OK, Does Everybody Have Their Buddy?

Washington D.C. is all wound up ’cause of some sequester stuff. Some D.C. folks took time out from that stress to help lead these Little FuzzButts from a park near the World Bank Building over to a pond at the National Mall.

Field trips can be SO stressful!

Submitted by Elizabeth C., with details from DCist and pix by Propine.

1. Yo, make way for ducklings, all you tourists and politicos!

2. Hehehe I loved that book as a kid.

3. skippymom says:

If you ever come East I’ll take you to Boston Common to see the duckling statues!

4. I lived in Boston for a few years. I absolutely love when the city puts those cute little pink bonnets on the duck statues in the springtime!

5. Aww you are so sweet I would Love that.

6. Provided no one tries to steal them again!

7. NO do not steal the statues. Some people have no soul,

8. leadership FTW!

9. skippymom says:

It’s Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, and Quack, and an unidentified friend.

10. “Hi. I’m Larry. This is my brother Darryl and my other brother Darryl.” :)

11. mauderules says:

Ok, sorry to have to do this, but insamuch as this is Washington, DC, one of them just HAS to be a PAC.

12. fleurdamour says:

Avians United

13. and another is a Wonk

14. Theresa says:

15. This happens a lot– every year at least one DC duck mom gets some escorting taking the kids from their nest to some nearby water. Some of them like to nest in the big concrete planters outside government office buildings.

16. Rhea, I was just going to say the same thing. We see stories like this quite a lot here in DC. People here do seem to have a soft spot for ducklings in need of escorts!

17. quote from the photo link: “Along the way, we spied three policemen, one woman yelled out “Hey bike cops, come and stop traffic for these ducks!” they came and held up traffic for us on Constitution Avenue”

18. YAY for that policeman!!!

19. Men of Cute Overload…. AND in uniform too. *Sigh*

20. Officer Michael?

21. murkle46 says:

Curious George has the man in the yellow hat.Maybe the more literary inclined here could do something with “The Lady in the Red Coat”?That is a really bright red coat.

22. That lovely young woman is actually a gnome in disguise. Wherever there are ducks, there are gnomes, who always wear something red. You see, mama ducks can’t count past four, so gnomes, as self appointed duckling counters, help mama keep track of her ducklets, making sure the entire family gets were it needs to be.

23. YAY the touristy & educational stuff in DC

Also? *looks around for My Buddy*

Doesn’t find one. Gets Worried.

24. Well, I was rather worried that there’s an odd number of ducklings. So maybe you could just grab onto #9’s little winglet . . . you, uh, don’t mind cold water, do you?

25. skippymom says:

Here I am, Fird! I’m your Buddy!

26. YAY!!!! I HAZ A BUDDY !!!!

and thanks Juno; that can be my Plan B :)

27. 260Oakley says:

I bet the nice people who helped them were Demoquacks.

28. Leading the Duck Questers!

29. fleurdamour says:

Or the Squee! Questers.

30. I’m sure they found a nice home among the Reedpublicans!

(I’m a Dem myself, but I thought some symmetry would be appropriate!)

31. Compassion & kindness. How we treat those who cannot hurt us reveals the true nature of our person hood. Have a happy & safe life, little ducklings! All you helpers & rescuers – good karma!

32. Aww so quakin cute!

33. thank you all hoomins for helping out! specquackular!

34. I love how people take time out of their busy days to watch and help these ducklings. Renews my faith in humanity.

35. JenDeyan says:

Little Fuzzbutt is the new word in my cute-cabulary.

36. Tht’s quite a trek for those little ones!

37. That’s such a delightful sequence.. I like Mummy at the end of her trek, in the pond facing her fluffspring on the shore, encouraging them to leap into the water. I hope the folk helping along the way enjoyed a warm & fuzzy feeling all day!

38. pupfanatic says:

Fluffspring! That def belongs in the dictionary, no?

39. You mean, FINALLY, something PRODUCKTIVE happened in DC? Now, THIS is what i’d prefer my tax dollars spent on…. Also, I thought I counted 8 duckies; I wonder, does momduck take valium? (i kheed).

40. “proDUCKtive” = :) Elle

41. Robin Kiesel says:

This quacks me up!

42. good hoomins!!

43. Little FuzzButts, indeed. <3

44. fleurdamour says:

I love how they stay roughly in formation. :)

45. 260Oakley says:

Well, you have to toe the party line if you want to get your bill through in D.C.

46. Alice Shortcake says:

You’re too damn clever for your own good, Oakley!

47. This is just wonderful, in so many ways :)

48. Coffee Cup (now with more bunnies) says:

Why do I never get ducks near my office?!

49. Great story with a happy ending. Not something you see in DC usually!

50. Coffee Cup (now with more bunnies) says:

DC loves its ducks. And squirrels. And pandas. So there are plenty of wonderful animal stories here! It’s the politicos who aren’t as charming :)

51. Nucleus says:

<3 I just love these birds. I'll go on detours from my regular way just to look at them in ponds and stuff. They're so beautiful.

52. Take us to your leader’s water.