High Five

Singin’ a song.

Purrin’ along.

Via Timeline Photos. James Bowen is a London street musician (and a fine Men of CO candidate!) who rescued an injured tomcat and named him Bob. The two have been inseparable ever since, performing together and writing a book this year. Read their story of life together on the streets of London in, “A Street Cat Named Bob“.

Comments

1. I want to call matchink on those ears. On the cat and on his “mat.”

2. Awww. My sister had a rescued Ginger named Bob. He was the sweetest boy in the world. This photo and story brings back great memories.

3. Mary (the first) says:

Awwww. Yay for James! And Bob! Glad they found each other!!

4. Indeed–they look like they were meant to be a pair!

5. I’ve met Streetcat Bob and James in London. He is one truly chilled zen cat. He stays with James in thronging streets and is absolutely non-fazed by traffic and hoards of people- which is saying something in central London! He’s an amazing cat!

6. Coffee Cup (now with more rabbits) says:

Bob is so cute! I love his little white “bib.”

7. Marmies are total clowns – perfect for a street act. Hope James can incorporate Bob into his gig.

8. How lucky for both of them.

9. Fird Birfle says:

ditto the awww and the dual yays!!!

10. You reminded me of a song my daddy and I used to sing together when I was very small, “Side by Side”.

We ain’t got a barrel of money
    Maybe we’re ragged and funny,
    But we’ll travel along,
    Singin’ a song,
    Side by side.

Don’t know what’s comin’ tomorrow
    Maybe it’s trouble and sorrow
    But we’ll travel the road
    Sharin’ our load
    Side by side

Through all kinds of weather,
    What if the sky should fall?
    But as long as we’re together,
    It really doesn’t matter at all.

When they’ve all had their quarrels and parted
    We’ll be the same as we started
    Just travlin’ along
    Singin’ our song
    Side by side.

Only I guess there should be a “purrin’ along” in there somewhere…

11. warrior rabbit says:

Kay Starr! W00t.

12. OMG! I think I love big orange tomcats even a bit more than tinee tabbees. I love to kiss their giant round punkin heads.

13. roastpotato says:

Bob used to be at my local tube station (Angel, Islington) here in London before he became famous. He is lovely and obviously very happy and well looked after :-)

14. I think I’m in love with BOTH of them!

15. Fleurdamour says:

Hey, I’ll buy the book. Right on for this guy turning his life around AND saving a kitty.

16. Jetlaya67 says:

I just bought the electronic version of the book. Once I saw the picture, I wanted to know their back story.

17. YEA Bob! YEA James! Thanks for the huge smile I’ll now have for the weekend! Don’t forget to buy the book everyone – it would be a great Christmas present!

18. Good ta see ya!
    James is one cool cat, in the hat.

19. awww, BFF’s.

20. Bob’s mat is in the shape of a mouse and with a matching hat for coins! Bob and James look like a couple of really cool dudes. So adorable.

21. I thought it was the shape of a cat, hence the matchink. Can’t see the tail.

22. A proposal for a new Rule of Cuteness: if your street cat pal high-fives you, it’s cute. How about it Peeps? Are ya with me?

23. I don’t know about Kay Starr, I just know about Dad and me.

I was all of three years old, so I think Dad probably did most of the singing.

24. I always think that even when we think we rescue our anipals, I feel like its actually them who rescue us. *goes and curls up with her pup*

25. Fird Birfle says:

oh yeh.

26. Mary (the first) says:

Absolutely!

27. I can’t stop looking at the picture!

28. So true, Emmm! I bought the book last year, and promptly recommended it to everybody I know. It’s a wonderful book, plus it has a happy ending, unlike far too many books about animals! Bob is a great cat; he picked himself up the perfect human for him, too. :)

29. You are quite right, Emmylee! And I am unanimous in this! ;-)

30. Same here, Juno :D I wish James and Bob all the best :D

31. I read the book last spring and it was great. I highly recommend it to anyone who is a cat lover and even to those who aren’t because it isn’t just about Bob. I found it to be an interesting look at the life of a recovering drug addict as well as a peak inside how different cultures deal with this problem.

32. I actually pass them quite often on the way to work! Pretty amazing stuff!