If You Like Piña Coladas

Laaaaaaadies!

The name’s Ray. Sting Ray. Hang at this reef often?

What say we head over to the Tiki Hut after this Snorkel Sesh for a Bahama Mama, or mebbe some Strip Poker at my casa?

Oooh, gonna need a little Coppertone on the shoulder, Hon. [Flap flap of fin on shoulder]

Photobomb c/o of Epic676. Apologies to Rupert Holmes.

Comments

1. “Apologies to Rupert Holmes”? Sorry, I think he owes US an apology.

2. 260Oakley says:

“Everybody Loves Ray-man”

3. rescue gal says:

I think he probably scared the sting ray just as much grabbing it and lifting it out of the water like that.

4. Hey baby, what’s your sign? I am a Pisces…..

5. There’s a guy in the back that probably lifted the ray on the back of the ladies but I know that they can propel themselves out of the water when they want. I fed little white rays at the zoo last year and the would swim halfway out of the water to get the fish from my fingers.

6. ♬ I caught rays in paradise, ♪
    ♫ and yes I mean both kinds of rays.♩

Wait, I guess that would just be the cartilaginous fish and rays from the sun? I guess that’s not much innuendo there…

7. I love the the ladies faces!

8. I love you Oak! :D

9. The sting ray actually looks rather adorable.

10. So reposting this from a Reddit user:

“Chick on the right should get her money back for her Ray Bans. They are clearly ineffective.” I lol’ed pretty hard about that comment.

This is one of my favorite posts, here, as of late. Didn’t I just say that about the blorpy puggle and the underwater dog book and the…?

11. Was this from one of those “feed the rays” tourist tours? If so, they need to be careful, lilke bears they apparently get aggressive when you run out of picnic baskets.,

12. Yes, very cute face, though the poor thing looks dismayed, as well it should, by this rough treatment.

13. This song’s gonna be a tough one to write. What rhymes with “cartilaginous?”

14. Thank you Meg.

Now whenever I see a stingray, I will think of a beer-bellied, fake tanned, extra-smarmy, used car-insurance salesmen, wearing the wrong sized Speedo (as if ANY Speedo is the right size), badly in need of some strategic man-scaping, chunky gold zodiac chains and rings swinging, chewing a stinky wet stogie, drinking a Coors Lite, making unbelievably sleazy advances on poor and un-expecting women who, truth be told, are all too familiar with this kind of mook, and just want to be left alone.

15. Don’t know if the link works, but the Hallowe’en costume is hilarious!

16. Oh, that’s hysterical!

17. coronagold says:

OMG! Get it off get it off get it off!!!

18. rescue gal says:

I wholeheartedly agree.

19. I know I’d freak out just as much as these ladies… but I’d actually love every second of it. Smilingk sting ray indeed!

20. Some rays are super friendly. If you ever get the chance to pet them at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, you will see that they do come right up to you looking for pets with that silly smile on their face.

21. Awwwwwwww he is sooo cute

22. bookmonstercats says:

They can, Gigi. I spent many happy hours (and euros) feeding rays in an aquarium in Spain a few years ago, and the small to medium-sized ones can lift themselves over half way out of the water. The bigguns like this one didn’t, though. They flipped themselves over onto their backs and opened their mouths. I agree, he probably had a bit of help there, but what a cracking picture.

23. That looks like a blast, I’d do that in a heartbeat!
    Heh heh, just get that big ol’ stingray outta there–

OWW! Penny smacked me right on top of my head!

24. This was taken at Stingray City in Grand Cayman. I worked there for a year and this ray has clearly been lifted out of the water (you can see the guys dark hair behind the ray). This is basically suffocating the ray and they, like other fish, need to be in the water to breathe. The Cayman authorities have a single guy policing the whole sandbar where, on cruise ship days, thousands of people can visit to feed and pet the stingrays. All the handlers are supposed to abide by the rules which means not lifting the ray out the water. However there are a few unscrupulous people who hide behind the crowds so that people can get photos like this, with no regard for the stingray. The only reason the ray “allows” this to happen is because it is suffering the effects of a “food coma” – they have been stuffed to bursting with squid so that they will be compliant and docile enough for people to hold and have photos/videos taken.
    I will say it is a wonderful experience to go there and touch the rays but if you do go, please do the rays a favour and keep them under the water. Tell the handler the same!

25. Ick!!!

Sweetness and Light Moderator sez: I just about died from happiness when I got to swim with stingrays in Caye Caulker. It was very laid back, a small number of them and they swam around freely and seemed to enjoy being petted. At least they seemed to circle back again and again and no one was forcing anyone to do anything. Their skin feels amazing and they seem gentle… I hope it wasn’t from being overfed.

Deathray and Darkness Moderator sez: I think it’s okay to pull the stingrays out of the water as long as the cruise passengers are willing to be held under for the same amount of time.

Although ye be a nuffer, I’m in a good mood and ye shall pass.

26. You addressed that perfectly.

27. CritterMama says:

Not to worry–no stingrays were harmed in the making of this photo but some creativity and digital manipulation were put in play: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/01/stingray-photobomb-the-st_n_1928570.html.

28. Am I reading it correctly? The sender-inner says the photographer put the stingray on their backs… ?

This photo was taken five years ago in Cayman Island at Stingray Island. We were on a cruise for spring break. The photographer originally asked us to take a photo with the stingray in front of us, which we did, but then afterward as a joke he put it on our backs without us knowing! Our reactions are genuine, and the photographer snapped the photo at the perfect time! We had no idea that the photo was so brilliant until later when he showed us the proof. We immediately bought it. From left to right are Sarah Bourland, Natalie Zaysoff, Kendall Harlan.

29. suefin@sympatico.ca says:

Looks like Jenn!!! dribbling orders to the others!!!

30. I wonder how the ray is feeling…

31. CritterMama says:

Wow, I didn’t read that article as carefully as I should have! I thought it indicated that the photo was digitally manipulated but you’re right, it does say that the photographer put the ray on their backs. Hrrumph!

32. ahhh, g’wan :)

33. I know! Ewww!

34. Linda Matuskey says:

I’ve been to Stingray City. The rays are very tame and it is a hoot to feed them: their little mouths are on the bottom, and they feel like soft marbles when the take the food. Very cool creatures. Our guide was very respectful and made sure we were not harming the fish.