I… I Can’t Believe He’s Gone

We grew up together, he and I. When I was a kitten, I’d pull up my special chair, and we’d look at the world together in wonder, as only children could. Everything and everyone fascinated him, and he showed me that all people, rich and poor alike, had something interesting about them, something worth knowing.

And then the years passed. I grew up, we grew apart. I guess I took him for granted, assumed he’d always be there. And now… I just feel so… empty.

Via April Killingsworth on Flickr.

Comments

1. 260Oakley says:

That’s right. “Mittens” and his buddies are totally opposed to Big Bird government.

2. rescue gal says:

Look at that face? How can you take away his Big Bird? Think of the kitties!

3. I love your brain, Oakley!

4. So does this mean that he’s going to join Grover in the breadline? Poor guy hasn’t caught a break since he got replaced by that younger Elmo Gen-xer.

5. can you tell me how to get…how to get…BAWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

6. fleurdamour says:

Catfurred-upon-Avian

7. Genious!!

8. 260Oakley says:

Catbird seat (inspired by but not nearly as brill as fleur’s)

9. *sniff*

10. He’s not gone as long as he’s in your heart, pretty kittie!

11. Fleurdamour says:

12. Well, tough tweets for Mr. Bird, but at some point the filthy squawker has to get a real job and survive entirely on his own instead of sleeping on our sofas and eating our cats.

13. I second that, Bashful :)

14. That reminds me very strongly of this (which makes me baroo every time I see it):

15. ..waves a little American Flag..

Don’t worry kitty, since everyone (including Romney) loves Big Bird, Sesame Street will always be available via donations & such. Supply & demand, peeps: the demand for puppet-y goodness is high, so we will always figure out how to supply it.

…I propose that Romney steps up his cute factor by appearing on Sesame Street to do a little American History segment or something if he’s elected. Surrounded by fluffy kittens.

16. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Thank you. PBS isn’t going away. Big Bird is safe.

17. stbernardmom says:

Charles Krauthammer, referencing Mitt’s declaration that he loves Big Bird but would drop PBS if it meant borrowing money from China to keep PBS on-air: “Thanksgiving is coming up.” I WHOLE-HEARTEDLY AGREE !!!! Go MITTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. It’s a shame you had to bring politics into this. Is there any place that is free of politics?

19. I’d say we (Americans) are pretty fortunate to escape politics at all. I daresay Syrians, Zimbabweans, Columbians, Russians, Pakistanis and most of the world, really, dream of freedom from politics. Hang in there, it’s almost over!

20. My sister had that Big Bird chair when she was little!

21. How about dropping a tax cut for the 1% instead since it would save more money? Cutting PBS to avoid borrowing money is like deleting txt messages off your computer hard drive to save space. But then Kraut has always been opposed to teaching people. He doesn’t want anyone to be smarter than he thinks he is.

22. Will the kittens be on top of his car or be the cause for a tax refund?

23. LOL!

24. Neither of Those Other Mikes says:

This would be troubling, except that it seems very, very likely to me that by this time next week, certain viewpoints on Big Bird will have shifted 180 degrees without any explanation or reference to the previous viewpoint.

25. 4leafclover says:

Am I the only one who is wondering how the legs of that Big Bird chair have not buckled under the weight of that, erm… extremely floofy cat?!
    Signed,
    No offense kitteh–I’m floofy too!

26. Didn’t you hear? Big Bird has gone to organize the Million Muppet March.

27. Hmmm, now what put me in the mod lounge? Has to be one of the “M” words. *searches around for the cookies*

28. phred's mom says:

Excellent, you well-named person, you. What we
    Americans go through every campaign is annoying,
    not fatal. I call this the “silly season”. As you said,
    It’s almost over.

29. I have no such faith. I think if we don’t want PBS and Sesame Street to be cut, we need to get ourselves and everyone we know to VOTE!

30. kallisto73 says:

Okay, I believe that there is a reference to something Mitt Romney said about Sesame Street that I, as an Irish person living in Ireland, simply don’t get. Would anyone care to enlighten me?

31. He wants to cut PBS’ funding, the TV station the show is running on. Since the station’s budget is a really small part of the federal budget, this would do almost nothing. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I think that many right-wingers believe that PBS has some political agenda to teach “leftist” ideas to kids, and therefore want the station to go away.

32. In a recent debate, Romney said he wanted to cut funding to the Public Broadcasting System, which is where you find Sesame Street. He specifically said “I love Big Bird!” (The entire yearly government funding for PBS is about one one-hundredth of one percent of the entire federal budget. )

33. Totes agree.

34. Yeah, because PBS actually EDUCATES people instead of edumacating them. It’s always easier to manipulate the ignorant, so let’s keep ‘em that way. Those guys wanting to cut PBS are all lying sacks of sh*it, if you ask me, with the agenda of sending us back into the Middle Ages. Vote vote vote like a stoat! *steps off soapbox*.

35. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Or……..donate money to PBS.

36. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

He said that he was going to decide what needed cutting from the budget based on whether we needed it enough to keep borrowing from China.

37. that may not do it. how about Romney donates some of his money to PBS ;)

38. Also that Romney’s nickname is “Mittens,” which is a common name for cats who look like they’re wearing mittens

39. That is so not the problem. The problem is Mittens thinks he can eliminate deficit by cutting things that count for a tiny fraction of the budget. That’s like saying you can balance you household budget by buying fewer stamps while still buying enough shoes to shod an army and sinking at least $75 a week in gas guzzling SUVs.

40. Exactly. Some people just can’t stand knowing there are people smarter than them who can prove them wrong.

41. He’s not heavy, just floofy. At least that’s what he keeps telling us. :)