Dawgnet

This is the city: Los Angeles, California. There are over ten million dogs here, most of them hardworking, law-abiding citizens. But not every dog plays by the rules. Some are seduced by the twilight world of easy “kicks,” and end up knocking over trash cans at four AM, or leaving little surprises on the Griffith Park lawn. When that happens, that’s when I go to work. My name’s Friday. I carry a badge.

Via John S. Quarterman. (apologies to Jack Webb.)

Comments

1. These guys look more to me like “Car 34 Where Are You?”

2. Not a leg molestation complaint! Anything but that. *clutches pearls*

Wait! Where did these pearls come from?

3. Wot? I make you LAFF? I’m funny like a CLOWN to you??????

4. BEST picture I’ve ever SEEN of Jack Webb :)

5. Cheese it, it’s the fuzz!

6. I think you mean:

7. Hotdog Fuzz K9 unit.

8. I just finished watching an episode of dragnet not to long ago. High five NTMTOM. ;)

9. SlaveToCat says:

Brothers Bo and Luke Dawg driving around in the General Lee. Trying to stay one step ahead of Rottweiler P Coltrane and Boss Dog. YEEEEEE HAAAWWWWW!!!!

10. dum-dum-da
    dum-da-da-da-dah
    dum-dum-da
    dum-da-da-da-dah

11. Flufferbutt says:

LOVE the hovertext! Reminds me of this gem:

12. On a steak out!

13. fleurdamour says:

Do they howl at their own siren?

14. Ruff justice.

15. OK, lolz. :lol:
    Who needs sirens?

16. 8O
    Well holy crap. Mike, were you making this reference?? This is next-level stuff.

17. RoadRunner says:

WIN

18. Dr. Demento used to play this on his radio show often; that’s how it got stuck in my head.

19. So is this a “good dog / bad dog” act?

20. And it does get stuck rather firmly too. Thanks LOADS, NTMTOM!

Actually, it has a nice beat and you can march to it.

21. does anyone know the actual origin of this phrase?? my dad and I use it all the time…

p.s. I love this post on many, many levels. ntmtom rocks my socks, man.

22. did you know there are actually people who pronounce it “Sip-uhl-VEE-dah”? Real, live people. I’ve heard it.

23. Living La Vida Supple?
    (and then there’s the classic pronunciation: Los AHN-gell-lees.)

24. TAR PITS! TAR PITS!

25. :D

26. I did until I heard it correctly (Sep ul VEE da, that is).

Just about every area has place names that don’t look right to outsiders. In Virginia, Staunton is pronounced Stanton (NOT Stawnton) and Buena Vista is pronounced Byewna Vista.

27. *sheepish grin* I used to pronounce it that way until all my LA buddies laffed…and laffed, and then corrected me.

28. Of COURSE it had to be Doctor D.

29. So….do they humans for their K-9 unit?

30. jes’ like Appalachian – Appa-lay-chi-an v. Appul-atch-un (the latter being the correct one :) )

31. “What do you want from me?”
    “Just the snacks, ma’am.”

32. HUGE APPRECIATIVE APPLAUSE & ROARS of approval from the bleachers–

MOST excellently done, Jimbeaux!!!

33. Read NTMTOM’s intro, and Monday I’m in love (once again).

However this affection will be reduced in proportion to the time it takes for that Pico & Sepulveda earworm to vacate my head.

34. Bwahahahaha! When my family moved to Ca. from N.J. my grandfather pronounced La Cienega (as in the blvd.) “La Shen-ga..”

35. Hurrah for Fred Gwynne. Apparently, he was a very good Shakespearean actor as well. I just looked at one of the other vids and Al lewis, who played Grandpa, was in Car 54 as well.

Geek moment over.

NOMTOM, you slay me as ever.

36. Gaaahh!! I lost half of the post. I was referring to The Musters, of course, Fred Gwynne was Herman.

37. FTW, fleurdamour.

38. And the winner is…. Jimbeaux!!!! :)

39. “Let’s roll, Jack”

40. I would watch a dog cop show if NOMTOM was the head writer.

(They could arrest cat burglars.)

41. fleurdamour says:

Houston Street in NYC being a perfect example – HOWston, not HUEston like the Texas city. They practically cuss at you if you get it wrong.

42. We have a town here in MI named Charlotte, but pronounced shar-LOT. Who knows…

43. !

44. LOL when we moved to Colorado I got teased for Calling La Junta (Pronounced La Hunta) I would always say it with the J so La Juun Taaa.

And then there is Pajaro here some folks cal it Pa Haa Row Some call it Paharo

45. I Love this post it satisfies on so many levels.

46. fleurdamour says:

The Lady of Shar-LOT

47. Fact: Large breed dogs were born to sit in front seats of cars. I luffs me seein a dawg sittin in the front seat next to his (normally dad) human. I can’t stop smiling for hours you know.

48. phred's mom says:

In Philly, there’s the never-popular
    Schuylkill Expressway. Pronounced
    SKOOkle by locals, who gave up long
    ago trying to pronounce the spelling.

49. @phred’s mom: yeah, the local nickname for that road is Surekill.

50. The Pennsylvania Dutch really screwed us in Philly. My favorite is having outsiders pronounce “Bala Cynwyd”! It is NOT Bal-ah SIN-Wide. Bal-ah Kin-wood. too funny!

51. My friend’s dog (some kind of largish mutt) sits next to him on the front seat and leans her head on his shoulder while he drives. So darn cute.

52. warrior rabbit says:

Sheesh. Half the country gets Oregon and Nevada wrong.

53. Is that a Canaan dog in the passenger seat? This is the EXACT replica of Naomi, my purebred Canaan.

54. ARM PITS! ARM PITS! (don’t know what it means, but it has a nice ring :)

55. They COULD arrest them–if they could CATCH them. Nothing does ninja like a cat burglar.

56. Mods?? Hand me some of them chewy macaroons, the ones with extra coconut. Ah need to sweeten up.

57. Over here in the tropics (a.k.a. the 50th State), it’s NOT “Like-Like”, it’s “Lee-kay-Lee-kay”. (Conversely, it’s not “Peep-eh-lee-nay” but actually “Pipeline”.)

Note: Likelike is a highway/tunnel going from Honolulu on the Leeward-side to Kaneohe (Con-nay-oh-hay) on the Windward-side of Oahu; Pipeline is a surfing spot, also on Oahu.

58. As a devoted cat-slave, I resent that slur on my feline overlords……

59. :lol:

60. Standin’ O! :lol: :lol: :lol:

61. I’ve lived in So Cal all my life, a good portion of it about five blocks from Pico and Sepulveda (yes, it really is an intersection…), and I once worked for the museum at the La Brea Tar Pits, picking fossil microfauna out of blocks of ooze.

So of course I had to come to CO to hear/see this!

62. Canaan canine!

63. OOO…You mean business :-)