An Owl Burrito To Go, Please

These little fellows are called Saw-Whet Owls, at the University of Minnesota Raptor Center’s clinic. The clinic nurses ‘em back to health when they have medical needs.

DSC04159-600x712

DSC04161v-+20M-768x1024
Rachel G. spotted this on The Animal Blog.

Comments

1. ABSO INSANELY WUNDERFULL.

ALSO? the URL is VERREH TRUTHY.

2. 4leafclover says:

I just screamed really loud!! It was completely involuntary!! That first pic is crazy cute–the owl burrito, the daintily extended claws, the “squeak” blankie…

3. doomchild says:

Oooo, owl-flavored ice cream, my favorite!

4. doomchild says:

This site does that to people. It’s okay ^_^

5. SlaveToCat says:

Cute to the Max
    I think I will pass on the toe bean noming, looks a bit dangerous if hootie gets scared.

6. Raptor Centre Clinic peeps, I loves you! The thought of all those leetle hootie owls flying free ’cause of you just about bursts my heart. May you and the owlies be mightily blessed….mices for them, warm fuzzies for you.

7. Saw Whet Owls are awesome!

8. Stressfactor says:

Adorabul owl! I love though how the expression on it’s face is still kind of ‘who are you and what are you doing?!’ But I love the owlsies. My suburban apartment complex seems to have TWO resident owls — one a Great Horned Owl and the other a Barred Owl. One evening not too long ago I was walking my dog when the Barred Owl (I think) swept across the apartment complex road only about six feet in front of me and only about four and a half feet off the ground. He swooped across and into the treeline on the other side of the street. I cried out loud “Oh, it’s the owl!” It was amazing! Blessings to all those who take care of our nature friends.

9. Oh come ON, CO!!! I was going to run a bunch of errands today and now I cannot because the second pic turned me into happy blob. :D

Actually, a pretty d*rn good way to start a cold weekend!

10. Don’t worry… I can testify that you weren’t the only one.

11. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Saw-whets are absolutely tiny, they could stand in the palm of your hand (because they don’t like to sit in people’s palms…) and they are all eyes.

12. Minnesota! My home state! ^_^ And such a tiny little owl!

13. I would love an owl burrito!

14. WOO HOO! THAT’S MY TOWN!! YEAH! … No idea why I’m so excited, I just am. :)

15. warrior rabbit says:

That looks delicious! Someone is definitely thinking outside the bun.

In the second pic, he’s, like, “Uh, you’re not really going to eat me… are you?”

16. Dat’s not a very happy hOwl.

17. Daww, 92 grams. This little critter is fully grown!

18. onionpencil says:

poor little guy, i bet he is not amused.

19. Such poyfect plumage around the face in that second pic!

20. lisaLASSIE says:

You are very lucky to have them living nearby and to have one f
    ly so close to you.

21. lisaLASSIE says:

They are fierce little beings. In the second picture he is saying: “I shall avenge this slight to my dignity!!! Beward, large creetures, beware!!”

22. That is so adorable!!

23. Alice Shortcake says:

He’s almost rabbit-like in his disapproval!

24. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

I often hear an owl hoo-hooing when I let the dogs out in the backyard at night to take care of their toilets.

25. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Somebody made that little wrap for him. Someone picked out that “squeak!” fabric and sewed it up. I loffs this.

26. He doesn’t look happy, but he sure is cute!!

27. skippymom says:

But isn’t wrapping them in a blankie with squeaking mousies on it kind of like teasing?

28. Owls really are the cutest birds EVER! I don’t know if I squeed more for his crazy face or for his little wrap that reads “squeak”.

29. Animals on the Animal Blog? The innovation!

30. That’s exactly what I was thinking!

31. Particularly since their arms are restrained!

32. what i was thinking: no dignity whatsoever! the little squeak wrap shredded this creatures dignity! Why is that so squee-inducing to me?

33. I KNOW! it blows my mind, the cuteness…

34. Mary (the first) says:

Yes! Like my pj’s with ice cream cones on them, that I’m not supposed to have because ice cream is, allegedly, “fattening”. Unfair to tease with tempting foods!

35. Say-What Owls?

36. Oh my gosh, Mary! What cruel person forces you to wear these jammies?

37. #%^$$*&%$$**(*&&%, I used a norty word.

38. Let me try it again: Mary, what mean person makes you wear such jammies?

39. I suspect this is the work of ancient Egyptians: “ok, we put the head of a raptor in a dude’s body to make him a god, then we put the head of that dude on a cat’s body to make a ‘sphinx’, what do we do with these leftover parts? I know – let’s put the head of the cat on the raptor to make him an ‘owl'”.

40. emmberrann says:

Whoo’s qte?
    Them owlies, that’s whoo!

41. The Original Jane says:

I was thinking they are adding insult to injury for the little owl. Kind of a “ha ha, you can’t get any mousies while your wrapped as a burrito!”

42. Zactly.

43. It’s because the pointy-ends of a normal cat, just aren’t razor pointy enough, so Egyptians said let’s try again…

44. Methinks Fird was referring to the URL of the page we’re on now.

45. Stressfactor says:

Yeah, I’ve never really seen the Horned Owl clearly — mostly just heard him late at night when I was in bed. I kept hearing the Barred Owl in the evening and early morning while walking my dog but I could never see him until just recently. Barred Owls have a unique and distinctive call and when I first heard him I had no idea what it was. I had to do some research on YouTube until I found an owl with a call that matched it. The funny thing is that this is such a suburban area I didn’t expect them to be around here but it is a well-treed area and I suppose the varmint hunting is good…. I just like hearing their calls. There’s something about them that makes me smile.

46. princess guinea and ariel says:

that is one scared burrito!!

47. O SRLY?

48. Saw-what Owl??

Also, SQUEEEE!

49. Saw-whet owls are fearsomely cute. They are tiny, have huge eyes, natch, and that certain air of pissed- offness that is so lethally adorable in tiny creatures. This one looks totally like “I say, sir, how dare you sir? Unhand me forthwith.”

50. Do ya think he gets to wear that blanky all the time? Also I’m thinking that blanky’s been made especially for owls. Who does that?

51. SO POIFECT both the dialogue and the acksent, mem sahib!!!

52. AWESOMENESS loribelle :)

53. yyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssss.

GOSH the ONE time that I don’t over- ‘splain !!! See what happens when I try to be a bit understated, ‘roun here? thanks Starfish!!!

54. Lol! Henceforth I shall use”forthwith” at every opportunity.

55. RoadRunner says:

WIN

56. “Wrapping wiggly patients, such as this saw-whet owl, in a specially designed wrap makes it easier to weigh them.” That’s from the website. Their diet is primarily mice. Oh my god its too cute.

57. Okay i just realized the blankie has mice on it, i was so mesmerized by the owl eyes.. LOL that little detail just totally made this picture for me.

58. Kootiepatra says:

Ah, the ever-elusive who-rrito.