take deep breaths and try not to worry too much, we at CO will be thinking of you.

22. Birdcage says:

Awwwww. You guys know how much I lurves the word “grenouille!”

23. Coffee Cup says:

Das Boot.

24. Does anyone else think Justine’s hands and nails look suspiciously clean?? Was she REALLY gardening, or just out in her garden looking for cute toads…. Hmmm…..

25. fish eye no miko says:

Actually, Etoile, I think she was getting ready to garden, but hadn’t yet.

26. kibblenibble says:

Picture #3; Frog fingaires! :-)

27. Just a small warning: Don’t touch toads or frogs with your bare hands unless your hands are washed and disinfected surgery-style. The animals take up whatever you have on your hands through their skin, be that bacteria or cosmetics.

And toads are cute. Ever shipped them across a street? The males will try to keep whatever has the right size (three adult fingers, for example) and pretend it’s a girl. It takes some pushing to get them off again. If you ever so gently stroke their lower back, they make the loveliest noise, believing you’re a competing male.

28. >>Ever shipped them across a street?

Whuh? Is that some kind of innuendo I don’t know?

29. Thanks for saying that! I remind people of that all the time. The salt on your skin can burn them. :(

30. Toads are not just cute, they are fascinating and their faces look perpetually disapproving, which works for the rabbits, colonel meow and grumpy cat!

31. “mad pop corn.” Heh.

32. Great human souls on this page :)