Bloody Hot In The Outback, Mate

I’ll be stuffed! Thanks for stoppin’- I was right stonkered. Say cobber, a coldie would work just fine, but I’ll have a go with this water bottle.

And maybe a little something to eat while we’re at it, eh?

First video spotted on Buzz. Oz translation guide here.

Comments

1. “A little something to eat”– that would be some tucker, Mate. No worries, little koala, I’ll shout you some brekkie. :D

2. hoosierina says:

aw – look! He’s sittin’ like a man while he eats his apple! [reference: a friend of mine taught her dog to sit on his haunches and called it 'sittin' like a man', which now echoes in my head whenever I see a critter like this]

3. Cheeky Bugger!

4. OMG! You mean to tell me Koalas are like squirrels in ozzie land?! They’re just walking around everywhere??!! I’m so going *packs bags*

5. skippymom says:

If I give him a drink and a snack, will he let me hug him?

6. murkle46 says:

Thats a bit of allright.

7. Munching Koala: I hate it when co-worker have to talk about my lunch and discuss what I’m eating!

8. that’s better! No one in Australia talks like that australian slang website. Strewth!

9. er, unless you go far far far out into the sticks (read: middle of nowhere), then no, silly billy.

10. Mikeyfur says:

Can’t think of a better description…I had no idea they could sit like this and hold food in one hand to eat. Yep…just like a man.

11. rescue gal says:

I am in love with the “Go Vegan” sticker on the bike, and vegan on the hand of the person………oh yea, the Koala is cute too!

12. this hoomin has a very special place in heaven waiting

13. twocityshibas says:

Indeed. I had a friend visiting from Melbourne who was fascinated by the squirrels in Central Park. I was like, but…but…but… you have KOALAS roaming around in your back yard!!

14. My cousins from Australia had the same reaction watching the squirrels in Boston Common and in our backyard. I told them I would gladly have traded for koalas.

15. 4leafclover says:

There is something about the size and shape of a koala’s nose that I just love… Plus, the stupendous ear floof!!

16. that’s durianrider!!

youtube.com/durianriders

17. zolabunny says:

I feel like there might be something wrong with this ‘Wahla’, not usual to find them on the roadside, certainly not accepting water from a human or allowing themselves to be patted. Hope he’s ok. Nice of the cyclist to give him water tho’

18. Of course it’s hard not to think of this guy:

19. stupid link. Embedding. html my a$$

20. They don’t normally drink water – they get the moisture they need from eucalyptus leaves. But in very hot, dry weather they will go looking for water, and that’s probably what happened here.

21. I’d be willing to take that chance. At the very least, you’d get to see him up close and personal with all his floofyness. What an adorable leetle bugger (the koala, not you, skippymom. Though you might be an adorable leetle bugger too. No offense intended). :) :)

22. I know you’re not supposed to interfere with nature and wild animals but who could resist helping out this little guy!

23. Sasha's Mum says:

Dang it, I went for a bike ride on the weekend and didn’t see one single koala! (*stomps feet*) Not fair!

24. here in chicago (south loop) we also have little rabbits everywhere.

25. Sharon Wilson says:

I thought koalas only ate eucalyptus leaves. They eat apples?? Is that good for them?

26. Jenny Islander says:

Koalas have extremely sharp hooked claws and they are very, very strong. Do not huggle the koala.

27. Jenny Islander says:

Apparently even zoos that would love to find a cheaper feed can only feed eucalyptus leaves. I don’t think that one apple would hurt this dude, and he probably ate it because it smelled wet and he was down on the ground looking for water anyway. Better to eat the juicy weird plant sitting upright with your back near a wall than put your head down to the water and maybe get eaten by something.

28. rokstarbear200 says:

I’m a Brit and it’s odd how many people think I am australian!

29. Since when was Norton Summit, a suburb of Adelaide, in the Outback (or “the sticks”)? There are many koalas living in suburban areas in the foothills of Adelaide. They wander up people’s driveways, into their gardens, and there was one who used to visit the post office at Blackwood (the automatic doors let him in and out). They are not usually afraid of people but will scale any tree to get away from a dog.