The C.O. Guide to Norse Mythological Demigods

Nearly forgotten among the lesser Norse deities is Geirgaardsenjansvaaldul, a helpful household imp often depicted with the body of a kitten and the head of a 1967 Buick Skylark.

Never depicted without his tools, including his mighty HaammurSchlankenKlaff (Hammer of Very Urgent Banging), Geirgaardsenjansvaaldul was the God of Household Repairs, said to intercede when appliances that mysteriously stop working mysteriously start working again for no reason.

From my days in the peanut gallery. Qui M. was the sender-inner.

1. I love Mr. Fixit here. And, NOMTOM, I needed a big belly laugh this morning–thanks for obliging.

2. woofy's ma says:

Made me laugh already this morning! Love the narration and the lesson on Norse mythology. I hadn’t heard about that particular deity. ; )

3. NOMTOM, you have truly outdone yourself! *wild applause*

4. Standing O for NOMTOM!! I knew from the title I would crack up. You’re the BEST.

5. [standing next to Nikki and clapping loudly]
    Another one for that coffee table book, NTMTOM! When is that coming out, anyway?

6. Now that’s my idea of Fix-It Felix.

7. In Latin countries the hydraulic levers to lift the cars are called “gatos hidraulicos”, “hydraulic cats” ;)

8. Great trivia, Gabriel! Any idea about the origin of that term?

9. Yes! Inquiring minds would love to know how a lift came to be called a “cat”.

10. white tiger says:

Jacks came to be known as jacks because the term “Jack” was used to denote “every man”, the “common man” and tools that replaced servants took that name. This one stuck. The Spanish seems similar. What I found is this: maids were sometimes called cats due to crawling on the floor to clean floors, another “every man” type of connotation, and perhaps the gatos were called such due to their replacement of servants also. This is the best guess I have – I can find nothing formal.

11. Could the little fella make a housecall at my place? I need some work on my vehicle and paying him in kitty treats is much cheaper than the garage mechanic. I’ll even splurge on fresh tuna if he so wishes.

12. Coffee Cup says:

Read as Jack Nicholson:

“It looks like yer catnapicator is broken. I can fix it, but it’s gonna cost ya. I take Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Catnip. Ya like pine scents? Benny over there’s sellin those hangydoodlies that make yer car smell like Montana in the Spring.”

13. Fird Birfle says:

Who here recognizes the phrase (and its source ) “HEY GUYS!!!! Watch THIS!!!”

(hint: it’s from a show about car repairs …)

14. Bob & Ray!! Erm, I believe I meant Click and Clack the Tap-it Brothers……

15. Sound Effect: cliquez vous s’il vous plait

[audio src="" /]

WE HAZ A WINNAH !!!!

computer gremlins GOT me!!!

I PROMISE THAT when I located that url I tested it ; it MADE A wonderful cash/register noise. not Amazon. See in the url? It even SAYS “cash register” in the code & everything and I DID TEST IT too before posting it here.

at computer gremlins I HATE YOU GUYZ

17. That’s bizarre. Cos when you go there and look at the url above, it is NOTHING like the one you posted! Gremlins indeed!

18. la therese NAILS IT AGAIN!!!

I attempted to do a setup like that Theresa and I SO failed!!!

also? among the HGWT stories on that page, was THIS GEM of a statement.
    SO PERFECT for us here at CO:

Aug 12, 2006 … In this week’s show, hear what happens
    after guys say, “Hey! Watch this!”
    (Advice to med students: a defibrillator is not a toy….)

19. *wild dancing!*

20. 1: a wunnerful, wunnerful clip
    2: I LUV charleston & flappers
    3: didja watch the “instructions” bit???
    They ‘spect a LOT outta a flatfoot Floogie like me :(

21. By the hammer of Thor, NTMTOM, thou rockest like a Viking. :lol;

22. Fird Birfle says:

BWA HA HA @ Mike and at the lil’ kitty ….

“body/ kitty/ head of a ….”

Mike, anybody ever told ya
    (in the NICEST POSSIBLE WAY, mind you) that ye’re SICK?????
    Or has anybody from the South, ever said about you,
    “Bless his HEART!!!” ???????

*shifty eyes*

23. lisaLASSIE says:

hehehe on “Bless his HEART”. Do the Yankees here know what that really means?

24. no, haven’t a clue

25. Well, bless your heart. ;)

26. In translation?? “Bless his heart” can be used in two ways.

One: its normal and presumed face-value: “bless his heart”, meaning “bless his heart”.

However, on occasion this phrase has been used in a way that … shall one say … are not in fact complimentary to the sanity or the intelligence of the person being thus “blessed”.

27. See Henry Cho. Tried to embed, failed. Hope this works.–insults

28. Catwhisperer says:

I have friends and relatives in the south, so I do. I also know the difference between a Yankee and a D*mn Yankee! :)

29. lisaLASSIE says:

hehehe: I found that out when I moved to the south: and stayed.

30. And I thought this was a scene from the remake of Superman, entirely acted out by cats and kittens.

31. Thank goodness he’s only a demi-god. Imagine what sized heid* he’d have if he were a full-sized god. Rolls-Royce? Pope-mobile?

*Scottish pronunciation of “head”. No particular reason, I just felt like.

32. Blue Footed Booby says:

So you know Yggdrasil, right? The world tree? Well, it has a serpent, Nidhogg, coiled among its roots, and an eagle, which has no known name, nesting at the top. Messages are carried between the two Ratatoskr, which is generally translated as “drill-tooth”. Ratatoskr is understood to be a squirrel with a giant tusk like a narwhal.

A squirrel. With a narwhal tusk.

33. Those poor acorns don’t stand a chance…

34. erm…. 8-O

35. The name “Ratatoskr” has a distinctly Monty Python flair to it…

36. Especially if he’s pining for the fjords…

37. jlamusings says:

I think most of Norse mythology has a Python-esque flair to it! :-)

38. So BFB, did you ever try to lift Útgarða-Loki’s cat? :P

39. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

I’m suing you, NTMTOM, for making me fall off my chair while laughing my arse off and not being able to stop. It’s all your fault! OMG, OMG.

40. Ohhhhhh, so that’s why the dryer started working again!

41. And I thought getting the car fixed at the dealership was expensive, this is going to be budget buster bomb of a bill. At least they don’t let any old grease monkey work on your cats ride.

42. Martha in Washington says:

*setting up shrine to new household demigod Geirgaardsenjansvaaldul*
    Where’s that stupid hammer and screwdriver got to? Offerings of tuna on their way!

43. The shrine will help, in case you need a tuna-up.

44. jlamusings says:

Did Wagner write an opera about the Geirgaardsenjansvaaldul?

45. It was unfinished.

46. Martha in Washington says:

Perhaps he also lost his hammer and screwdriver?

47. Martha in Washington says:

Well, if he didn’t, he should have!!

48. I want Kenneth Branaugh to make a movie about this little guy, I

49. I have the overwhelming urge to crawl under that car and grab that sweet little kitty :D

50. Ah, just imagine the crossover mythology if NTMTOM worked with Terry Pratchett. I picture the religious feuds between those faithful to Anoia, the goddess of things that get stuck in drawers, and those devoted to this household repair demigod.