Rodents of Unusual Sires

How many litters can one gerbil pair have? A gerbillion!

Did You Know: Dad gerbils love to cuddle and play with baby gerbils and help Mom gerbils care for each litter. In fact, Mom gerbils get too stressed raising a litter by herself!

Every litter bit helps, Zac B.

1. I used to have gerbils when I was little, and I definitely remember that when mom wanted to get up and get some food or exercise, dad would go right over and lay with the babies to keep them warm and cozy. It was super sweet :)

2. I smell an encore presentation for father’s day.

3. and a teeeeeny weeenie ‘tocktober entry! * refrains from all caps to underscore extremity of cute’splosion…composes self to resume day*

4. Rodents of Unusual Sires? I don’t think they exist.

5. Norbertsmom says:

As you wish Juno, as you wish :-)

6. It’s inconceivable!

7. You keep using that word. I think it means what you think it means.

8. *kicks the word ‘don’t’ into its proper place*

9. stbernardmom says:

I also LOVE The Princess Bride!!!

10. Norbertsmom says:

Hello my name is Indigo Montoya, you killed my father prepare to die
    (and I wonder why no one will play scene it with me :-P )

11. Crazy Pants says:

Anybody wanna peanut?

12. emmberrann says:

Princess Bride geekn here. Um, it’s Inigo, not Indigo.

13. Probably autocorrect…

15. I didn’t know gerbils were such good daddies–just adorable!

16. Fird Birfle says:

The Hovertext, peeps !!!!

17. Fird Birfle says:

PS: In re post title: I wonder what a gerbil-slash-MILKMAN looks like????

Casting Aspersions on Mrs. Gerbil’s Faithfulness

18. Martha in Washington says:

Next thing you know, he’ll be teaching them to blow bubbles in their milk glasses, “pull my finger” jokes and how to hit things with a hammer.

19. That’s where the uncle gerbils come in.

20. Errr, I shall come back and squee when the leetle ones grow a bit more fur.

21. *rushes for box of tissues * *cries *

22. Hurray for gerbil mommies and gerbil daddies! Makes me feel all warm inside.

23. skippymom says:

This is the sweetest thing I have ever seen.

24. :)

25. HI, CEEJOE!!!
    By the way, we were just fine in the big storm, thanks for asking (about a million posts ago). Never lost power; a tree came down but didn’t hit the house.

26. Ah, my first visit to the lounge in a dog’s age. I think I’ll have a Yoohoo.

27. Does Yoohoo even still exist? I’ve never actually had one. The concept is so disgusting.

28. It does! And you should try it– it is weird, and the end part can be kinda gross, but I think it actually tastes good! I also suggest chocolate wine, if you want to go down that road.

29. It does! I got some on my way to work last Friday because Sandy shut everything down and it was the closest I could get to hot chocolate in the semi-dark grocery store. It’s….not as yummy as I seem to remember it being when I was a kid…;)

30. It’s hard to say no to a Yoohoo.The name literaly beckons.

31. Fird Birfle says:

Dr. Sheldon Cooper.

(I think I’ve seen *MOST* of the episodes????….)

32. Aka Shellybean aka Moonpie cuz he’s nummie nummie and his meemaw could just eat him up!

33. Fird Birfle says:

He would call “NO MEEMAWS” !!!!

35. Fird Birfle says:

(this was sposed to land under the comment from murkle46 above)

36. Daddy day care gerbil style!

37. Fird Birfle says:

38. Sharon Wilson says:

Well, if you had 15 babies OF COURSE you’d be stressed!

39. Emmberrann says:

Oh, the peenkie peenkness of it all. Dose bebehs are wery peeenk, all honkshuing away….

40. A baby mouse is called a pinkie. I wonder whether the same term is used for other rodents?

41. I know something else they look like. Does anybody wanna, …peanut?

42. skippymom says:

I’ll have a handful with my Yoohoo!

43. Fird Birfle says:

skippymom there are NOT ONE but TWO comments (below and not yet below) which I wrote to you earlier today, with data/ Yoo Hoo sales. Please check back here in a coupla days. Neither has anything objectionable and they’ve both been in Mod for a coupla hours now …..

44. Fird Birfle says:

to the awesome skippymom:

“Yoo-hoo…. … which sees more than $100 million in retail sales each year. … ”

BizBeatBlog webpage
    and some corporate data on a webpage from Dallas TX, dated May 2012 !!!!

45. Fird Birfle says:

wow these comments are not going in any logical order.

AND my info for skippymom which has NOTHING controversial innit, got MOD’d.

skippymom: I found a dollar figure, dated May 2012, which refers to $100 MILLION
    annual retail sales / YooHoo !!!!! That’s what is in my comment that got Mod’d.

46. I bought a couple of gerbils eons ago, a male and a female (unbeknownst to me AND the fact the female was preggers) but the male was a very good daddy, He tended the nest and would clean the behbehs. He would pick up each lil peanut and It’s hard to describe, almost like a squirrel does with a nut…. he’d roll ’em around (like a squirrel) and lick their bottoms.(NOT like a squirrel unless that’s what squirrels do with their behbehs) The only thing that was off…..was he was trying to mount the poor thing RIGHT after she gave birth.

47. Alien Guardian says:

Female gerbils can get pregnant right after they give birth, but the zygotes won’t implant until the current brood are weaned.

48. Which…is how you end up with endless baby gerbies! They are soooooo cute tho when they get fur and try to move around the cage with their eyes still closed. It was usually my daddy gerbs that played “fetch the stranded bebeh” when they got that big.

49. He wa probably trying to get on her good side by taking care of the kids, so she would look favorably on him ifyaknowwhadahmean. Ahem

50. lisaLassie says:

CO, I dint know that about gerbils but the information warms my heart. Thank you.

51. Lucy's Mommeh says:

I had gerbils in my younger days. There was a bunsh of “teenagers” in with mum & dad after she had a second brood. The “teens” actually helped momma with the younger siblings! They are quite sweet little critters.

52. Gerbils are very social animals and get lonely without a buddy–but get same sex pairs. Also for anyone trying to convince their dad that gerbils make a good pet *wink, wink* gerbils pee less than any pocket pet (desert dweller conserving liquid) and therefore have the best smelling cages! :-)

53. If you get same-sex pairs (strongly recommended unless you want endless broods of babies), I suggest getting two males. When we had two females, they fought until we had to separate them. And I think they were sisters, so that didn’t help them be friends. Our male pairs always got along fine, if they were either brothers or from the same tank at the pet store.

54. In my experience ( 30+ years of owning gerbils) it’s rare to have that problem with female pairs! My sister and I had a WALL of gerbil homes as teens (much to my father’s consternation) and only once did we have female fighting serious enough to separate them. Inbreeding can cause medical issues and irritability, though. Also, pet store workers are not trained to determine sex or age of small pets. This can result in surprise pregnancies, or the combination of mature and immature animals in one tank. This is esp. true for females, since maturity of females is more difficult to determine than that of males. :-)

55. Oops! In mod lounge…should have used “gender” instead of “s**”
    Bring on the munchies!

56. Rodents of unusual sires? I don’t think they exist.

57. I’m sorry, but just a public service announcement – don’t leave daddy gerbils alone with babies. They eat them. I learned this in a really gross way when I was 7 or so.

58. Put therapist on speed dial.

59. When I first looked at the little babeh gerbils, I thought they were little slices of ham :P