Coo Coo Ca Choo

I didn’t know how cute walruses could be. No wonder Paul wanted to be one.

Check out little Mitik, who was lost and orphaned off the coast of Alaska, but rescued by a fisherman and taken in by Alaska Sealife Center.

Looks like I’m not the only one who has a new found appreciation for walruses. According to alert reporters over at Grist:

Walruses are the new “it” animal. They’re a towering masterpiece of ugly-cute — they like to snuggle and head-butt and play with a ball, and they’re covered in puppy fat, but they also look like Wilford Brimley! Plus, they have mustaches, which hipsters are still inexplicably into. Someone start an Etsy shop putting walruses on things. It’s gonna be huge.

Allie G. gets a fish for this submish.

Comments

1. I would totally snorgle this guy–and there’s a lot of him/her to love!

2. Goo goo goo joob, you mean!

3. And let me be the first to point out that he seems to have his bukkit nearby, unless that’s not what that blue thing in the back is.

4. that face is so sweet I might get the diabeetus just lookin’ at him :)

5. JackandLille's Human says:
  6. I’m so glad the little fellow was rescued and brought to a safe place. That face just melts my heart into goo.

7. That is truly a “WTF?!?!?” expression!

8. He looks so worried! I want to comfort him! I hope he gets to live happily ever after in a nice aquarium /sea animal center.

9. I got a bit of a walrush just looking at his picture.

10. You guuuys! I said, “Oooh, oooh, I’m gonna say something about his bukkit!”

But Starfish beat me to it. Then I thought, “Oooh, oooh, Wilford Brimley and diabeetus…”

But Tracylee, beat me to it. I’m just gonna chalk it up to great minds thinking alike.

No matter, I’m gonna post this anyhow because it ALWAYS makes me laugh. No, I mean like some squinting, breathless, psycho; then when it gets to :51, I really kick it in, sputter, and am unable to catch my breath, but wait! When he starts poking you with his pen at 1:23, I lose my bladder. Every dang time. :D

Enjoy your soiled britches:

11. Portland, OR, could have new slogan~~Put a Walrus On It :~)

12. HA! I caught that too! Good for him, I hope nobody takes hiz bukkit!
    “I am the LOLrus!”

13. DUDES, PEEPS! WE ARE GETTING HIM! I MEAN WE IN NEW YORK! THIS GUY! WE ARE GETTING HIM!!! *gasp gasp* *THUD*

14. He can clean his own swimming pool using his muzzle as a scrubbing brush.

15. Anybody know where Leslie left the Hello Kitty defibramathingy?

16. I’ll be there in a coupl’a weeks maybe I can pay him a visit :)

17. Plus, he’s IN a bukkit!

18. *waves pom poms*
    Theresa! TheREEsa! Theresa! TheREEsa!

Thanks for sharing this. Ima need that heart shocker thing too, skippymom!
    There are SOOO many good parts to this video!

19. dang! he’ll still be in quarantine :(
    next time fer sher

20. *reviving* OMG, OMG WE ARE GETTING TEH BEHBEH WALRUS!!! *jumps up and down hysterically, flapping arms*

21. 100% right! John was the walrus, originally, then later threw the bone to the “Paul is dead” folks by saying “here’s another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul”
    Any way you look at it, this little guy is adorable and I want to hug him until his head flies off.
    (coo coo ca choo is from “Mrs. Robinson” ;)

22. There was a great article about them in our paper yesterday. Apparently they are very snuggly and love to lay on the caretakers

23. skippymom says:

*hooking up Mamabear to the defibrajiggy*
    Where the heck is Fird, I don’t really know how to use this thing.

24. JackandLille's Human says:

I tried to post a link earlier about those two walruses and their snuggling habits (yes! a whole article about snuggles) but it is stuck in moderation. I’m pretty jealous of Theresa right now!

25. Just one more reason that “I want to go there” has become my mantra for whenever the words “New York” are said within earshot of me.

26. Great video! Those guys are big, think they need a bigger pool. Love the part where one one them blows in the caretakers face…too funny!

27. skippymom says:

Let’s all go crash at Theresa’s place and we can visit the baby walrus.

28. New York better treat this sweet guy right. Give him lots of love.

(Just have to say I always enjoy seeing people working with wildlife who clearly LOVE their jobs. Total win-win for everyone!)

29. Fleurdamour says:

Why didn’t NYC have a baby walrus when I lived there? Sniffle.

30. fleurdamour says:

So…blobbular…

31. Fird Birfle says:

*telephones the local internist specialty office to schedule
    bladder reconstructive surgery for Mamabear*

32. Fird Birfle says:

such an effective crisis intervention response, there, Th :)

33. Fird Birfle says:

“Here I YAM, to save the daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy…..”
    (when you click on the below, it’s very tiny, *BUT* keep your eye on the figure for several seconds:

34. Fird Birfle says:

oh YAY

35. Fird Birfle says:

It was CLEARLY a conspiracy :)

36. He looks more like the Myth Busters guy if you ask me…

37. I was thinking that. Where’s his beret?

38. Did they have the big guy, Akituusaq? I loved him, he was awesome.

39. Whoops, my mistake. The big guy was Ayveq, and HE was awesome. Akituusaq was Ayveq’s son, and unfortunately, they both died a few years ago (Baroooooooo!). Walruses rock!

40. Fird Birfle says:

YAY
    shakes walrus pompoms, which have admirable whiskas

(NO not the cat snack, actual long Brimley ‘staches…)

41. Fird Birfle says:

YAY for the Ol’ College Try at your trying to make that link avail!!!

42. Fird Birfle says:

I can bring some futons. Will you be bringing your furry housemates??

43. *Arranging side-outing to Olaf’s Pizza Palace*

44. Fird Birfle says:

tracylee: just in case you visit somebody down here below the Mason-Dixon Line,
    we-uns aren’t too partial to admitting that the diabeetus EXISTS.

We might, on occasion, admit that there’s “something up with my SUGAR”.

But that’s as close as we like to approach, admitting any ACTUAL
    medical issues….

45. Ooh look! He has a bucket! http://www.walrusbucketsaga.com/

46. I’d volunteer to snuggle a baby walrus!

47. Wish I had mad Photoshop skills to put a lil hat on him. The resemblance would be downright scary then.

48. “Snuggling with a baby walrus feels like being pinned under a warm, very chubby person who is wearing a damp velour jumpsuit that smells faintly, almost pleasantly, like low tide” is the best thing I will read today. I know this.

49. I’m from down here below the Line, firdie :)

“Ah ain’t got the ‘beetus, I just need to sit down a minute and have some tea”

50. 1. Why?
    2. Why?
    3. Why?

51. I also noted instantly that “Haz Bukkit!”
    Good to know you guys are on it!

52. walruses are the pugs-of-the-sea, but with mustaches

53. Just an update on Mitik! He survived Sandy! The staff at NY Aquarium stayed during Sandy and help keep Mitik safe. http://www.thenewyorkworld.com/2012/10/30/new-york-aquarium-submerged-baby-walrus-safe/