CO Salutes Our Veterans

When you come home from work, whether it’s the office down the street or the desert across the globe- your friend will be there.

Photo from the Interwebs.

Comments

1. This picture makes even the mighty Oak go wobbly at the roots. My heartfelt thanks to all veterans, human and canine.

2. The hovertext pushes me over the edge of tearsville.

3. Thank you soldiers!!

4. It just got really dusty in my house.

5. Kallisto73 says:

Yep, I really need to hoover this place. Dust mites in my eyes. Actually, who am I kidding? These are tears. And they should be.

6. What a beautiful and poignant photo. A huge ‘thank you’ to all veterans, past and present.

7. Those eyes! Snif.

8. What a wonderful photo.
    Many thanks to all our veterans and current service people, and their families for their sacrifices. I loff them.

9. The look of love, adoration, empathy, loyalty, appreciation…. snif.

10. Jackie Rose says:

The debt of gratitude we owe the gallant souls who have served or are serving can never be repaid.

11. Stressfactor says:

Never underestimate the healing power of a furry soul. God bless those who hurt and those who heal both.

12. Queen of Dork says:

I posted this on another thread but it seems more appropriate on this one. So here it is. Thank you so much to our U.S. Soldiers! I love the freedom that I have, to go to school if I want to, to work if I want to, and so much more! Both of my parents were in the Army so I’m an Army Brat. I’m so thankful to our soldiers, past and present, including my own mom (Lieutenant) and dad (Major)

13. ^^What everybody else said.

I think in addition to the moderation lounge, we might need to add a “pull yourself together” lounge for posts like this one. I’ll bring the tissues.

14. Queen of Dork says:

That’s a good idea, CathyDee. Could you please pass me a tissue? *passes Cathy some chocolate*

15. Thanks for the chocolate, QoD. I’ll be happy to share my teddy bear, too.

16. To all veterans past and present, Thank You.

17. The Pull Yourself Together Lounge™

Where each guest receives
    1) A warm army blanket,
    2) One box tissues (with Aloe vera),
    3) Your choice one cup hot tea or coffee, and
    4) And a nice slice of pie (all-you-can-eat).

18. Words can never properly express the gratitude I feel for our veterans, past and present. This photo really does say it all – no words needed.

19. Queen of Dork says:

*looks around* Wow! I’m in The Pull Yourself Together Lounge! The apple pie is delish! And look at these kittens, otters and puppies! Wait a minute. They’re trying to eat my pie! Stop it! Hey. Now that’s uncool. I’m cold! Give me my blanket back. Hey! No, no little otter, no. Don’t eat the tissues! No! Okay fine, have my slice of pie.

20. What a beautiful photo to reminds us of the unconditional love of our furry friends, and the bravery of all the men and women who have and are serving our country.

21. i want a prosthetic dog nose in perfect petting position!

(oh, and hooah! Go Army!)

22. *snicker*

23. Blue Footed Booby says:

I wish it hadn’t taken wars to do it, but prosthetic technology has advanced enormously since oh about September 2001. There are now motorized prosthetic limbs controlled by electrodes that sense nerve impulses allowing the wearer to control it with his/her *mind*.

A lot of the research is being funded by DARPA. One of the groups being funded is led by the guy who invented the Segway. According to a magazine article I read a while back, he was watching TV one day, and saw a soldier on the news who had lost his arms to an IED, and so was unable to hold his newborn child. The Segway guy said to himself “this will not do” and set about trying to make something like Luke’s arm in Star Wars.

Insert Deus Ex joke here.

24. For a great story of how a service dog helped one veteran, check out Until Tuesday, by Luis Carlos Montalvan!

25. OMG! I think I started something! Yay!

26. Queen of Dork says:

You TOTALLY started something. :)

27. Such a profoundly moving photograph. Thank you for sharing this with us. And heartfelt thanks to all of our veterans and their families.

28. Ditto what Nikki said. Thanks, veterans, for our freedom!

29. A beautiful picture. Those eyes…

Thank you veterns. Thank you.

30. In Flanders Fields
    By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
    Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

31. lisaLassie says:

*heading off to the Pull Yourself Together Lounge”

32. I second that emotion!

33. I am the wife, mother, mother-in-law, daughter, daughter-in-law, sister-in-law, niece, great-aunt, and friend of veterans and active military folks. Words cannot adequately express the gratitude, admiration, and respect I have for all our military. God bless ‘em all! (heading off to the Pull Yourself Together Lounge, wiping my eyes and nose while I sniffle and snuffle)

34. I think this is worth way more than a thousand words. Shoot, it’s PRICELESS.

35. I second that, Jackie Rose.

36. I agree with you 1000%, Gaz!

37. I agree, Booby (hee hee–I said “booby” on the interwebs!);it’s a shame that it often takes a war or some other sort of tragedy for innovations to be inspired. Thank heavens there are people out there who are willing to say “this will not do” AND then DO something about it!

Plus, I appreciate any casual references to classic Greek drama. I’m just too sleepy to come up with a joke.

38. phred's mom says:

Third that emotion. Lawzy, I want
    a dog again. *snif*

39. Well this one made me dissolve in to tears! There is little sweeter than the bond between animal and human.

40. Ack. Me, too. Sweeter than candy. Where are my G——-n tissues??!

41. Same here.

42. Blue Footed Booby says:

That was actually a reference to a computer game that was making a reference to greek drama. (NERD ALERT)

One of the central elements to the game is cybernetic augmentation. A guy in the third game in the series talks about getting his dog augmented (or as he calls it, dogmented).

AND I’VE BROUGHT US FULL CIRCLE

43. OMG This made me cry my eyes out! I salute you veterans, canines and humans :)