Curious! Smiling! Mountain Goats!

Don’t get too many Mountain Goat submissions- but when we do, they’re fantastic! Get an eyeful of these guys! (Girls? Who knows?)

curious-mountain-goats-up-closemountain-goat-face-offmountain-goat-kid-on-ridgemountain-goats-close-staremountain-goat-family-continues-down-mountain
Photos by Nicko Margolies. More on this story over at Nicko’s Big Picture. Submitted by Sara B.

Comments

1. Instead of Billy Goats Gruff, these are Billy Goats Smiling. I bet they wouldn’t butt a troll.

2. SlaveToCat says:

High on a hill
    Was a lonely goatherd
    Ho-de-lay-ho-de-lay
    Ho-de-lay-hi-hoo
    Favorite song from the Sound of Music. And now I can’t get it out of my head and It’s bed time. Must find a cat to distract me and purr me to sleep.

3. I LOVE that musical and song!
    These goats are fabulous! Of course a glass of red wine usually makes everything more fabulous (it’s for my cholesterol don’t cha know. My Dr unofficially said it would help) :-)
    I have a feeling these goats will make me just as happy in the morning.
    Wanders off humming, “one little girl in a pale pink coat…”

4. except I sing,
    “lady-o-de-lady-o-de-lay-he-hoo” :-)

5. The Original Jane says:

What a cool thing I bet those hikers weren’t expecting. So friendly! (and clean!)

6. Who knew mountain goats are so cute and smiley? Almost tempts me enough to go hiking.

7. Their hair looks so perfectly groomed!! Maybe there are secret salons at the tops of those mountains.

8. Careful with those mountain goats—they can be aggressive. And they have good lawyers… http://seattletimes.com/html/outdoors/2018971279_webkillergoat22.html

9. villyjean says:

They look so curious and squee! I wonder, do they have to sing everything they say?

10. Oh what a lovely reference S to C!! My favorite as well.

11. The pants!

12. It looks like a couple marshmallows exploded.

13. Mary (the first) says:

Me too… “Oh, de laaaaayyy ddeeeee, oh de laaayyy ddeee hheeee heee!”

14. This is what I was thinking! I’m from the area and I remember this news story. If I was hiking and encountered mountain goats, even as cute as these are, I would run straight up a tree until they went away!

15. Martha in Washington says:

I was starting to worry the closer the goats got to the photographer! But hey! The goats were there first so I say “Go to it Goats!”

16. Martha in Washington says:

We definitely need MORE GOATS!

17. They look as though they’ve been drawn by Tove Jansson.

18. My thoughts exactly. Their heads are shaped just like Hemulen’s head. :D

19. Those are not goats, can´t anybody see that? They´re polar bears in fancy dress!

20. Kin Ah Git uh AY-MEN????

Signed,
    AMEN

21. also they did a nice job of posing under fluffy white clouds which enhances the whole Poofy white theme …

22. KittyMarthaPoo says:

Indeed! They don’t look gruff at all! All smiling & pleasant.

23. I broke free on a Saturday morning, I put the pedal to the flo-
    Oh wait, wrong Mountain Goats. My bad.

24. Yes, it looks like they’re wearing knickers that stop just below the knees! :)

25. Baroness Von Shraeder disapproves.

26. Hear, hear! Lovely, clean, happy goats!

27. looks like that one dude is wearing fluffy gaucho pantalones :)

28. Exactly. So clean and white and fluffy!

29. Their smiles are so sweet and inviting.

BOOP! And BOOP! :)

30. SlaveToCat says:

Who called the Ghost Busters?

31. Little old lady who?

32. Catwhisperer says:

In my family we always hiss when she comes on screen.

33. The TOCKS, people, the TOCKS!!!

34. GOAT ‘TOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

35. Amen!

36. Encore presentayshe for tocktober!

37. (stifles one-liner “what about the TICKS??”)

38. y’all are LOYAL as HECK !!!

39. YAY

40. I love that so many cute peeps love The Sound of Music as much as me! Not only have the smiley goats made me happy on their own, but they’ve warmed my heart as well for the reference connection they have made! :-D

41. If I were to hazard a guess, I’d say that was little Billy and his mom, Wilma.

42. I bet you’ve all been waiting for this!

43. to quote Marnie….

“WhEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!”

44. I think Monty Python has the answer:

45. Smilingks!

46. outside of the obvy, which is that Tove Jansson and Hemulen must surely be something science fiction-ish (or possibly just norwegian/ scandinavian)???

who and or what are Tove Jansson or Hemulen??

47. YAY how prescient M. Python were
    (and some of ‘em are still around, so also they “are” still prescient!!)

48. luvstehQte says:

a swedish children’s author/illustrator who writes/draws cute, charming animal stories

49. Killer Klown says:

I don’t know, something about their expressions makes me want to caption in a ‘You betcha!’ or three.