The C.O. Guide to Norse Mythological Demigods

Nearly forgotten among the lesser Norse deities is Geirgaardsenjansvaaldul, a helpful household imp often depicted with the body of a kitten and the head of a 1967 Buick Skylark.

Never depicted without his tools, including his mighty HaammurSchlankenKlaff (Hammer of Very Urgent Banging), Geirgaardsenjansvaaldul was the God of Household Repairs, said to intercede when appliances that mysteriously stop working mysteriously start working again for no reason.

Mechcatnic
From my days in the peanut gallery. Qui M. was the sender-inner.

Comments

1. I love Mr. Fixit here. And, NOMTOM, I needed a big belly laugh this morning–thanks for obliging.

2. woofy's ma says:

Made me laugh already this morning! Love the narration and the lesson on Norse mythology. I hadn’t heard about that particular deity. ; )

3. NOMTOM, you have truly outdone yourself! *wild applause*

4. Standing O for NOMTOM!! I knew from the title I would crack up. You’re the BEST.

5. Now that’s my idea of Fix-It Felix.

6. In Latin countries the hydraulic levers to lift the cars are called “gatos hidraulicos”, “hydraulic cats” ;)

7. Could the little fella make a housecall at my place? I need some work on my vehicle and paying him in kitty treats is much cheaper than the garage mechanic. I’ll even splurge on fresh tuna if he so wishes.

8. Coffee Cup says:

Read as Jack Nicholson:

“It looks like yer catnapicator is broken. I can fix it, but it’s gonna cost ya. I take Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Catnip. Ya like pine scents? Benny over there’s sellin those hangydoodlies that make yer car smell like Montana in the Spring.”

9. By the hammer of Thor, NTMTOM, thou rockest like a Viking. :lol;

10. [standing next to Nikki and clapping loudly]
    Another one for that coffee table book, NTMTOM! When is that coming out, anyway?

11. Great trivia, Gabriel! Any idea about the origin of that term?

12. Fird Birfle says:

BWA HA HA @ Mike and at the lil’ kitty ….

“body/ kitty/ head of a ….”

Mike, anybody ever told ya
    (in the NICEST POSSIBLE WAY, mind you) that ye’re SICK?????
    Or has anybody from the South, ever said about you,
    “Bless his HEART!!!” ???????

*shifty eyes*

13. Fird Birfle says:

Who here recognizes the phrase (and its source ) “HEY GUYS!!!! Watch THIS!!!”

(hint: it’s from a show about car repairs …)

14. lisaLASSIE says:

hehehe on “Bless his HEART”. Do the Yankees here know what that really means?

15. And I thought this was a scene from the remake of Superman, entirely acted out by cats and kittens.

16. Thank goodness he’s only a demi-god. Imagine what sized heid* he’d have if he were a full-sized god. Rolls-Royce? Pope-mobile?

*Scottish pronunciation of “head”. No particular reason, I just felt like.

17. Blue Footed Booby says:

NORSE MYTHOLOGY LESSON!
    So you know Yggdrasil, right? The world tree? Well, it has a serpent, Nidhogg, coiled among its roots, and an eagle, which has no known name, nesting at the top. Messages are carried between the two Ratatoskr, which is generally translated as “drill-tooth”. Ratatoskr is understood to be a squirrel with a giant tusk like a narwhal.

A squirrel. With a narwhal tusk.

18. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

I’m suing you, NTMTOM, for making me fall off my chair while laughing my arse off and not being able to stop. It’s all your fault! OMG, OMG.

19. Those poor acorns don’t stand a chance…

20. no, haven’t a clue

21. Ohhhhhh, so that’s why the dryer started working again!

22. And I thought getting the car fixed at the dealership was expensive, this is going to be budget buster bomb of a bill. At least they don’t let any old grease monkey work on your cats ride.

23. Yes! Inquiring minds would love to know how a lift came to be called a “cat”.

24. Well, bless your heart. ;)

25. Martha in Washington says:

*setting up shrine to new household demigod Geirgaardsenjansvaaldul*
    Where’s that stupid hammer and screwdriver got to? Offerings of tuna on their way!

26. Bob & Ray!! Erm, I believe I meant Click and Clack the Tap-it Brothers……

27. erm…. 8-O

28. Catwhisperer says:

I have friends and relatives in the south, so I do. I also know the difference between a Yankee and a D*mn Yankee! :)

29. In translation?? “Bless his heart” can be used in two ways.

One: its normal and presumed face-value: “bless his heart”, meaning “bless his heart”.

However, on occasion this phrase has been used in a way that … shall one say … are not in fact complimentary to the sanity or the intelligence of the person being thus “blessed”.

30. Sound Effect: cliquez vous s’il vous plait

[audio src="http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2013-02-24_2510604853234248/sfx/cash_register2.wav" /]

WE HAZ A WINNAH !!!!

31. The name “Ratatoskr” has a distinctly Monty Python flair to it…

32. The shrine will help, in case you need a tuna-up.

33. lisaLASSIE says:

hehehe: I found that out when I moved to the south: and stayed.

34. jlamusings says:

I think most of Norse mythology has a Python-esque flair to it! :-)

35. jlamusings says:

Did Wagner write an opera about the Geirgaardsenjansvaaldul?

36. Especially if he’s pining for the fjords…

37. Martha in Washington says:

Well, if he didn’t, he should have!!

38. So BFB, did you ever try to lift Útgarða-Loki’s cat? :P

39. It was unfinished.

40. la therese NAILS IT AGAIN!!!

I attempted to do a setup like that Theresa and I SO failed!!!

also? among the HGWT stories on that page, was THIS GEM of a statement.
    SO PERFECT for us here at CO:

Aug 12, 2006 … In this week’s show, hear what happens
    after guys say, “Hey! Watch this!”
    (Advice to med students: a defibrillator is not a toy….)

41. DOGGONE IT the STOOPID CURSED
    computer gremlins GOT me!!!

I PROMISE THAT when I located that url I tested it ; it MADE A wonderful cash/register noise. not Amazon. See in the url? It even SAYS “cash register” in the code & everything and I DID TEST IT too before posting it here.

GGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
    at computer gremlins I HATE YOU GUYZ

42. white tiger says:

Jacks came to be known as jacks because the term “Jack” was used to denote “every man”, the “common man” and tools that replaced servants took that name. This one stuck. The Spanish seems similar. What I found is this: maids were sometimes called cats due to crawling on the floor to clean floors, another “every man” type of connotation, and perhaps the gatos were called such due to their replacement of servants also. This is the best guess I have – I can find nothing formal.

43. *wild dancing!*

44. That’s bizarre. Cos when you go there and look at the url above, it is NOTHING like the one you posted! Gremlins indeed!

45. See Henry Cho. Tried to embed, failed. Hope this works.http://www.comedycentral.com/video-clips/wzyy0v/stand-up-henry-cho–insults

46. 1: a wunnerful, wunnerful clip
    2: I LUV charleston & flappers
    3: didja watch the “instructions” bit???
    They ‘spect a LOT outta a flatfoot Floogie like me :(

47. I want Kenneth Branaugh to make a movie about this little guy, I

48. I have the overwhelming urge to crawl under that car and grab that sweet little kitty :D

49. Martha in Washington says:

Perhaps he also lost his hammer and screwdriver?

50. Ah, just imagine the crossover mythology if NTMTOM worked with Terry Pratchett. I picture the religious feuds between those faithful to Anoia, the goddess of things that get stuck in drawers, and those devoted to this household repair demigod.