Born Free!

Please meet Navann, born October 28th.

Now, before you freak out cuz this bebeh bull umphalump makes you want to lactate, let’s add another layer.

Navann was born to Sri Prae at Elephant Nature Park, a wonderful place that rescues elephants from Thailand’s tourist and illegal logging industries and brings them to live and roam their 250 acre refuge.

Sri Pae was brought to the park in 2010 after surviving a land mine blast. What?! I know! AND she was pregnant! 22 months after her rescue she surprised all of the park staff by birthin’ a giant bundle of joy.

You may now commence your freak out.

Thank you Elephant Nature Park, bless you Sri Prae and best to Navann, my new boyfriend.

Comments

1. savvy_geek says:

Look at his little ankle fuzz! I wanna pick him up and snorgle him!

2. You won’t be able to pick him up without mechanical assistance for long, and even now you need some serious muscle–apparently he was 98kg at birth! Navann is adorable, and I send my heartfelt thank you to the Elephant Nature Park as well.

3. He looks surprised, lol. How the heck did I get here??!!

4. that is the cutest little trunklet I have evar seen. fer reals, y’all.

5. ah! the fuzzy back legs!!! I AM freaking out!

6. Oh sweetums sweetums! Blessings on you and your lovely mum. And can I steal a kiss?

7. Fuzzy McFuzzersons. Nom nom nom on his little earcrepes….

8. That’s how most newborns look. There’s a picture of my nephew Sam just after he was born, and the look on his face was saying, “You would not believe what just happened to me!”

9. I want to nom on his flappy ears.

10. Katie, I just snerked for real over that. Thank you! And you are so right, babies really do have that “What the heck?!” look when they are newborns!

11. Fird Birfle says:

Best get it on ‘afore tracylee gits there……she has the hardest ear-nomming Jonez EVAHR ….. worse ‘n heroin, that …..

12. Fird Birfle says:

CP HOW DARE YOU insinuate that any of us here is here for other than academic, scholarly and accounting motives??? WE would NEVAHR display anything less than the ULTIMATE in profound, distinguished and exemplary demeanor.

WHYIOUGHTTA…. *little cartoon figure, shaking angry, tiny fists in the air*

13. We’re absolutely gonna need someone to make a wee Fird cartoony gif to illustrate that.

14. I lubs him. And him mama.

15. My brother has it and he’s 40. :P

16. *stamping tiny feets*

17. Wow, so that’s how little huffalumps curl into fetal postiions!

18. Kari Callin says:

So sweet! I can just imagine his mamma singing sweetly to him…

Baby mine, don’t you cry
    Baby mine, dry your eyes
    Rest your head close to my heart
    Never to part
    Baby of mine

Little one when you play
    Pay no heed to what they say
    Let your eyes sparkle and shine
    Never a tear
    Baby of mine

If they knew all about you
    They’d end up loving you too
    All those same people who scold you
    What they’d give just for the right to hold you

From your head down to your toes
    You’re not much, goodness knows
    But you’re so precious to me
    Sweet as can be
    Baby of mine

19. it’s mostly for puppehs, yanno, but I’ll bet his ears have the texture of fruit roll-ups :)

20. I admittedly went to one of said tourist parks back when the tsunami hit in 2004 and am now shameful my family took us there. I don’t think we knew at the time what was going on and we weren’t even supposed to go to that area since we had to reroute our trip. But I’m glad there’s places like the Elephant Nature Park to protect the bebeh elephants.

21. So sweet. And will you get a load of that schnoz! I love everything about this story.

22. Fird Birfle says:

thanks, Theresa and Dash!!! I see that We Are One (kinda-sorta) !!!

*gets out crayolas and posterboard*

23. lisaLassie says:

I agree with Fird. I am here purely to learn scientifically proven….stuff. The photos and captions are simply to help expand our knowledge base. The fainting, melting, head ‘splosions, squeeing, etc. etc. are inarticulate (except loud squeeing) expressions of the pleasure of learning. Thank you.

and now, having examined the photo, I can learnedly exclaim: SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

24. Fird Birfle says:

*slightly subdued snerkitty*

25. Crazy Pants says:

Oh Man! Fird, I hereby declare that your tyrades and rants are the best in the land. I really hope someone makes a cartoon gif of you and that they include a very red face, maybe some steam coming from your earses! Thanks for the chuckle!

26. Freaking out AND lactating! Thanks a lot, CO.

27. omg elephants shoot an arrow of love straight thru my heart. ded.

28. Fird Birfle says:

*calms down a little bit*

*blushes*

29. Cambridge Rat Mom says:

Lek Chailert, founder of the Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai, Thailand, is an amazing woman who is doing so much for the brutalized elephants of her country.

This little one will never have to go through the brutal crush training or have to haul logs illegally or beg on city streets.

Check out her page. If you like what she does, send her some money. It’s a great cause.

30. Blue Footed Booby says:

I’m lactating, and I’m male.

What have you done?

31. Male? Egads! Now I will have to rethink you–not that there’s anything wrong with that. Gosh, what am I trying to say?

32. I took my family to the Elephant Nature Park a year ago. It was a wonderful experience. No elephant rides. Lots of close up time with these beautiful rescued animals and their dedicated humans: feeding, bathing them in the river, and learning about Lek’s mission to save Thai elephants. It was the highlight of our trip to Thailand.

33. Ermegerd. A bebbeh ellie with a paw tuck (despite lacking paws).

34. Almost clicked on the crush training link, but not tonight.
    (I always root for the elephants when I hear stories of them running amok and killing their handlers. I’m an awful person)

35. Thrilled to see Navann getting famous! Check out Navann’s first bath time on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfJ_8R6Ok28

36. Crazy Pants says:

GAAAAA!!! Thank you so much, Mindy! That is ridiculously cute.

37. Alice Shortcake says:

“I think we’re gonna need a bigger bath”

38. *freaks out*

39. Had a look at the Elephant Nature Park web-site and I think I’m going to plan to volunteer!!! Awesome project!

40. Just shut down the interwebs cuz there’s nothing that can top this (at least for the moment). Thank you, Mindy!!

41. Oh, and doesn’t he just look like a Navann? :)

42. Blue Footed Booby says:

Are you trying to say that you never considered that someone with “booby” in their username might be male? :V

43. Thanks Mindy!
    The floppage at 0:49 is too much!!!

44. Maybe he just needs a good spit bath. :)

45. Oh my gosh ….. first encounter with water at 6 days old! Too freaking cute.

46. Nah, we knew you it, we just figured that since you were a guy, you just misspelled “Bobby”. :D

(JK, of course.)

47. Awww, so cute! I wanna wrap him in a blankie and feed him with a bottle! :-)

48. Love it when the hoomin hose- holder passes the hose to Mummy heffalump. ” Here. Jeez it’s your kid! You keep the tub full!”
    I luff everything on this vid, the hoomins and the heffalumps.

49. Is he just borned in this photo, or is he having a nap? He looks too dry for just borned.