Why I Otter!

Hold on tight, friends, cuz it’s…

BABY OTTERS!

Here’s some waiting in line for school portrait day.

Now, a bored baby otter.

And, finally, we have one that is more attentive than all the otters.

We hoped you enjoyed this otter interlude!

Photos by Jeff J. Mitchell for Getty Images.

Comments

1. BAHAHAHahahahahaha. School picture day. *giggles* Do they all have their complimentary plastic combs?

2. Blue Footed Booby says:

Dibbuns.

Did anyone else read the Redwall books growing up?

3. Mary (the first) says:

Love the whiskers!! (It just occurred to me, I love whiskers on critters but not on myself. Why is that??)

4. gah!! look at theri wee little webbed feets!! squeeeee!!!

5. Teacher’s Pet!

6. There is nothing not to like about an otter or a herd of otters. :)

7. Kari Callin says:

Look out! Look out!
    Baby otters are on parade
    Here they come!
    Slinkety ,hoppety
    They’re here and there
    Baby otters are everywhere!
    ;D

8. I was thinking exactly the same thing, Ace! Otters are sure cute.

9. Stands Up Wildly Applauding! Whisltes and Cat Calls too!

10. that was supposed to say Whistles.

11. And how am I supposed to get any work down now?

12. First pic: On-ramp for the Otterbahn.

13. They weren’t around when I was growing up, but I tried to read one as an adult. I decided I no longer have the attention span to keep all of the characters straight. Sigh.

14. Blue Footed Booby says:

Hahaha, my first thought was “then you better not try to read Game of Thrones.” My second thought was “holy hell I’d love to read a GoT style book in the Redwall universe.”

Anywho, “Dibbuns” was the term for the children at Redwall Abbey, who were an mix of mice, hares, moles, otters, and various others. The otters were notorious for being the most naughty.

15. If you’d like to see an otterly touching movie, try Ring of Bright Water. m.e.l.t.s. the heart…and makes you want to move to Scotland, raise an otter and fall in love (umm with another hoomin, not an otter)

16. The one in the middle photo looks like he’s planning some mischief.

17. Hmmm maybe that’s why I resonate so well with him :)
    *hides in the mod lounge waiting for the next unsuspecting victim*

18. Yes, that is a GREAT movie. (but why not fall in love with an otter?)

19. Catwhisperer says:

OMG – I was just recently trying to remember that title. I blocked it out of my memory because it traumatized me so much. To this day, I refer to it as the Most Horrible Movie I Have Ever Seen in My Life!

20. Catwhisperer says:

I guess I’m your huckleberry, Emmylee. My review of Ring of Bright Water was not so glowing…

21. bored otter?

it’s a new oxymoron!

22. skippymom says:

According to Wikipedia, the collective nouns for otters are bevy, family, lodge or romp, or raft when they are in the water.

23. ’cause I can’t swim!

24. skippymom says:

Oh.

25. Fird Birfle says:

Bell melody:

The More You Know ……

26. Fird Birfle says:

regrettably Not Meg’s First Priority….

27. Fird Birfle says:

28. Fird Birfle says:

ummm, Emmm: I ALREADY want to move to Sco’land. But ‘t’has naught tah do wif no ottahrs ….

29. In light of skippymom’s post above, maybe that should be “on-romp” for the Otterbahn.

30. Same here.

31. It’s the hairy coos, isn’t it Fird? ;-)

32. *throws confetti at Catwhisperer* Ta Dah!!!!….be glad it wasn’t the pie :)

33. Fird Birfle says:

Ay, but don’ bee fergittin’ tha wee’ fuzzee lambies, Ali-Baba :)

34. Alice Shortcake says:

I saw that film with my mother when it was first released. We were both in tears at the end and cried all the way home.

35. cellarmouse says:

my… that’s a lotta otters…

36. I know. My little brother and I used to go to the Palo Alto Theatre on University Avenue for Tuesday Movies. “My Side of The Mountain” was the best sort of movie. “Ring of Bright Water” was awful–we had to take the bus home afterwards and I was just destroyed. I judged all sad movies against that one for years and years.