Stay Cranky, My Friend

He once walked out of Les Miserables because it was “too cheerful.”

Oscar the Grouch thinks he’s a total downer.

He once yelled at a mobile advertising mouse on the grass to get off his lawn.

He is… The Grumpiest Cat in the World.™

(also, Buzzfeed’s Most Important Cat of 2012.)

Comments

1. okay. having all four paws front and center? with toebeans flagrante?

defiantly un-grumpy.

2. Yay!!!! Grumpy cat. :) Although….

THAT might be my favorite :) GERROFF my lawn :)

3. it’s also just a little bit cirque de soleil, if you get me

4. ha!

he needs a tall, skinny cat to ask him stupid questions out of left field

5. Meow humbug!

6. Isn’t Tartar Sauce here a “she”?

7. I love that in the world of internet meme, it’s the Grumpy Cat the grumpy unhappy old man, but in real life she seemed like one fuzzy sweet little lady who loves her humans.

8. Even for a cat, that’s flexible.

9. And look! The mug grumpy cat inspired! Isn’t it a great likeness?!

I WANT EET

10. Looks are SO deceiving!! It’s what’s on the inside that counts!
    She a sweetie!

11. Tarder Sauce Kitteh,
    Is the grump simpleh for show?
    Can grumpy mice be next, please?

12. What in the hell is going on with those paws? I can’t figure out where they’re all coming from and it is freaking me.

13. Grumpy Cat has a Facebook page, and I my favorite post was something along these lines:

17,351 likes! I love all of…

Ahahahaha!

Just kidding.

Nope.

14. If you look at Emmylee’s link below, you can see some side views.

She sits funny with her back legs extended straight out in front. I don’t know if she has some kind of physical issues with her legs, or if she just likes to sit that way.

15. Yep. Tard is a she. And I just loff her! <3

16. I swear she was just yelling at me to get off her lawn and to get a haircut.

17. She is such a beautiful cat! I would love to have one just like her.

18. Yay! I ♥ Tardar Sauce! The cutest kitteh evah!

19. Lucy's Mommeh says:

Tarder Sauce does have some sort of physical problem. She’s what’s referred to as a “Permakitten” She’s not going to get any bigger. She’s a perfectly happy puss though. Her momma is a beautiful, totally normal calico cat. I don’t know what sort of hiccup happened-maybe her daddy is also her uncle? She has a brother too, slightly less grumpy looking than her.

20. I love this cat! I think she does have some kind of birth defect making her super tiny and may be why she sits funny but it seems like she gets plenty of love. So cute! :D

21. OMG! Awesome! :)

22. Hey, it’s a girl… is SHE. And she’s amazing! <3

23. Video explaining more about her situation – she loves coffee cake and doesn’t like being called Grumpy. http://vimeo.com/54953791

24. warrior rabbit says:

Tardar Sauce also wants you to turn your music (or what passes for it, these days) down.

25. She doesn’t look grumpy at all, she looks like she has a cleft palate or something structural going on with her mouth/jaw.

26. Coffee Cup (now with more bunnies) says:

She has a host of genetic defects, including her small size and an underbite that makes her look like she’s always frowning, which makes her look grumpy all the time.

27. Grumpy cat is soo tiny and soooooo adorable!!!

28. @Demetrias: how did you embed image in your reply?

29. Once yelled at the grass to get off his lawn?! NTMTOM, you are a genius.

30. Folks, the vimeo video of Tardar is super cute – Tardar is voiced by a little kid’s voice.

31. She’s such a cutie patootie!

32. We need a staring contest between this cat and that giant disproving rabbit.

33. SlaveToCat says:

Sweet little kitty.

34. according to my browser, he actually didn’t…

35. I love this cat.

36. :)

37. yes.

38. Awesome!

39. OK, don’t leave us hanging: we do we send our money to get the grumpiest mug in the world?

40. I mean, *where* do we send our money…

41. warrior rabbit says:

Ha ha ha ha ha hah ha!

42. He throws the look of death around :37. And he reminds me of one of these:

Maybe he is a catfish.

43. fleurdamour says:

And tuck in your shirt.

44. Question: cake or deth?
    Grumpy Cat: Deth, that’s my final answer.

45. Where do we get this mug

46. Or with Henri the French Cat (Tard is no ‘le imbecile blanc’).

47. Yes. We want this mug.

Mug! Mug! Mug!

48. I didn’t! I simply posted the shortened link — ah, the mystery of C*O! :)

49. Oh dear. Your guess is as good as mine. It just happened to show up in a tumblr I follow this morning — but I’ll see what I can do about locating the purchase info! :)

50. How odd. I couldn’t see it at work, but I see it fine here. Maybe our lame firewall at the office blocked it.

51. Ahem…from lil Tardar’s website grumpycats.com

Grumpy Cat became an internet sensation after her photo was posted on Reddit on September 22, 2012. It was suggested that the original photo was photoshopped, so we posted a few videos on YouTube. The videos went viral and we decided to start GrumpyCats.com

We aren’t exactly sure about Grumpy Cats breed; but she looks nothing like her mother or father. She looks similar to a Ragdoll or Showshoe; but there have never been any of that breed around the house. Her mom is a calico domestic short hair cat and her father has grey and white stripes. (Though I suppose there could be a different father, promiscuous cats you know…)

She visited the vet at the beginning of October and they said she is healthy. They said her shape and size could be genetic or neurological and that they could do test to determine which; but since she is healthy we decided not to poke and prod her. If she seems ill we may look further into it; but she will receive regular checkups!

52. Awww man. I’ve been so good…so not used to being in the lounge. Curls up with a cup of ‘nog.

53. And either stay in or stay out, but stop slamming the screen door!

54. AWW :D What a cutie :D

55. Those paws, those paaaaaws. Aiiyeeee!

Only Grumpy Cat can bring a slight smile to my heart these days. And I appreciate that so much.

56. I entirely agree. I had never heard that line before, but it’s such a logical extension of the “get off my lawn” meme that now that I have heard it, it seems inevitable. Great work, NTMTOM.

57. Is it ironic or something that she’s become world famous for an expression which is the result of genetic defects? If she was human, we’d all feel enormously guilty, right? “She doesn’t intend to look that way, she can’t help herself?” But because it’s an animal (and we never thought the look was intentional, we merely didn’t know the reason for it), it can still be considered cute?

58. *screen door SLAMS shut — again.*

59. Demetrias: if nothing has done a massive reset with the computer that you were using, the websites you visited might be listed under “web history” in/ on its hard drive.
    That will work better if it’s your own personal terminal; if it’s a shared computer, the hard drive / web history might have since been cleared.

60. That guy is on Twitter! — https://twitter.com/VeryGrumpyCat

61. Oooops! Ok SHE is on Twitter! — https://twitter.com/VeryGrumpyCat

62. WANTS! :D

63. Grumpy-Cute!

64. Coffee Cup (now with more bunnies) says:

If it was a person, we (I say “we” as in the decent folks) wouldn’t make that person famous or the topic of memes (at least not intentionally). We’d acknowledge it was a condition abnormal to humans and make an effort to be sensitive. We don’t apply the same sensitivity to this cat because…well, it’s a cat. It’s funny because she’s not human, and one of the foundations of a good cat meme is anthropomorphizing them to give them a wider range of emotions (like grumpiness) or motivations other than animalness. And because she’s a cat, her feelings can’t be hurt by the internet thinking she’s grumpy cat. I mean, her owner has the site grumpycats.com.

And above all..and I know it’s not really a popular opinion among people who love animals… she’s a cat. Not human. I don’t really treat them the same way. I wouldn’t laugh at a person for having a genetic defect that caused him or her to have a persistent frown, but a cat is totally fair game.

65. MinglesMommy says:

I don’t care what anyone says, that is a Snowshoe cat. And I adore it.

66. Actually, people like the Elephant Man made a lot of money being sideshow freaks. Most of them lived quite comfortably and did not like the idea of their jobs disappearing because people decided to be ‘sensitive.’ If Grumpy Cat was a person and she posted a picture of herself saying ‘look at how grumpy I am! lolz’ then it would be totally fine to laugh and think she’s cute. It’s a gift and what you’re proposing would be more discriminatory than what the internet is doing with Tardar Sauce.

67. Hahaha! Amazing! I love Grump Cat!

68. I love Tardar Sauce aka Grumpy Cat!!! SHE is sooo cute!!! <3 :-D

69. I laughed so hard that I’m in tears

70. SHE. Tardar Sauce is a SHE cat.

Hissssss…..

71. Where can Where can I find that grumpy cat cup? I want it!

72. Lisa Dolan says:

I want this….where do I get it????

73. ok folks …. this is NOT the one with the SKETCH’d cat above. However it DOES seem to be coffee mugs, with a photo of this same Grumpy Cat itself/ herself. So in case any of you wants THAT, see the below.

74. There are several out there. I know which one I’d like in my stocking (hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint, hint). Can you guess which one? How about I get one for you, you get one for me… Happy for all!

75. Coffee Cup (now with more bunnies) says:

But that was then, this is now. I don’t see how I’m being discriminatory if I don’t want to or wouldn’t laugh at a person with a genetic defect even if that person was poking fun at him or herself. Even if the person was, in essence, giving permission for others to do it I wouldn’t out of discomfort. A lot of comedians use their own appearance for comedic effect, but it wouldn’t necessarily be my style of humor, that’s all.

76. Where can I get that mug?!

77. sauce.

I wannnnttt

78. NO : – (

(jk — just being Grumpy.)

79. MinglesMommy says:

Just discovered this. BRILLIANT.

80. Hello all! I found where you can get the adorable mug! It’s on CafePress:

81. sleekityin says:

She’s not grumpy, she’s just misunderstood. (Love the “Hooman, I did not grant my permission for you to stop scritching” look on her wee face at the end.)