Welcome Chinese New Year!

Today marks the start of Chinese New Year! This happens to be the Year Of The Snake.

So let’s have a little snake-a-bration shall we?

This snake is OBVIOUSLY trying to hug the monitor—But he has no arms…

Huggles
So he’s all: “Ehn!” [head curls around monitor in lieu of arms]

Snake_oxcu
Meanwhile, this little McSnakersons is all: “Now I’ve never been one to fear much of anything, but if I’m a 500-pound, 33-foot anaconda, then HOW FREAKING BIG IS THIS LADY????”

Then there’s this guy: “Hmmmmm,” [slither slither] “I enjoy surfing Cute Overload, [Hits Enter key with head] but sometimes it’s not enough! I want more. MORE!” [slither slither]

DSC02760
“What’s this I see!? A daily, paper version of the site? That corresponds with days of the week!?

DSC02761
“Brilliant! If I flash my beady eyes it may distract folks long enough for me to steeeeeeeal eeet” [Tears off page with mouf, proceeds to eat whole]

DSC02762
If Mr. McSnakersons isn’t your deal- then HOW ABOUT SOME CHINESE CRESTED PUPPEHS!

GetInline
Nice Hawaiian shirt mousepad and anerable snake-a-tude, Lesley C. Since this behbeh snake doesn’t have fur, please expect major Nuff action on this one… Does your home come with a bean stalk, Alana M.? Photo by Trish H. Grey-banded baby snakersons brought to you by Lesley C. Get your free Cute Overload 2011 calendar with every accepted photo. Submeet your photo tuhday! Chinese Crested Pups from The InterTubes.

Comments

1. Free 2011 calendar???

2. Alice Shortcake says:

You Don’t Need Fur to be Cute.

Sounds as if it should be a Disney song, isn’t.

3. I’m going to espouse a Controversial Opinion.
    I don’t believe that the snake in Pict # 3 IS, in fact, a 500-pound, 33-foot anaconda.

So THERE.
    Adopts Pouty Expreshe and Crosses Arms Across Chest.

4. maybe Meg haz extras from that year, sittin’ around …. ??

5. Don’t forget to stamp your tiny feet.

6. I see snakes prefer Macs.

7. musicfoodbeerbikes says:

That whole snake/apple thing goes WAY back…………….

8. Queen of Dork says:

Hahahaha! :)

9. Queen of Dork says:

I’ll bet the snake would stamp his feets if he had any. Instead, he slithers in a particuarly stompy sort of way.

10. Sooooooo cute!!!!

Beatiful snakees!!!!

11. The MacBook of Genesis

12. Queen of Dork says:

As well as The Book of Jobs

13. Victoria, Mom to 3 Rats says:

D’awww. I love the McSnakersons. I think they’re much cuter than the (only partially furred) crested doggehs. Couldn’t ever have one though. I’d never be able to feed it.

14. Awww, I lof snakes. In society, they are often denigrated, demonized, and discriminated against, but not at CO, yay!

Bebe snake in pics 3-4 makes me sadface to see, though, for something that happened Friday and I can’t tell you cause CO is a happy place, but now someone’s cuttin’ onions… I gotta go…

15. Not fond of snakes IRL, but I do think the idea of a snake trying to hug a monitor is adorable.

16. Once A Fish says:

I have always wanted a pet snakey, and through a serious of fortunate circumstances I was able to get one for Christmas– and it was only afterwards that I learned that 2013 was the year of the snake! :) Sooooooooooooo glad to see them on CO… and yes, the teeny tiny stripeys are extremely intimidating! :)

17. McSnakersons are beautiful. Anyone watching Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan? Pretty good! Now every time he show a snake I’m going to think “ehn!” and “plink” in my mind grapes. :)

..and if you meet a sssnakerson, sing this: :)

18. Nertz. I posted a vid from The Little Prince of Bob Fosse singing Snake in the Grass and vid failed and I got put in mod lounge. *sad*

19. Very cute and snaky. However, it’s Lunar New Year. Saying “Chinese New Year” is like saying “American Christmas.”

20. *Thanks Theresa — I briefly forgot the Proper Procedure*

HI Q :)

*stamps tiny feets in frustration*

21. SlaveToCat says:

Sorry but snakes make me SCREAM like a little school girl being chased by a boy with cooties.

22. Snakes = not qte

23. I agree with thelittlemyrmidon, snakes are not qte in a furry, fuzzy, snorglable sort of way. But they are pretty awesome: They squirm around like pups who still have more paws than brain cells, they hiss like a kitteh, they’re colorful like a pony’s sweater and they go over the scale in the beady eye factor. So yay for McSnakersons all over the world!

24. I hope the onions go away soon :-(

25. That’s one of my favorite musical number.

26. Ha! Well done ALL of you! Standing ovation. :D

27. I love snakes, I think they are beautiful. To my mother horror I once brought home little garter snake around my neck like a necklace. She almost fainted from the fear.

28. I’m not a snake person but these guys are cute. I do have a 6″ black garden snake living in the yard I named Slinky.

29. No, I wouldn’t call snakes cute but they can be quite beautiful and everything in nature serves a purpose, right? (Except mosquitoes…their only purpose is to drive me crazy.) The puppehs, on the other hand, their purpose is simply to be cute!

30. I especially love the Ringneck! We used to collect them when we were kids and wrap five or six around our fingers – so fun! Then let them go, of course. Their bellies are brightly colored and oh-so-pretty.

31. mosquitoes are fish and bird food. So they do serve a purpose in nature. Though i hate them for their bite.

32. you guys just made my sunday morning a million times better!

33. Sigh one comment and already in the moderations machine. Love the comments on this post. In case i am stuch here all day

34. Queen of Dork says:

Yeah. There are so many things on the planet that I don’t like but they’re necessary. I think the thing I dislike the most is the fly. I don’t think anybody could ever come up with a “cute” picture of a fly and also, they are extremely annoying. But they’re necessary. In fact, all insects are far more necessary than we humans are. Without them, we would all die. Have any of you ever read the book Dust by Charles Pellegrino? Also, I don’t like palm trees as they seem pretty useless and just mean that where ever they are, the weather is too hot.

35. Martha in Washington says:

Or a SNAKE?! :twisted:

36. OK, you’ve convinced me…even mosquitoes have a purpose! (But is it still OK if a slap them? :))

37. Someone in my college dorm (long ago) had a some kind of little pink snake. I don’t know what it was but it was cute…and perfect for Valentine’s day! On a side note, the picture on the monitor in the first picture, of the kitteh looking into the pot, is my avatar on another site somewhere on the intertubes.

On the other side note, I was watching a rerun of Animal Planet’s Too Cute Puppies last night, with a litter of Chinese Cresteds; there are two types, one with fur and the other (better-known type) without, and mom was the former and dad was the latter, and the boy pup looked like mom and the girl pup looked like dad. Something about the way this little furless baby trotted around, and the hair on her ankles, tail and head, made her look like the cutest miniature horse on the planet and while I am not partial to hairless mammals, I kinda wanted her anyway.

38. Queen of Dork says:

For sure! :)

39. that’s my safin (russian blue kitten) in the first picture in the monitor! he’s now 6 yrs old.

40. Queen of Dork says:

Here’s an interesting tidbit…for every one human, there are a billion bugs! (or some such crazy number like that).

41. R. Blue cats = SOOOO pretty :)

42. Thank you CO for the McSnakerson photos. I love snakes. And that teeny tiny guy who is sure he is an enormous snake: reminds me of those leetle tiny doggies who think they are mastiffs. Leetle Critter Complex, well known in Pet Psychology.

43. If this is the year of the snake, then when is it the year of the badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger?

44. This post reminds me of my red boa, Cleopatra, who liked to play “necklace”. She also liked to curl up in the palm of my hand and keep warm. On warm, sunny days, I took her outside so she could soak up rays on the fig tree in the back yard. One day, though, I realized that she was not the ideal pet, as she would grow to be 9 feet long and would probably start eyeing me as a prospective dinner. So, sadly, I gave her back to the pet store. My cats almost jumped for joy after she was gone. They hated her–hissed and spat at her whenever she got out of her cage, even though she was only about a foot long at that time. They absolutely did not want to be part of the circle of life, and who could blame them? I didn’t want to be part of the circle of life either, that’s why I gave her back to the pet store. Imho, some pets are just too risky for home use.

45. Surely you’re not badgering us?

46. I too love McSnakerson. They always have these gently smiling, Mona Lisa-esque smiles on their faces.

47. And since I have a phobia (Entomophobia) I’m afraid of each and everyone of them. Welcome to my life!

48. Thank you Gigi, you are sweet. And they did. :D

49. Oh sure, now I’ve got THAT earworm in my head! NTMTOM!! (said in a Kirk saying Kahn, voice)

50. Funny thing… The pastor at my church preached on the snake/Eve thing this morning, which is not the scriptures the lectionary called for. (Actually one of her better sermons – singing here gave ‘preaching to the choir’ an entirely new meaning for me… “Everyone’s a critic.” But she had a rather different take on the subject of that snake.)

She claimed not to have known until this week that it was Chinese New Year for the year of the Snake…

51. Coffee Cup (now with more bunnies) says:

Eh, even Chinese people say Chinese New Year. No harm.

52. Queen of Dork says:

Gosh, you’re right! I never noticed the Mona Lisa expression on snake’s faces. They DO gently smile, kind of like how tortoises look constantly and magnificently grumpy.

53. warrior rabbit says:

They feel fursaken.

54. Queen of Dork says:

He-he!!

55. Nahhhhhhh Snakes are just NOT CUTE

56. *tee hee*

“magnificently grumpy* !!!! yay QoD

57. No, we’re just Pottering around . . . ;-)

58. Queen of Dork says:

Off subject but: Am I the only one wondering about how Meg, husband and twins are doing?? A swoosh of best wishes headed your way, Meg, husband and twins! :) (I hope you could feel that swoosh. It should feel like a warm, soft breeze of love.)

59. Ummm…Korean Lunar New Year…Vietnamese Lunar New Year…Thai Lunar New Year…Cambodian Lunar New Year…shall I go on?

60. Sorry, moderator…wrong e-mail address on previous comment. Got away before I could fix it.

61. How does that snake not get paper cuts from lounging around that calendar?

62. Yup, The Chinese calls it Chinese New Year too!

63. Joining Qof D in sending a swoosh of warm wishes to meg sparky the twins and the pupster too.

64. Perhaps it depends on where you live. In San Francisco, where about thirty-five percent of our population is Asian, Lunar New Year is a school holiday, and is celebrated by Asian families of all kinds…Chinese, Japanese, Cambodian, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, etc. To call it “Chinese New Year” here would be seen as a bit culturally inept.

65. All is well. :)

66. Slinky is the best snake name evah! :D

67. i, on the other hand (otoh), love palm trees, for not least because they give dates and coconuts… i happen to think that the wild groves of Washingtonia filifera here in California are particularly fetching… but then i like snakes and puppehs, too…

68. Pirate Queen says:

Gaaaaaaaaaahhhh. I don’t come to CO to see snakes! Not cute!

69. b

70. Agree. I think MY birth year is year of the Snake and um…although he’s not cute, he’s cool and intimidating.

71. Must agree Pirate Q, must agree. It’s obviously very very infrequent though so not to worry. Erase your mind of all things slither and concentrate on round puppeh tums, floppy triangle ears, and pink toebeans.

Better?

72. Somebody described palm trees as wearing “their dusty pantaloons slipped around their ankles”

*enchanted*

73. Snakes have the cutest little faces that are always smiley! Snakes and sharks = scary in real life, but oh such happy faces that when they’re not threatening you, it’s adorable!!

74. The teeny little guy in the third/fourth photo is a Northern Ringneck Snake, and they are itty-bitty. They’re common where I live (in VA), and I once had to rescue one from a spiderweb. It was too small to break out by itself.

75. I hope the onions are gone.
    *sends hugs to Mamabear*

76. Gah!
    As long as all the stinkbugs stay out of my house. Even my kittehs won’t go near them and they usually nom on any bugsters they catch.

77. meltinsmush says:

At first I was like, No, not EHN! EEEEK!!

But then the photos were so cute – big roundy eyes – curious look. I never thought a snake looked cute until today.

Thank you, CO, for opening my world!

78. Yes, Cate. Perhaps it depends on where you live.