Visiting Hours

“… and they keep hiding his cigarettes, but Grandpa finds them every time. Oh, and Stacy and that boy from the DQ had a fight, and now she’s not going to the junior prom. But the good news is, Mom says if you make parole in June, that nice Mr. Ferguson will give you your old job back.”

Via Tumblr.

Comments

1. Cub Scouts field trip.

2. What the…???

3. My first reaction also.

4. what is that outside the glass? I don’t like to be confused so help me….

5. Catwhisperer says:

LOL! Best hovertext ever!!

6. Best guess: A child in a Halloween costume, which has the bear intrigued. I suspect it’s a dog costume, but it’s hard to tell from this angle, which I used to my advantage.

7. That’s better than the usual jack-o-lantern enrichment toy.

8. you know… if they’re not going to make a coffee-table book, at least I think NTMTOM & Co. should make an i-gadget app. One that you open up, tap whether you want kitten, puppeh, bunny, ‘surprise animal’, etc., and up pops a picture with a caption/witticism. + an Oakley pun for good measure.

9. I knew polar bears were big, but I didn’t realize HOW big! 0_o

10. I believe that is a Grizzly bear.

TOO cute!

11. Lewis n' Clark says:

and building on Tracylee’s idea, we could also have an auto-translation of the text in Outrageous Frawnsche!

12. Hey, is that at the Woodland Park Zoo? If not, it looks a lot like WPZ…

Cute photo. I’m having fun imagining the rest of the conversation.

13. phred's mom says:

Boy has baffled and bemused bear.
    (forgive me, couldn’t stop myself)

14. Gawd, I just love NTMTOM’s imagined quotidian conversations (Kwotidian Konversashuns™) :D

15. I think it’s a grizz– sun and reflections are distorting the color of his fur. Polar bears have a very distinctive, convex nose line, while grizzlies’ heads curve down into their noses, like this one.

16. and maybe an app listing all the Mod Lounge triggers…

17. I second that request!

18. Mary (the first) says:

Yeah, definitely a grizzly, not polar. Both are truly huge, though!

19. Mary (the first) says:

thanks.. I figured the Halloween costume part but not what kind of critter the child is supposed to be. Yes, with poetic license in the mix, it could be a bear with a big nose. :D

20. the coat makes me think wolf.

21. And a menu?

22. Blue Footed Booby says:

I think it’s specifically a Kodiak, not just a regular grizzly. Male Kodiaks get up to about 1400 lbs, averaging around 1100. That’s about the weight of polar bears, though from what I’ve read polars tend to be taller but less stocky.

tl;dr: bears are freaking huge

23. Thirding it.

24. First you pick it up
    Then you put it in the bag
    boom boom

25. and DELIVERY.

26. That is the best picture I have seen in a long time!

27. Good one Mike. ;-)

28. Fourthing it!

29. Bear looks like he’s laughing his bum off at the kid in the outfit.

30. I think this is my favorite caption (and hovertext) ever.

31. Starring Holly Hunter as the visitor, and John Goodman as the bear.

32. It’s a Grizzly bear. This is at the Russian Coast exhibit at the Minnesota Zoo.

33. Mary (the first) says:

Fifth!!

34. Did you both notice, the second Tag, under the photo???

35. Mary: wot’s yer pleasure??? :)

36. lmao….JUST noticed that. hahahahha.

37. It definitely is WPZ!

38. i feel dumb, but i don’t get why the hover text is funny. splayne please?

39. It looks more like the Minnesota Zoo. (They modeled their bear enclosure on WPZ’s.) If it’s Minnesota, then that looks like Kenai. His fur is that color, and he likes to swim.

40. doo nah’ feel duumb. I no gets hoovertext eeder. Often they’re particular bits from a certain film or buuuk and eef we ain’ seen tha buuk or film, wee doah’ get tha joke. You no esta alone, ashagato :)

41. songbirdnurse says:

My head just exploded!

42. It’s a continuation of the “imagined” conversation the “little boy” is having with his “dad” who is in “prison,” in regards to the dad’s old boss visiting the little boy’s mom… [winky winky]

43. The picture is great but the description and hovertext are perfection.

44. Wow, that was way-y-y back in the corner of my Disney memories.

45. Thanks, everybody! That makes more sense, I guess. :)

46. muchas gracias, fird! :)

and thanks, ceej! now i get it – the “he” is the old boss! (wink-wink, nudge-nudge)