Number 1 Reason Cats Clean Themselves

Even when they get the bath water temperature to feel just right, …it still feels wet!

8251118946_f4de15bfdf_o
Maura C., rescued a curious kitten and gave it a curious name; Squid Ink Sassafrass, who, “seems to be a bit confused about the whole “cats hate water” thing. She drinks with her right paw in the water bowl, hangs out by the bath tub and dips her tail and paws in, and can often be found staring at the drain in the tub or the shower. I blame myself for naming her after a sea animal…”

Comments

1. She has white smile!

2. Awesome name! She does look like she got in a tussle with a squid and ended up getting a few squirts on her.

3. kibblenibble says:

There is so much to love in this picture. The cat’s name, its unusual markings, its curiosity about the water, the cheery green bathroom….I have just one concern: The paperback is in danger of a soaking if it gets knocked in. Yay for the resQte!

4. she’s a beauty! Do you call such black-and-white kitties “cow kitties” in English? We do, in Polish. She’s a caw girl :)

5. She does–I completely missed that! She has really cool coloring and a great name, too.

Our two cats kind of like water, too, although not as much as Miss Squid Ink Sassafrass here.

6. I tried to figure out what book that could be. It’s silvery and says #1 National Bestseller on the spine … dunno, dunno.

7. Guys in the States call them “tuxedo” cats. Cow cats is much more cute!

8. 260Oakley says:

“Girl With the Draggin’ Cattoo?”

9. @ pyrit:

*sigh*

Join the club of peeple who come to or telephone local library/ bookstores and ask “Do you have that book? Y’know, the one that was on the National Bestsellers List? I remember it had a silver cover…”

and they TRULY have NOTHING further in the way of clues but stand there with a smile on their face as though they’ve just provided full bibliographic data and we will just turn to the book shelf behind us and lift out THAT PARTICULAR TITLE, waiting for them to ask about it.

I ain’t (or at least my INTENTION is NOT to) giving YOU a hard time.
    I know you wouldn’t expect a lot from that description

Just venting a bit of gripin’ over how many people don’t realize that .
    Did quite a bit of negotiation with folks, along these lines over 20-some yrs “in tha b iz”. Fortunately sometimes the book they were trying to identify, was STILL in the top five or top 10 book titles, so we were familiar with its currency and we were able to wrangle the needed data …

IN MOST PLACES
    books are NOT grouped by color of jacket.

10. ackshually I believe that I have heard/ seen folks reference “cow pattern” or some such phrase…here on CO, as well as other locations ….

11. mine does that!! utterly fascinated by all things water. top props for the rescue good hooman!

12. Christy Dylan says:

Ask your wife. My husband spend more time in the toilet for never ending constipated. The cat is just like me, ladies and gentlemen. It is me. Not scared to rebel myself. Lol

13. lovely plumage, the squid-ink sassafras

14. The scary part is when you know what it is.

/10 years in a bookstore/

15. My boy used to try to catch the water coming out of the bathtub faucet. Once I closed the drain and as soon as he realized his feet were submerged he backed out right quick. :)

16. phred's mom says:

Been there, too, Firdie. Soooooooo frustrating,
    especially when one reminds oneself that the
    customer is always right, even when they’re
    wrong. Keep smiling through clenched teeth.

17. kibblenibble says:

Yay, 260O! You did eet again! :lol:

18. SlaveToCat says:

That has to be the prettiest markings on a black kitty that I have seen in a long time.
    Ok does the pretty cat’s humans own Gatorade? The bathroom/Kitty playground seems to be 7 shades of Gatorade.

19. My Brendan used to sit on the edge of the tub and play with the bubble-bath bubbles. He didn’t mind in the least if he fell in, nor being rinsed off under the tap (to get rid of whatever was _in_ the bubble-bath, so he didn’t ingest it while grooming), but he absolutely _hated_ being dried off afterwards. As far as he was concerned, towels were just Evil…

20. Not all cats are afraid of water. One summer I baby sat a bunch of barnyard kittens for the neighbours while they were away and I kept fishing one out of the cows water trough but he would just jump right back in and happily swim around. I finally gave up after making sure he could get out by himself.

21. One of our cats likes to sit in the tub and stare at the drain. I say he’s looking for drain genies. He also will dabble in about an inch of water left in the sink.

22. That little white smile makes me so happy! I want to see if it covers the whole mouf!

23. In Arizona it seems to depend on the pattern. If it is more cow-ish or more tuxedo-ish. I’d say this varmint was more cow-ish.

24. To splash or not to splash, that is the question. o_O

25. My cats can open the bathroom door. They wait til you’re sitting down, then they bust in, leaving the door swinging open just out of reach. They make a lap around the bathroom, brush up against my legs, then leave. “As you were. Hey, your guests are looking for you. It’s a good thing I was here.” ;)

26. I have a boy cow cat (RIP Viola, his twin sis) and I’d say they are definitely different from tuxedo cats. Tux cats have more black all over and the white is down the front (like a tuxedo shirt under the tails). Cow cats are patchier, I think. Amazing pattern on this squidlicious girlie, though! And the bathroom itself has inspired me to redecorate. So there you go!

27. Mary (the first) says:

So I’m not imagining it!

28. Mary (the first) says:

Time to install a lock on the door! :D

29. warrior rabbit says:

I agree. We have both, but it depends on the distribution of color. White with black splotches is a cow cat. This one seems sort of tuxie to me.

30. warrior rabbit says:

My new kitten loves being in towels, even suspended in and spinning in one… Weirdo.

31. My sister has a sweet cow cat and I nicknamed her “cow cat” before I’d ever heard anyone else use the term because, well, she has cow markings! Definitely a different look than my beloved, departed tuxie — but just as sweet!

Love the smile on Miss Squid Ink Sassafrass up there!

32. I am fascinated along with everyone else at those markings. Especially the front legs, so pretty.

33. I bathed a foundling kitten once, and she was okay with it! She did not seem to like the idea as we approached the sink, but she calmed right down once I got her under the stream. I must have gotten the temperature just right.

34. looks kinda like she’s wearing those old-fashioned black and white wing-tip shoes :)

35. Jackie Rose says:

I’ve heard cats with cow-like markings called Holstein kitties. They’re mostly white with big black spots.

36. She is completely stunning and unique looking. I would love to see more pics of Squid Ink Sassafrass!

37. Glad to hear I’m not the only one that fixated on that particular detail…

38. She shoots, she scores, and the crowd goes wild.

39. bookmonstercats says:

I’m always curious as to why they are asking for a book when they don’t even know what it’s called.

40. And those leggings are to die for!

41. We took the family cat to a cottage on the lake one summer when we were kids. He loved sitting on the rocks at the water’s edge and getting his feet wet.

42. TINEE TUXEE

43. Such a beeeeeautiful kitteh. YAY for resqte!!!!!!!

One of my tabbehs waits until I put fresh water in the bowl and then splashes his front paws in it like it is a finger bowl (paw bowl?). Of course, he only does this when there is fresh water in the bowl. Cats!

44. Yeah, I’ve had a couple of kittehs over the years with the same tendency.

45. :)

46. that sounds very picturesque, T.U.M. :)

47. Blue Footed Booby says:

You just know that book kitty’s sitting on is gonna end up in the tub when she jumps off the rim.

Back when my bathtub faucet was leaking one of the feline housemates used to sit under it and let it drip on her face. She’d jump on my lap for petties, and she’d be wet. It was kinda disconcerting, because growing up with male dogs, I’m used to a wet head meaning something very different…

48. There is a story Chuck Jones tells in his autobiography about a kitty he met over the summer as a kid. This feline- no lie- liked to swim in the ocean. Chuck and his siblings would often turn around to be met with kitty’s little head bobbing behind them.

49. I love those markings and that white smile! Just gorgeous.

My Tuxedo loved the water too, or at least didn’t mind it. If my bath took too long she had no problems crawling in to join me. In fact, when I left her litterbox to soak too long she just went right in the water and came to me (angry) with a soggy bum. Gotta love the black and whites!

50. What a delightfully patterned kittayn!

51. skippymom says:

The crowd begins stockpiling weapons and canned goods!

52. skippymom says:

She is piebald.

53. skippymom says:

My brother’s cat Mattie would jump into the river and swim after them for a bit as they took off in their boat.

54. That is a truly bizarre word.

55. Her markings remind me of a Halloween skeleton costume. Very cute.

56. fleurdamour says:

Followed by a sequel, The Girl Who Played With Water.

57. fleurdamour says:

Perhaps she is a cowt.

58. fleurdamour says:

It’s Kitty Shades of Graytorade!

59. emmberrann says:

And says”moo” instead of “mew”.

60. emmberrann says:

Maybe she is Appaloosa or Paint.

61. That white smile is too moishe!

62. The cat I am currently sitting, Pouncer, will sit on the edge of the sink, or in the tub, and watch the drain, also! He doesn’t believe in bathroom privacy, either!
    This visit he will NOT drink water out of a bowl! (At home he waits for someone to be at the sink and turn the faucet on for him to drink from. Tried this, but no luck.) He *stalked* me for a day trying to get the glass of water I carry around, even stepping all over my head at night to get to it on the night stand!! Finally I put the full glass on the floor to see what he’d do–and he drank an inch of water! *sheesh* So that glass is now his, and I’m using a bottle with a cap! Cats! :-)

63. 8-O

64. er — um — didja maybe take that in the wrong direckshon, sk’mom?

or were you channeling (NT)Mike’s post from the other week, when “the crowd ” began showing signs of insanity??

*giggle*

65. skippymom says:

True story. I saw her do it. She was bummed that she couldn’t keep up with them.

66. joools in PDX says:

Cat names are self-fulfilling prophecies… I had a tuxedo cat I named Wolf long ago, and he was a wild thing! My stepdad liked to whistle in a shrill and tuneless manner, and Wolf would run up and bite him. We finally gave him to a family with more space, and he beat up their Dobermans and ran away. The call of the wild.

67. skippymom says:

8O

68. What an interesting cat! I would LOVE to see more pics of him/her, does the beautiful Sassafras have a website somewheres?

69. Thank you! She doesn’t have a website, but I post photos of her on Instagram pretty frequently if you have that application. They are usually tagged with #squidinkthecat. :)

70. Yay! I checked out your instagram :) She looks a bit older and fluffier and 100% snorgle’rific! **dives into belleh floofs***dodges tail swipes to da face***

71. Oh, link to the pic, i forgotted it.

72. She is definitely fluffier than ever and she doesn’t mind the belly snorgles one bit! :)

73. Lol. That is quite a name. I’ve had cats all my life but never thought to name them something like this. I just recently saw the FB photos of Tardar Sauce and thought that was an interesting name but this one is much more creative.