Encounter at the Suds-O-Mat

They sat on the bench in silence, staring straight ahead at the laundry tumbling in their respective dryers. The small dog on his knee was an inheritance of sorts, from an ex-girlfriend last seen on the back of a Harley, fresh tattoo still healing on her thigh, leaving him behind for parts unknown. The large dog had been meant to provide a sense of protection, but had mainly protected her from the prospect of a second date, having chased a long line of suitors off her front porch never to return.

The small dog looked at the large dog. The large dog looked at the small dog. And though neither could speak, they caught a glint of awareness in each others’ eyes, a shared spark that united them in thought, and in that brilliant moment they both knew… they really, really liked bacon.

Via The Daily Puppy on Facebook.

Comments

1. skippymom says:

Hooray for Classic Nomtom!

2. You got me that time, NOMTOM. I just guffawed out loud.

3. In a library.

4. ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Embarrassed Reader

5. Big puppy looks just like my twin pups did when they were about 6 months old (they are 170 and 120 lbs now – German Shepherd/Great Pyrenees mix). Boone, the big boy, LOVES little dogs. They are his favorite playmates at the dog park.

6. freetomato says:

The big pup looks exactly like my twin pups did at about 6 months old (German Shepherd/Great Pyrenees mix – now 2 years old, 170 lbs and 120 lbs). Boone, the big boy, just LOVES little dogs. They are his favorite playmates at the dog park.

7. skippymom says:

or whatever his name is

8. Must love dogs!
    [Nomtom you're a riot]

9. Mary (the first) says:

Little dog’s thinking, “I sure hope that big galoot realizes I am NOT bacon, even though I’m tiny and kind of red-brown and white mottled. NOT bacon.”

10. skippymom says:

Big dog thinks little dog is a chocolate-chip cookie.

11. I am forever amazed by the different size dogs come in, from teeny little Chihuahua to enormous English Mastiff to fast and sleek Greyhound. Sometime they don’t seem to be the same specie. :lol:

12. Fird Birfle says:

13. Fird Birfle says:

JUNO wot tha CRAP were you DOING, when you continued to read a NTM story, once you realized that it WAS a NTM story, inside a liberry?????

Signed,
    “Doctor, doctor — it hurts, when I do this….”

14. Fird Birfle says:

PS: JK — I’m just being mischevious.

15. Such doglike common ground. Great job Mike.

16. “Also, my tail really hurts…”

17. I know NTMTOM as soon as I read it! Bravo! Author, author!

18. Are you sure it’s “playing?” Our GS was obsessed with herding small dogs playing at the dog park. She really was quite a wet blanket.

19. bwahahahaha!!!! Oh how i love your word play NOMTOM :)

20. I reference that post all the time (in conversations with myself)

21. my Grey made friends with a Bassett… it’s about as far apart on the species chart as you can get :)
    polar opposites, but played like there weren’t any differences

22. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

When my nieces, now 11 and 13, were first getting to swim without their water wings, and thus go in the deep end, they were diving off the board at my in-laws’ pool. We had brought our Husky along. She has grown up with these girls. She was okay until they jumped off the board and went beneath the surface of the water, and then she would follow them alongside of the pool until they popped up again. The first time she saw one of them jump off the board, she actually jumped in to go rescue her!

23. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

Can I just say that “Boone” is a GREAT name for a GS/GP mix? What a wonderful doggy he must be!

24. noellesbootcutkittenpants says:

P.S. OUR GP mix is skeered of little dogs! Really.

25. Fird Birfle says:

YAY for the protective Husky babysitter!!! :)

26. songbirdnurse says:

Mmmm….baaaacon :-P

27. My chihuahua’s best friends in doggy daycare were a chow, a german short haired pointer and a standard poodle. The bigger, the better for my leetle runtlet.

My Lily has fewer chocolate markings on her but she is basically the dog in the picture above. :)

28. freetomato says:

Sorry for the doublepost – WordPress and my phone don’t agree. I’m pretty sure he’s playing – he does the play bow and frolicks with them.He has, though, herded toddlers away from the water when we’ve been at the lake.

29. freetomato says:

Thanks! His twin sister is named Ellie (husband is from Boone County, KY and Ellie is in honor of Carl’s wife in “Up”). They are wonderful, if huge and extra sheddy/floofy.

30. That looks a lot like my vet’s office.

31. *sniff* What a touching story. *sniff-sniff*

32. What I was doing reading the post in a library: it’s what I like to call, um, er, using the term loosely . . . ‘working.’

Signed,

“Then don’t DO that!”

33. maryberry says:

“Oh, my leetle one-bite… come closer….” In our neighborhood we rank a dog by how many bites it would take for a big woof to scarf it down – ALWAYS meant jokingly. :-)

34. Fird Birfle says:

*tee hee* :)

35. Dogs are so wonderful.

36. Oh, I was only joshing. Some dogs can only handle one job at a time and Sasha was definitely a highly specialized girl. She didn’t really get playing or fetching or goofing around. Which is why we immediately adopted a sweet and bouncy little Chihuahua+Rat Terrier to torture her.

37. Kallisto73 says:

Nomtom, I like this! Well done!

38. Not in this picture anyway.