Meh, Maybe Next Year

Snooty cats everywhere are resolving to make new friends.

8331291604_44de644df2_z
Sigh, I sure know how to pick ‘em.

8331291380_30abc06735_z
We resolve to check out more of Miss Maxolotl & Rigby. Yes, Miss Max is an axolotl!

Comments

1. Aww, salamander’s clearly smitten.

2. Relevant:

3. Miss Maxolotl looked like an albino rat at first glance, but I couldn’t tell what was up with her hind end. Now I know — thanks to the comments on your posts, and Google — and, as we’ve all heard, knowing is half the battle! (Or am I showing my age?)

4. I thought it was a nekkid rat! Now I’m really intrigued (clearly more so than the kitteh). :)

5. While awesome, the fact that someone made this just blows my mind to smithereens, from sheer confusion!

6. 8O

7. Speaking of cat New Year’s resolutions…. ;-)

8. Blue Footed Booby says:

I knew what axolotls are (spellcheck tells me that’s the right pluralization, god what a weird word) and I still thought it was a rat. Did a double take when I saw the second pic.

9. What a riot!! :)

10. My first reaction was What the F is that?! :)

11. ‘xackly how I’m reacting as well, Mlle Gigi

12. please oh please tell me the feesh’s name is Darwin

13. cellarmouse says:

i think that is the most wonderful link i’ve ever seen…

14. I couldn’t work ou,t fer the life of me, what had happened to its back end.

Fainting couch no longer required, thank yew.

15. I’m with you, cellarmouse. Laughed until I cried.

16. Me too. Maybe kitty got hungry and started nomming?

17. He looks more like he wants to eat it than befriend it.

18. Hahaha! Nice one J.!

19. Waaaaaay too much time on their hands.. :D

20. I wondered the same thing….
    Important Q at 1:11….

21. 8O

22. lisaLASSIE says:

This is one of the funniest, brilliant videos I’ve ever seen (and heard)! Can’t stop laughing.

23. I dunno…they kinda look like star crossed lovers bound to never be together. You know, kinda like myself and my high school boyfriend sooooo many years ago ;)

24. Axolotl is a great word, known to peeps who are nerdy enough to have had MAD magazine subscriptions and read the DUNE books. For Duneheads, though, you think of Axlotl tanks which may be the single creepiest thing in the whole Dune canon–which is saying a lot. 8O

25. lisaLASSIE says:

Thax a lotl strangeness there.

26. Word.

27. when it became a salamander it went from being, like, British to Mexican?
    Science is amazing.

28. Those things are creepy, even though their heads are cute.

29. HAHA

30. I would pick up that kitty and give him/her a cuddling and tell him/her “I don’t think that axolotl would be good for you to eat, kitty.” :D

31. Kitty looks as confused as I am….”ees eet a feesh? a leezahrd? what the heck ees eet??”

32. I’ve heard the axolotls called Oopa Loopas in Japan and have seen them being sold at pet stores. If you ever get the chance, go to a Japanese pet store. I’ve seen axolotls, squirrels, small owls, big owls, a small hawk, giant rabbits, crazy looking beetles, and marmots!

33. Axolotl is actually a word in the Aztec language (Nahuatl), which accounts for the weirdness. It translates to ‘water monster’.

Xolotl (monster) is actually fairly respectful in Nahuatl, and a turkey is huaxolotl (‘big, impressive monster’), which is the original source of the Mexican-Spanish word for turkey, guajolote.

In Nahuatl, the plural would be axolotlin. A curious thing about Nahuatl is that only living creatures get plurals; inanimate objects use the same form for both singular and plural.

34. Elaine From L.A. says:

I agree with all of the above :~) I hope he doesn’t pop into my dreams tonight. They’re weird enough already :~/

35. Ok, time for me to go home now. I have learned more than my daily quota requires.

36. OMG: in all seriousness, that is absolutely fascinating! i love linguistics!!! thanks, serenpoly!
    we were actually studying Tenochtitlan in Art History class today…

37. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Not at all surprised that this came from the same people who gave us the Viking Kittens and the Fishy Song.

38. Its actually an axolotl, a kind of salamander. They’re very fascinating creatures, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

39. :o

40. Hmmm, vereh interesting….

41. And we all know how well those go for the majority of us don’t we.