Milk of Almost-Human Kindness

I thought living in the zoo would be a sweet gig—tire swing, all the fruit you can eat. But nooooo, they make you work for a living around here!

Via Ask.com on Facebook.

Comments

1. Ok, we can close the interwebs. We’ve seen it all.

2. That is the cutest thing I ever saw. There are so many stories and pictures that show that primates have empathy toward other species.

3. [ded]

4. wow. That is all.

5. Humans are rarely this nice to each other. We could learn so much from the animal kingdom if we only paid attention. This is just a beautiful thing.

6. Beautiful. The chimp looks so tender and gentle here.

7. ThirdShift says:

OMG, peeps! He’s wearing jeans shorts! Quick, get him a nametag and it’s official! The right arm over the cub, too funny! And look at the 3 other little guys waiting in the crate behind him. This guy has a full day! I need to see him outside the building on a banana break, can we get that photo?

8. 260Oakley says:

Tiger, tiger, slurping right
    In the lap of that young sprite,
    With his chimp-y hands and feet
    Giving you a meelky treat.

(My apologies to Billy Blake)

9. My heart is bursting. Love reigns supreme!

10. OMG!!! This is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. I would love to see photos of these two in a year or so, I wonder if they will still be friends. And talk about the lion lying down with the lamb…don’t tigers eat chimps if they can catch them?? Also I wonder if humans taught the chimp to feed the tigers, or if he saw them doing it and insisted on trying it himself.
    This photo should go into a required-reading book: How to Get Along With Others and Bring Peace to the World.

11. IMO no apologies necessary, this is a great homage!

12. I don’t do facebook – can somebody find out where this magical place is and what kind of work they’re doing?

13. For all we know monkeh here has a swipe badge in the back pocket.

14. Okay, I’m sorry, I have heard that line WAY too often. I fully agree that this moment and others like it are beautiful and wonderful examples to follow, but you do realize they are NOT THE NORM? They are wonderful BECAUSE they are exceptional. Mostly, animals eat each other.

15. I think we know it’s not the norm but when it does happen, it’s inspiring, memorable and something to be celebrated.

16. Absolutely! No question! But the “we could learn so much from the animals” comment gets trotted out EVERY SINGLE TIME. Sorry, no. We could learn from this particular animal. Generalizing the sentiment to the whole animal kingdom is absurd.

17. Is this Anjana from Busch Gardens? She’s famous (to me) for raising white tiger cubs relocated after Hurricane Katrina. If I knew how to upload a photo, I’d share my favorite shot of her! Here’s a link instead:

18. This has to be one of the sweetest posts ever! My heart is gonna asplode.

19. All I could utter was Ohhhhhh awwwww!

20. double dose of cuteness!!! *melts into a puddle of goo*

21. gah! Debg!!! *faints*

22. I know! Isn’t she great! And it’s not Anjana above–went to the story, and this male chimp lives in Thailand.

23. Wild applause!!!!

24. It was the “Humans are rarely this nice to each other” comment that bothered me. SO MANY great people in the world. SO MANY wonderful things they do, yet so many wanna dwell on the few-and-far-between Jeffrey Dahmers, Michael Vicks, and Charles Mansons.

It’s easier to get into that mindset because we are human and seemingly programmed to dwell on the awful things in life, perhaps as a defense mechanism; that won’t happen to ME! When something great happens, we are happy, but when something bad happens, we are often MUCH more saddened/angered/affected by it. And it’s funny, we’ll dwell and fret about the bad thing for weeks sometimes, but when something great happens, we forget about it within the day. It’s a shame too. I think we are all guilty of this, to an extent.

How many Jeffrey Dahmers do any of us know? It’s easy to name those kinds of people because it truly is a rarity and they are names that we hear over and over and over. When I feel down on humankind, I simply start thinking of people who are good: my family members, my neighbors, co-workers, former school chums, the folks who frequent Cuteoverload, all the people who volunteer their time and resources for thousands and thousands of others in need, that guy who stood there and held the door for me this morning when I was, clearly, farther away than a prudent person would have expected a door to be held for them…

I get the sentiment of your comment leelocka, and we CAN learn a lot from animals (and they, us) but I wholeheartedly disagree that ‘humans are rarely this nice to each other.’

Smile, the world is not as bad as it seems. :D

25. Fird Birfle says:

This MIGHT be it — this bit was on Youtube also. I haven’t taken a lot of time to process the source, etc but the url seems to be in Italiano…. I attempted cut/ paste/ copy but it might only allow for copying partial url …anyhow give it a try

License:

Standard YouTube License

26. Fird Birfle says:

ceejoe, if you don’t mind resuming life for a moment, did you turn in a DNR (do-not-resucitate) form or should we haul out the HK Defibrathingy???

Signed,
    Sensitive to Diversity of Life Choices.

27. Fird Birfle says:

*telephones the janitorial staff of the CO Emergency Qteness Dept*

28. OMG how sweet are those photos!!!!!!!!

29. Loverly!

30. TINEE TABBEE

31. No forms, no machines – happened too fast…

32. Fird Birfle says:

*telephones the family*

33. OK, I’m going to go out on a limb here and say you’re all wrong!

Actually, animals and human DO already have this in common: the BABIES get along just fine–or, if they don’t actually get along, they don’t kill/eat each other. If either the tiger or the chimp (or both) were adults, this would have had a very different and much bloodier outcome.

34. This is Chimp labour!……. geddit?!

35. Athena's mom says:

My favorite part is that the tigeh’s tocks are flat across the monkeh’s foot and he looks like a little rug

36. lisaLassie says:

But I bet they only pay him in chimp change.

37. Fird Birfle says:

*rings the bell from a boxing match*

lisaLassie WINS

38. Just to be a total nitpicker, the “lion lies down with the lamb” thing is not a real quote.

39. AWW :D What a sweet picture :D

40. Way to ruin my cute overload buzz with this rant. It was cute. It was sweet. That’s it. Now shut it and let’s get back to the cute aminals.

41. White Jenna says:

Anjana may be at Busch Gardens now (I don’t know), but the tiger cub raising took place at a different institution.

42. I agree wholeheartedly, Mamabear. Keep smiling!

43. I want both!

44. MinglesMommy says:

Beautiful. Great way to start the day :)

45. Valerie, I appreciate your brave and I think true biological comment. Humans don’t get the most objective evaluation when we’re spellbound with animal love. Now that we got that out of the way, back to the spellbinding cute-love!

46. Good truth to power there too Mama Bear. Friend request me at real name Harry Nagendra.

Alright…NOW back to cuteness.

47. White Jenna says:

Tigers live in Asia, chimps live in Africa.

48. Ah… ok. No critics allowed. That is what really makes me sad.

49. White Jenna says:

Yeah, I’ve got a comment that’s been waiting for moderation for over a day now, too. :(

50. Susie-Qute says:

Oh, why does everyone else have all the fun? “Petting a Tiger” is No.3 on my bucket list! …and I’m not getting any younger….Someday I’ll figure-out how to get it done.