You Can’t Make This Stuff Up!

It was a morning like any other. Janet went out to water the tomatoes and she watered the pygmy possum instead. Just an honest mistake. Hey, it could happen to anybody! She says, “It got a bit wet, but was otherwise OK!”

8529607906_7382eee89b_bJanet is a volunteer for the Australian Conservation Association. More baby pygmy possum photos here!

Comments

1. This animal cannot possibly exist. No way, now how.

2. Omg, the little ear!

3. It looks it was invented by Disney!

4. doomchild says:

*quickly runs to buy and plant a ton of toma-toes to attract baby possums*

5. elfdancer says:

There are a lot of photos on here I see on Reddit first. Dual readers, maybe?

6. Ack!

7. This little dude is waaaayyyy cuter than the ginormous fellows that sometimes scare the bejesus out of me on my back porch.

8. EEEK! Peeps, you GOTTA see the FB pics, including the TINY CURLY PREHENSILE TAILIO!

9. JenDeyan says:

Holy crap, that is one of the all-time cutest animals I’ve ever seen!!! *super ded*

10. Peanutcat says:

Don’t you just hate it when someone rains on your parade?

11. Rachael says:

He’s sleeping on the tip of someone’s finger, people!! He’s also floofy and snuggly and his earses are all folded over and stuff and his little feetses are just like big feetses only much smaller. Holy cow!!! *thud*

12. I keep trying to look at my own thumbnail to imagine how teensy that little hand would be, but it’s just too cute to comprehend!! I can’t do it!!

13. WoolyBully says:

I love possums of all sizes and think they are precious, but this little fellow is one of the cutest I’ve ever seen. Totally made my day to see his little wet sleepy face in the photos you linked.

14. Those FB photo totally finished me off, I am DED!!!

15. Opossumble thumb.

16. Ack!! I cant take eet!

17. :lol:

18. **** claps ****

Seriously one of the cutest animals I’ve ever seen. A living, breathing, Precious Moment.

19. Mee too!

20. Lisa marie says:

Too…much….can’t ….breathe….*splat*

21. Lisa marie says:

The EARS…thank you facebook

22. murkle46 says:

Thats not a real possum.Its too small to be a real possum!

23. Someone obviousle didn’t check the laundry label: “May shrink when wet.” Oops.

24. fleurdamour says:

A possthumb.

25. I <3 animals which can sit on the end of your thumb.

26. Terri D. says:

No freaking way!!!

27. He’s hibernating : )
    Info thanks to ARKive.org:
    Living at high altitude, the mountain pygmy-possum hibernates during the winter months from March / April to September / October. To survive hibernation these possums put on large amounts of fat and then roll into a ball to conserve heat, while snow cover also provides important insulation. During the winter, like all hibernators, individuals regularly arouse for short periods from torpor, and will occasionally move to more suitable hibernacula sites. The mountain pygmy-possum stores seeds in caches in captivity, but does not appear to feed during the winter hibernation period in the wild. Possums are nocturnal and during the ‘active season’, which runs from October to April, will feed primarily on the high energy Bogong moth (Agrotis infusa), which arrives in the Australian Alps in large numbers in the summer months to aestivate in the cool rock crevices of the boulderfields. As numbers of these moths decrease in the late summer and autumn, the pygmy-possum switches its diet to seeds and berries, cracking open the hard cases with its large, specialised premolar tooth

28. Oooohhhhh, I want one! SO CUTE!