Pine Martin–Sounds Like a Name on a Soap Opera

This email just came turbo-screaming in from Johanna S. We thought THEY’RE PINE MARTENS WHY NOT PUT ‘EM UP THERE.

And so we deed.

[Are these maniacs related to Stoats? Need follow-up by EOD. -Ed]

tumblr_m1pef4AXOv1roj0ebo1_500
tumblr_mh604rWdzp1s2tql8o1_500
tumblr_mhrieoHHDK1rhe8jbo2_r1_500
Photo 1 from Best-Animals. Photo 2 from The InterTubes. Photo 3 from The Beauty of Wildlife.

Comments

1. Done! “The European pine marten (Martes martes), known most commonly as the pine marten in Anglophone Europe, and less commonly also known as pineten, baum marten, or sweet marten, is an animal native to Northern Europe belonging to the mustelid family, which also includes mink, otter, badger, wolverine and weasel. It is about the size of a domestic cat. Its body is up to 53 cm in length (21 inches), and its bushy tail can be 25 cm (10 inches). Males are slightly larger than females; on average a marten weighs around 1.5 kg (3.5 lb). Their fur is usually light to dark brown and grows longer and silkier during the winter months. They have a cream to yellow coloured “bib” marking on their throats.”

2. Hooray for the mustelinae family! ( Courtesy of wikipedia – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustelinae ) Home to the stoat, the pine martin, the honey badger and lots of other awesome animals!

(See, this is what happens when you live with a biologist)

3. emmberrann says:

I think these guys prey on porkypineses, but I’ m not sure. Anybody out there knowfershure?

4. If you look close enough, you will see the family resemblance to their water-based cousins, the otters. Scamps, one and all!

5. WOW 8-O IMPRESSIVE RESOICH SKILLZ marthava !!!

6. (I DON”T know…I hope not….*worries about poah porkypinses*)

7. Me espesh luvvs second pic :) Eeez purty-ful!!!

8. TheFormerAstronomer says:

They don’t prey on porkypineses here in Scotland, because we have no porkypineses (sad face).

I DO know, from someone who has done wildlife obs on these critters, that one of the best ways to lure pine martens so that you can take pictures of them is using a jam sandwich. Although he didn’t say whether they preferred raspberry or strawberry jam.

9. Stressfactor says:

Found not just in Europe but also in North America! So everyone living in the North American habitat area should be on the lookout for some cuties!

10. Teh second pic looks like a ‘lil fox.

11. Looks like he’s waiting for a hug to me. *movin’ in slow and smiley*

12. No porky-pines in Scotland, you say? !

*tip-toes away quietly, light bulb hanging brightly above my head.*

13. I prefer blueberry jam myself, in case anyone wants to lure me out for pictures.

In all seriousness – I think understanding if they prefer strawberry or raspberry jam, and seedless or with seeds, is the next frontier in pine martens research.

14. WEASELS! :D

Well, weasel-ish, anyway. Mustelids.

15. Weasels, minks, badgers and *drumroll* OTTÈRES.

16. How do you distinguish a weasel from a stoat? A weasel is weasily distinguished while a stoat’s stoatally different.

17. For those who have read Philip Pullman’s Golden Compass etc. series about Lyra Belacqua and her daemon (an animal companion that’s also part of your soul) Pantalaimon, this is the form Pan settled into when Lyra started to become an adult and he couldn’t keep shifting forms. I wouldn’t mind having a beautiful pine marten daemon! Though her father’s snow leopard rocks.

18. The marten’s cousin, the fisher, often eats porkypineseseses. I believe fishers are bigger than marten’s.
    Although the Mustelids look cute, they are known for having sharpish tempers at best. Like other wildlife, except sugitomo, they should be watched but otherwise left alone.

19. Okay naming them Sweet Marten is just completly Redonk and I LOF it.

20. Sits behind blind with Camera Waiting for Sugitomo to find the blueberry samich waiting on the rock!

21. They look super smart and determined. Like they could sneak into your garage in the middle of the night, hotwire your car and take a joyride to the 7-11 for Slurpees. :)

22. OK. So I’ve read all the comments here and, I must say I am stunned not to see one “Pine-Valley-Tad-Martin-All-My-Children” reference. Surely that’s what the sender-inner meant when she said the Pine Martin musta “been named after a soap star.”

23. <>

What’s not to like?

24. Britains rarest mammal? Not sure..we have a few of these cute but fast and shy little guys in here in Wales.

25. emmberrann says:

Query: Do pine martenses, like fisherses, dine on porkypines? Poah ones oah rich ones?

26. joools in PDX says:

They don’t have any porcupines across the pond, but then again, we don’t have any hedgehogs. And their badgers are way cuter than ours. An American badger never would’ve cut the mustelid in “The Wind and the Willows”.

27. I ~believe~ this is a pine marten. Regardless, it’s a redonkulously squee member of the mustelinae family:

28. After reading that book I was sooooo jealous of the animal daemons and have always wondered what mine would be! *sigh*

29. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:
  30. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Great series!

31. Sure to be a villain in a Brian Jacques novel, that’s all I know!

32. 8D Yes, they are mustelids just like stoats, weasels, otters, and ferrets. These lends further credence to the way I keep saying you guys need a mustelid tag, so weaselfreaks like me can more easily find and squeal obnoxiously at cute pictures of them.

33. this was the first thing I thought of, too, when i saw “pine marten” in the post title!!! I love those books

34. Batty Xtina says:

It’s a big ferret.

35. We’ve got Baummarder (as “tree martens”) around here. They do sneak into your garage, but not to hot-wire your car, rather to chew on the cables. To be fair, they do this to cars parked on the street as well. The cute little guys can cause costly and dangerous damage. The communal garage (for ca. 19 households) had to be marder-proofed, and marder-proofed again (the first proofing having proved to be not proofy enough). Our car was damaged three times, luckily dripping goop was spotted before driving, and it wasn’t the brake cables….this time. Secret agents in the service of public transportation authorities.

36. Wieselkind says:

Yes! Mustelid tag is muchly needed.

37. Thank you (and Wikipedia)…thank you very much.

38. And mustn’t forget the romping knee socks otherwise known as ferrets ;-) The adorabuls skunks are also in this squee-worthy family ;-)

39. I knew that.

40. Fird, mustelid tag needed. Do you have the crayons for the signs? And the pompoms?

41. I thought I heard that skunks have been put into their own category. TO WIKIPEDIA!