Hi Mr. Nudibranch!

That’s what this little goober is. A Nudibranch. (Raise your hands, how many people knew it without having to search.)

8558526168_a0af7e0bef_o
Via The Interwebbersons.

Comments

1. Yes! It’s a variety of shell-less mollusc! Here’s one that looks like it has a smiley face!

2. PS: They are, indeed, NUDE.

3. Mary (the first) says:

There are so many adorabley things out there that I don’t even know about! Thanks to CO for introducing me to them! I love this little fellow!

4. TINNEEE NUDEEE!

5. Get OUT! Lookit that smile!

6. Blue blob
    You saw me standing alone
    Without a dream in my heart
    Without a love of my own…

7. WOW! Theresa, thanks for the link. They are all so cool!

8. Mother Nature is such a badass.

9. I want to get a little glass ball necklace, fill it with water and this little guy and wear him around my neck. We would be bestest buds!

10. “Mr. Nudibranch” sounds like a bank manager in a Monty Python skit.

11. Candidate for Comment of the Year so far

12. fish eye no miko says:

[raises hand]

I’ve never seen one so small, though! Though, maybe others were as small, and I just didn’t see them with a frame of reference.

13. Second that. :)

14. The ocean is a weird, wild, delightful place!

15. *raises hand* I love nudibranches!

16. HAW

17. Yes. Yes it does.

18. joools in PDX says:

Motion carried!
    P.S. Nudibranchs! Nudibranchs! Oi! Oi! Oi!

19. Ha! I love that the Secret Password to the Mod Lounge includes the real word for “puppeh”, but “badass” won’t get you in the door. And I was sooo looking forward to sipping a seabreeze while admiring the Mod Lounge’s new salt water fish tank filled with all of the groovy Nudibranches…

20. fish eye no miko, mr. roboto . . . sorry, couldn’t resist. ;-)

These little things are gorgeous. I could see them being the inspiration for a jewelry line. How about it, craft people? You’d have a ready-made market here!

21. That is truly amazing. 8O

22. emmberrann says:

Confoimed!

23. Hey, “Nudibranchs’ won’t get you into the ML. *passes Nikki a tray of ML special gourmet mini-sliders*

24. Oh gods, if there are any FFXIII fans here, that looks creepily like an l’Cie corpse. O.O

25. I didn’t know these could live outside deep salt water. This guy is just too cute!

26. Ooh thanks T! They are so colorful! And they DO seem to slide around a bit…

27. Lynsey Adams says:

Awwww!!! I DID I DID!!! These are my favorite little surprises when I dive. Always awesome to see. :)

28. *Raises hand* The blessed Sir David Attenborough told me all about nudibranchs in Life on Earth, so he did. He neglected to mention that they were so adorable, though.

29. Okay, this is absurdly teeny and even more absurdly cute. And, yes, I not only know what a nudibranch is, I’ve seen many of them. Never to my knowledge this tiny and fine, though!

30. aren’t those poisonous?

31. Oooh… if they made Nudibranch jewelry I would be all “haftahavit” — I think they would sell really well too because they are just like those glass beads — except LIVING!!

32. Mamabear says:

Had no idea. Thought it was some loverly marzipan creation, or some bird with head tucked…but wait, that’s a finger, so no, some sort of sea creature? I just had to look it up.

Also, the word “Nudibranch” sounds like a strip club for birds!

“C’mon down to the Nudibranch. We’ve got birds, birds, birds in 5 cages! Watch our girls work the perch. Nest dances only 10 seeds!

Awww, so bad. Where’s Oakley to fix this?

33. Didn’t know what it was, glad I looked it up, and wondering how the hoomin got that wacky scar on (his/her?) digit. Anyone?

34. I never thought I’d want a slug as a pet, but there you have it.

35. Another point for you if you know how to pronounce ‘nudibranch’.. And no, it doesn’t rhyme with the thing growing out of a tree. :)

36. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

That finger is so magnified in the photo that I think what looks like a scar may just be the normal creases and wrinkles in the skin. And what a petit bijoux of a nudibranch!

37. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

It reminds me of the dancing mushrooms from “Fantasia.”

38. Thanks for the earworm, gigi………….

39. bluebird says:

Or, now we know what inspired Chihuly.

40. jujeebeads makes nudi beads. Nudibranchs have the cutest butts (which are actually their lungs)

41. I knew – they are so amazingly colorful and varied in appearance – fascinating little critters!

42. ahem, raise hand!

I worked at a touch tank in the Ocean Science Center (Logy Bay, NL). These little guys are my favourite. Only cuteness competition would have to be the moon snail, that giant blob of snail goodness.