He Must Have A Ticket To Ride

Rick Coleman was just doin’ what divers do—diving. Then he comes up from below and finds…a guest.

Submitted by Tracy G. Details from Rick: “If you spot an injured or sick marine animal in Southern California you can contact Marine Animal Rescue at (310) 455-2729 for non-emergencies, or 1-800-39-WHALE for emergencies.

Comments

1. Smallthunder says:

One word: wow.

2. Why not take it with him ashore and treat it for its injuries?

3. Most divers follow a pretty strict non-interference policy. It seems to be the best way to preserve nature, even if it’s not strictly best for the individual. I would get the animal help if it was dire, but I would definitely do as he did and encourage it to leave on its own first.

4. ashagato says:

that’s unbelievable. what a cutie!

5. SlaveToCat says:

Don’t let the cute fool you. That little pup is working for the Loan Sharks. >.>

6. What Smallthunder said.

7. “You got get off so i can pull the anchor.” *nudges with paddle*

Sea Lion pup “No! I wanna ride!”

Talk about a water taxi!

8. Hey guys you should of seen it, First I almost scared the guy out of his wet suit. Then I got him to give me a lift all the way to the beach!

9. Stressfactor says:

Not to mention the injuries did not seem to be severe. Most animals will heal from minor injuries well enough in the wild and even animal rescue groups don’t like to pull animals away from their habitat if they don’t have to — after all, that sea lion probably has some sort of community out there he belongs to.

10. Stressfactor says:

I was laughing because it reminds me of my own dog. If she gets cold in the middle of the night she jumps up in my bed — which I really don’t want her to do. So I’ll put her down off my bed and put her back into her own bed only to have her jump right back up into my bed again. Eventually, just like this diver, I give in and let her stay because obviously she’s determined.

11. murkle46 says:

Reminds of the lady who found a seal had gotten into her house and was sacked out on her couch.That was a riot.

12. I think that phone number is a digit short. I also think RAAAAH SEA LION PUPPEH!!!

13. Also, I’m pretty sure the guy said “Zoobizub!” when he was startled, which is just awesome.

14. I think the pup’s one word was, “MINE!”

15. I can’t believe how stubborn that sea lion was! So amazing!

16. Obviously she’s determined…. not to mention the fact that she knows you’re a sucker. :)

17. I would give every penny I have to come home and find a seal sacked out on my couch. I live about 20 miles from water so it’s pretty unlikely. :)

18. Bless his heart for caring enough to find an expert to talk to, in order to get advice! What a cutie-patootie little sea lion!

19. It looked sort of like a low budget version of the Life of Pi.

20. They should call him a seal kitten for all of the service he expects. Warm me up, take me to shore, paddle slower, paddle faster, etc.

21. Stressfactor says:

Well that too.

22. 4leafclover says:

Hilarious!!!

23. ummm…if the seal wanted to get out of the water so bad…I would think of getting out of the water too…

24. I want a seal pup to break into my personal space too.

25. The Original Jane says:

I’ll take real over CGI any day.

26. emmberrann says:

I don’t know if I’d reeeeelly want a seal or sea lion in my house (fishy smell gets to be tedious, after a while), my bathtub is too small, for one thing, and the caregivinjg is pretty complicated.

27. My apartment is pretty fishy from all the sardines my cats eat (not counting my seafood addiction) and I have a marsh right outside my complex. More troublesome may be how to prevent my cats from licking Mr. Sealio if he came to visit.

28. What an awesome experience to have!

29. empire23 says:

RIght? That was my first thought. Anybody consider what the seal was escaping from?

30. MIne would be?

MOM? MOM?? MOM??? – he’s too little to be out on his own.

31. Sort of a marine Prime Directive?

32. Guy: Get off!
    Pup: Make me. If you can.

33. This is very cute! Did y’all follow his youtube video to the one where he gets to see a BLUE whale? Amazing!!

34. Very witty Elaine! I agree – and what a lil cutie-pie that pup was too!

35. tommygirl says:

link us up!

36. Poor baby was scared of something. Wonder if something got his mama and nearly got him. I couldn’t tell something like that to get off.

37. Laura DragonWench says:

Yup, that was exactly my first thought as well. “Sea lion jumping out of the water? Okay, I’m pulling my fins out now and getting my behind to shore, pronto!” That said, I loved the guy’s startled reaction when he first came upon the sea lion–hilarious! Understandable, but hilarious.

38. I didn’t know Ernie did diving.

39. What a wonderful diver. You, my friend, are my hero as well as the little guy’s hero. Hat’s off to ya! :)

40. laineyg6 says:

I had to stop watching at 0:18 because I was laughing so hard. I bet that poor guy peed himself a little bit when that happened. I thought he said, “Zee zha!” but you could be right, hilz.

41. I think he said Jesus!

42. That’s called, “there’s a shark in the water”. Anybody who grew up swimming around southern California knows the sea lions do things like that when there is danger. The whites use the kelp beds along the coast as nursery grounds for their offspring, so they come into the areas where the sea lions live often.